Premed 101 Forums

Is It Too Late To Try For Medicine?

UBCguy284

Hi. So I am 20 years old and halfway through my second year of undergrad. Recently I've decided I'd like to pursue medicine. I have only taken 1 semester with a full course load, and my cGPA is 3.3 which sucks. In all fairness I've been dealing with a lot for the past year and looking back now I am thinking that going to university when my problems haven't been resolved was a big mistake.  I haven't taken any sciences yet either. If I realistically want to get into a medical school let's say, in the next 3 years and preferably in Canada, what do you guys suggest I do? I had someone tell me to just bring my GPA up to a 3.8+ and study for the MCAT on my own time because apparently UBC dropped the science pre requisite requirements, but I feel like since I barely have a science background I would not be able to do that and would have to take the courses in undergrad to remotely understand them. A friend also suggested I apply to McMaster if I bring my GPA up. Thanks for the advice. 

I can't speak for those schools specifically, but regardless of where you apply, you need to bring your GPA up. There are people a lot older than you are that get are starting medicine, or even starting an undergraduate degree. My recommendation is that if you have things going on right now that you believe to be the causative agent for your GPA, I recommend taking a little bit of time off to get it resolved before you try and continue. There is a topic somewhere along here that was revived about being a premed is contributing to their mental illness. I cannot stress this enough; your health comes before school. Every time. A 3.3 is far from a be-all and end-all situation, so don't be disheartened by it, since many schools will drop GPA's for one reason or another, so, depending on where you plan to apply to you'll want to keep that in mind as well. Assuming you finished out this year you have 2 years left, which may not be enough to get you an interview, however, there are other options such as grad school or a second degree to consider as well, but, take it one step at a time.

I can't speak for those schools specifically, but regardless of where you apply, you need to bring your GPA up. There are people a lot older than you are that get are starting medicine, or even starting an undergraduate degree. My recommendation is that if you have things going on right now that you believe to be the causative agent for your GPA, I recommend taking a little bit of time off to get it resolved before you try and continue. There is a topic somewhere along here that was revived about being a premed is contributing to their mental illness. I cannot stress this enough; your health comes before school. Every time. A 3.3 is far from a be-all and end-all situation, so don't be disheartened by it, since many schools will drop GPA's for one reason or another, so, depending on where you plan to apply to you'll want to keep that in mind as well. Assuming you finished out this year you have 2 years left, which may not be enough to get you an interview, however, there are other options such as grad school or a second degree to consider as well, but, take it one step at a time.

Thanks for your response. 

I second the above, just try and bring up your GPA, see how much/if you can, and then go from there. You might want to consider a 5th year later on. I would consider taking from science courses, like intro chem/bio if things go well and you plan to take the MCAT though. Not 100% necessary, but it could be a lot easier than trying to learn all the content from scratch. 

It's absolutely not too late to start though, and I think UBC does drop a year of credits if you apply after having completed 4th year, so that could help a lot 

Hey UBCguy284. Yeah it is too late. You should start seriously considering hooking. You're young. That's a plus. If you're not too strong in the looks department you could consider taking up drug dealing. That's a pretty easy profession.

In all seriousness though, you're still young, man. Even if a 5th year isn't an option for you, don't be afraid of doing a second degree. I'm 27 and starting my first degree. So even if you start a second degree at 22 you would still be several years ahead of me. So don't worry about that part: you're not too old. 

Hey UBCguy284. Yeah it is too late. You should start seriously considering hooking. You're young. That's a plus. If you're not too strong in the looks department you could taking up drug dealing. That's a pretty easy profession.

In all seriousness though, you're still young, man. Even if a 5th year isn't an option for you, don't be afraid of doing a second degree. I'm 27 and starting my first degree. So even if you start a second degree at 22 you would still be several years ahead of me. So don't worry about that part: you're not too old. 

Getting closer to 24 here, just about finished my second degree. I second your opinion, just keep working on that GPA UBCguy, and if things don't work out when you're done, keep trying if that is what you want to do. I got a sweet second career lined up for me if this doesn't work out, and heck I still want to try one more time if I don't make it this cycle at some point. People apply when they are 30, 35, etc. Everyone wants to do things in a rush and get life started, but medicine is a life long art. Just do your best in school, and experience as much as you can out of life, it will only help you as a physician having a ton of life experience. Good luck :).

If it is your dream to become a doctor, then I don't think it is ever too late :).  You can also look into applying to u of c. U of c tends to be more forgiving of lower MCAT scores and GPA if you demonstrate that you are mature and have great work / volunteer experience.

Archived