Premed 101 Forums

Should I Find A New Career?

I have been a paramedic for a year. I went to school for it and did decent during the writing part but not as well in my clinical time but I still got through it. I only work about 4-8 shifts a month and I am not improving at it, I'm not getting better. I thought that if I kept going with it, it would get better but it has not. 

I am not happy with this job any more but I can't tell if it is because of my lack of experience or the fact that I am not good at it. 

Also, my manager has just put me through a mentorship program and it is just about to start to help me improve at my job (so clearly it is a problem). 

Should I keep trying as a paramedic or find a new career and explain why please?

What made you decide to go into this career field? Maybe reflect upon those reasons and see if there's another related that be of interest to you (physio, occupational therapy, perhaps?). But my vote is also to finish the mentoring program and see how it goes from there since it's only a month long. Also maybe try talking to co-workers who've been in the field for awhile to get some perspective. 

I have been a paramedic for a year. I went to school for it and did decent during the writing part but not as well in my clinical time but I still got through it. I only work about 4-8 shifts a month and I am not improving at it, I'm not getting better. I thought that if I kept going with it, it would get better but it has not. 

I am not happy with this job any more but I can't tell if it is because of my lack of experience or the fact that I am not good at it. 

Also, my manager has just put me through a mentorship program and it is just about to start to help me improve at my job (so clearly it is a problem). 

Should I keep trying as a paramedic or find a new career and explain why please?

Have you tried to do this at FT or with OT? I mean 4-8 shifts a month is almost nothing even if you've been doing it for a year. You need to be doing it all the time to gain significant traction. 

- G

I think there is some sort of disconnect between your personal expectations and the reality of the job. It would be helpful if you were able to bring these to light and perhaps discuss with another paramedic with some more experience. I think that this month of doing the program would be a great time to reflect on this but at the same time try to keep and open mind about being a paramedic based on the experiences of this month long program. I would suggest to bring everything together at the end of the program and make a decision then (if this was enough time of course). There is nothing wrong with a career change. Many people do it and I know of a few people who actually regretted staying in their first career for such a long time. Regardless, this is definitely not a decision that can be taken lightly and I think it requires quite a bit of analysis and reflection on your part. 

Archived