Premed 101 Forums

How Is One W On Your Transcript Perceived?

Hi guys, 

So I found out only a week ago that the UBC has decided to drop all prerequisites (except for English) for applicants (decision was passed Jan 21st).

This sucked for me as I had applied to complete Biochem online (my only missing prereq) through Athabasca U in December and therefore I am ineligible for a refund or withdrawal without a permanent "W" on my transcript. I really want to withdraw from the course as I am only 2/13 done, and I can focus more on my research/ECs/TAing (I'm a first year MSc student) but I am afraid that this one W will be perceived as poor academic commitment. 

Any thoughts or suggestions? Also do we have to disclose EVERY single transcript to UBC even if we only complete (in my case just withdrew from) one course at that school? 

Hi guys, 

So I found out only a week ago that the UBC has decided to drop all prerequisites (except for English) for applicants (decision was passed Jan 21st).

This sucked for me as I had applied to complete Biochem online (my only missing prereq) through Athabasca U in December and therefore I am ineligible for a refund or withdrawal without a permanent "W" on my transcript. I really want to withdraw from the course as I am only 2/13 done, and I can focus more on my research/ECs/TAing (I'm a first year MSc student) but I am afraid that this one W will be perceived as poor academic commitment. 

Any thoughts or suggestions? Also do we have to disclose EVERY single transcript to UBC even if we only complete (in my case just withdrew from) one course at that school? 

Why not just take your time and finish the course? It's not a bad course at all through Athabasca, and you have ample time to get it done at 6 months + extensions if needed.  Considering the sunk cost you already put into it... you may as well see it through and just take it easy. Do a few hours every week, as you will surely have that time. You'll only be much busier in medicine. And this is very useful knowledge for when you are in medical school - by not doing it, you're just deferring that extra time needed to learn it until later. Where you will have much more on your plate etc.

BUT if you really want to withdraw, that W isn't going to make a difference. Not a big deal at all. ITs a pattern of W's that is concerning, not an isolated instance.  

I think though if you have submitted any assignments already then you may not be able to get a withdrawal.

And yes, you obviously DO HAVE TO submit that transcript from AU. IF you didn't and they find out, you could see your acceptance vanish. 

Thanks for the input guys! I wasn't going to take the risk in not disclosing it but just wanted to double check 

The thing is that I've already completed introductory Biochemistry (BCHM 218 at Queen's) during my undergrad which is very similar to CHEM 301 at Athabasca- it just so happens that CHEM 301 was in the OOP pre-requiste list while BCHM 218 wasn't. So my mental dilemma is that since I have already completed such a similar course why put in all the time and energy in completing a course that is no longer required for my application? But maybe that isn't the right way of thinking about it?

Thanks for the input guys! I wasn't going to take the risk in not disclosing it but just wanted to double check 

The thing is that I've already completed introductory Biochemistry (BCHM 218 at Queen's) during my undergrad which is very similar to CHEM 301 at Athabasca- it just so happens that CHEM 301 was in the OOP pre-requiste list while BCHM 218 wasn't. So my mental dilemma is that since I have already completed such a similar course why put in all the time and energy in completing a course that is no longer required for my application? But maybe that isn't the right way of thinking about it?

The flip side is that you already paid 800$ for it, and since you say there is overlap, then it should be even quicker to get done. 

Again, do what you want to do of course - as long as you're fine losing the money.

I also had two W's on my transcript (a third year philosophy course and political science).  No one knows for sure, but it is the whole picture that counts.  The admissions committee screens for red flags.  An isolated W is not a red flag from my perspective, even if it is in biochemistry. 

Archived