Premed 101 Forums

Were Your Pst Mmi Feelings Accurate?

next.med88

looooooool

I had 1 interview a couple years ago. Walked out of thinking I was the fucking man. For sure the #1 interviewee they'd seen all day. Happy by Pharrell had come out recently - blasted that shit on repeat while rocking out in my car for 3 hours while I drove home.

30ish percentile. 

F

M

L

Mine were not. I was smiling and felt fine coming out (although I knew that there were one or two stations that were probably iffy) and then got a Below Average interview score. It was pretty rattling. I started second guessing every human interaction I've ever had (am I really just awful and awkward but never noticed because that's just normal for me and no one ever told me!?). Had a mini mental breakdown. Then decided I was going to go over the entire interview in my head ONCE, write down 4 things that I thought could be improved upon for next cycle, then forget about the interview and move on. I realize this is probably not very comforting to hear. I have many friends who had the exact opposite happen (were sure they bombed and then got in) so just remember that I'm just one person!

I think it's nearly impossible to tell accurately, given that some interviews can purposefully react in blank-faced/rude, etc. ways, and it has nothing to do with your answer, it's just what they might have been told to do.

A smiling interviewer will make you think you did great, but there's no way to tell how they scored you compared to a cold interviewer

• 2 weeks later...

This is a feeling that gnaws at me.

I usually can accurately gauge my performance in my endeavours, whether it's sports, academics, or social interactions/interviews. If anything, I undersell myself a bit due to the impostor syndrome I'm sure many of us are familiar with (also props to snacks for the Dunning-Kruger effect mention)

There were only two times in my life where I misjudged my performance: the 2015 MCAT (positively) and my U of C mmi last year (negatively).

But when I reflected on my MMI experience from last year I realized that halfway through, I was losing energy and failed at some stations on some of the basics: adequate eye contact, fidgeting, and blunted affect. This occurred at a few stations.

So for this year's MMI I ensured I was on my A-game for the basics: handshakes, eye contact, smiles (when appropriate), use of the interviewer's name, etc. I count that as a success and as an improvement from last year. I felt that for many stations my answers and performances were great while for others I could have given answers of more substance (you can always do better). Overall, I think it went well and hopefully my internal barometer for performance will prove accurate.

And remember, most of us may have performed above-average compared to the rest of society only to be outperformed by someone even more stellar during these interviews.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived