Premed 101 Forums

Question About Full-Time Status For U Of T (Not Full-Course Load)

On the U of T website it says "GPA is calculated using grades from all courses taken at an undergraduate level on a full-time basis.  All course grades are included in a single GPA, including grades from multiple degree programs, multiple universities, and/or from full-time non-degree study (e.g. a fifth year of courses taken following a four-year degree).  We do not weight grades differently based on year of study. Courses taken on a part-time basis, including summer courses, are not included in the applicant's GPA calculation. 

I'm currently taking courses as a non-degree student and based on what it says on the website I know that the non-degree courses will count towards my GPA calculation but does anyone know how many courses you have to take to be considered as full-time status? I took 5 last semester and I'm taking 5 this semester but I'm thinking of dropping 3 so that'd would bring my total credits for the whole year to 3.0. 

I called the admissions office a few weeks ago and the person there said that 5 one sem and 2 the other would be fine but I spoke to my registrar today (U of T) they said that 2 courses in a semester is considered part-time. I've emailed the adcomms to confirm but not sure how long they'll take to reply!

A full course load is considered to be 5.0 credits or in other words 10 courses from the regular academic period of Sept-April. So in your case, it you drop the 3 courses this semester, your non-degree academic year will not be considered a full time year to them and therefore making you ineligible for the wGPA.

I was actually wondering about full-time status v.s part-time status. This is different from the course load because you can still take less than five courses (ie: 3 or 4) and be considered  a full-time student and while the U of T won't apply the weighting formula they'll still use those grades from the 4 courses.

My question is how U of T Med calculates full-time status, is it based on how many courses you take a semester or based on the whole academic year? 

I was actually wondering about full-time status v.s part-time status. This is different from the course load because you can still take less than five courses (ie: 3 or 4) and be considered  a full-time student and while the U of T won't apply the weighting formula they'll still use those grades from the 4 courses.

My question is how U of T Med calculates full-time status, is it based on how many courses you take a semester or based on the whole academic year? 

I would just contact them again directly (MD admissions, not your college register) because undergrad can be different from med criteria just because I think it seems like a unique situation and in my opinion you're better off safe than sorry here! 

• 2 years later...

On 3/9/2016 at 4:29 PM, ChocoMania said:

On the U of T website it says "GPA is calculated using grades from all courses taken at an undergraduate level on a full-time basis.  All course grades are included in a single GPA, including grades from multiple degree programs, multiple universities, and/or from full-time non-degree study (e.g. a fifth year of courses taken following a four-year degree).  We do not weight grades differently based on year of study. Courses taken on a part-time basis, including summer courses, are not included in the applicant's GPA calculation. 

I'm currently taking courses as a non-degree student and based on what it says on the website I know that the non-degree courses will count towards my GPA calculation but does anyone know how many courses you have to take to be considered as full-time status? I took 5 last semester and I'm taking 5 this semester but I'm thinking of dropping 3 so that'd would bring my total credits for the whole year to 3.0. 

I called the admissions office a few weeks ago and the person there said that 5 one sem and 2 the other would be fine but I spoke to my registrar today (U of T) they said that 2 courses in a semester is considered part-time. I've emailed the adcomms to confirm but not sure how long they'll take to reply!

Hey, did you find the answer to your question? I'm in a similar position and am also wondering if UToronto considers full-time status (not full-course load) to be based on one semester or based on the entire year (September-April). Thanks!!

• 4 months later...

Archived