Premed 101 Forums

Carms 2016- 2Nd Iteration

Unfortunately I did not match..which is disappointing... Anyone know how it is to match in the post match process ... Programs who have left over spots do they still try to fill?

Your home school usually have faculty that are willing to help and support you through the scramble: if you're still interested in matching this year, meet up with them. They're aware of the spots that are left in their faculty and are willing to assist you in getting a spot in a program of your school. Unfortunately it's usually only family medicine, so if you don't like the specialty, it'll be a tough call. My big in medschool didn't match after two rounds, and he ended up matching in family in a remote city... Not exactly his choice/best fit, but he didn't want to try to wait another year.

Best of luck! Otherwise your home school can also assist you in finding an appropriate research master. 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately I did not match..which is disappointing... Anyone know how it is to match in the post match process ... Programs who have left over spots do they still try to fill?

Looks like the spots left after 2nd round are all lab specialties. If you are serious about matching into anything, and have the faintest lab-related experience, then it may be worthwhile to call the programs. If you cannot see yourself doing pathology or lab micro (which is understandable), then might as well wait for next year. If you have any experience with peds, then maybe try the med genetics spots.

Looks like the spots left after 2nd round are all lab specialties. If you are serious about matching into anything, and have the faintest lab-related experience, then it may be worthwhile to call the programs. If you cannot see yourself doing pathology or lab micro (which is understandable), then might as well wait for next year. If you have any experience with peds, then maybe try the med genetics spots.

If anyone wants to talk to someone about Medical Genetics as an option, I was one of the admittedly small number of applicants from the first round. I decided to rank my preferred peds spots above my medical genetics spots so I'm not going into it, but I have some insight into what medical genetics is like as a field (and contacts in medical genetics programs). If you're considering it for the scramble and need to talk to someone about it, I'm happy to give my thoughts. 

And I wouldn't say it's only a good specialty for people with an interest in pediatrics - obstetrics and also internal (especially oncology) are definitely also reasonably related. It has far more patient contact than people often think, and definitely has a large counseling aspect to it too. That being said, I don't know how programs decide which students to take and which not to take in the scramble. I imagine a previously demonstrated interest in something at least slightly related would probably help, but I don't personally know how necessary or unnecessary it is. 

Archived