Premed 101 Forums

Class Size + Waitlist Movement

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My understanding is that Queens has 100 seats for first year students. But 10 of those are reserved for QuARMS and 3 are for MD/PhD. So we if you receive an interview you are competing for 87 seats. I've never heard of waitlist tiers so I'm not sure about that one... I made the assumption it was 1 for 1 in terms of waitlist movement. So everyone on Waitlist is ranked and when a seat opens up (someone declines an offer) then the highest ranked applicant on the waitlist moves into a seat and is extended an offer. Not 100% on that though

My understanding is that Queens has 100 seats for first year students. But 10 of those are reserved for QuARMS and 3 are for MD/PhD. So we if you receive an interview you are competing for 87 seats. I've never heard of waitlist tiers so I'm not sure about that one... I made the assumption it was 1 for 1 in terms of waitlist movement. So everyone on Waitlist is ranked and when a seat opens up (someone declines an offer) then the highest ranked applicant on the waitlist moves into a seat and is extended an offer. Not 100% on that though

oh how can someone qualify for QUARMS? is that a separate application

This is correct

I've got a question about waitlists for Queen's actually. If I accept an out of province school (non OMSAS), but get waitlisted at Queen's, can I remain on the waitlist at Queen's throughout the summer? 

I know that accepting one OMSAS school pulls you from the other waitlists, but when I called OMSAS they didn't know how this type of thing is handled. 

Has anyone had experiences with this? Accepting another school (i.e. Mcgill) and being able to remain on the Queen's waitlist?

their waitlist moved like a 100 spots last year so its pretty substantial

I had heard that and I was surprised. I would have thought that Queen's would have been lots of people's first choice. That means that the post interview acceptance rates are pretty similar to Alberta schools (my point of reference), despite interviewing more than five people per seat.

I had heard that and I was surprised. I would have thought that Queen's would have been lots of people's first choice. That means that the post interview acceptance rates are pretty similar to Alberta schools (my point of reference), despite interviewing more than five people per seat.

I was surprised by that too, the program left a great impression on me.

I have a feeling it has a lot more to do with Kingston as a city than the program though. It definitely felt like a university-bubble kind of town to me, and I found a lot of people seemed hesitant about this.  

I was surprised by that too, the program left a great impression on me.

I have a feeling it has a lot more to do with Kingston as a city than the program though. It definitely felt like a university-bubble kind of town to me, and I found a lot of people seemed hesitant about this.

Interesting. I've been told that Kingston is not very nice other than the university, so fair enough I suppose. My other thought is that there is probably a lot of overlap with the other top programs so people might have Queens second to U of T or McGill. Pure speculation though.

Does anyone know how the waitlist works if you're hoping to get a deferral to finish up a grad program? Say you're on the waitlist and get a call saying you've been accepted, would Queens still consider your deferral request, or at that point are you expected to enroll in the med program?

I've got a question about waitlists for Queen's actually. If I accept an out of province school (non OMSAS), but get waitlisted at Queen's, can I remain on the waitlist at Queen's throughout the summer? 

I know that accepting one OMSAS school pulls you from the other waitlists, but when I called OMSAS they didn't know how this type of thing is handled. 

Has anyone had experiences with this? Accepting another school (i.e. Mcgill) and being able to remain on the Queen's waitlist?

You won't be immediately removed from the waitlist if you accepted an offer at an OOP school, but this information does get back to them eventually and you would be forced to make a decision.

You won't be immediately removed from the waitlist if you accepted an offer at an OOP school, but this information does get back to them eventually and you would be forced to make a decision.

Thank you. So I would need to remove myself from the hypothetical waitlist at some point (given that I have to pay a deposit for by April at the OOP school), but I could, for example, leave myself on it for a few weeks post May 10th to see if people decline?

Edit. Just got a response from my emails to the ON schools after being referred there by omsas. If anyone else is wondering, you can remain on an ON waitlist after accepting an OOP school (but not after accepting an OMSAS school) however if you are made an offer off the waitlist, you would have a short amount of time to decline one!

Does anyone know how the waitlist works if you're hoping to get a deferral to finish up a grad program? Say you're on the waitlist and get a call saying you've been accepted, would Queens still consider your deferral request, or at that point are you expected to enroll in the med program?

I don't know what it's like for all schools, but I know someone who got accepted off the waitlist at Western in July (I believe) and had to give Western an answer in less than 48 hours. He had to decline because he couldn't be sure his grad program would be wrapped up in time. I'd check with the individual schools though.

I don't know what it's like for all schools, but I know someone who got accepted off the waitlist at Western in July (I believe) and had to give Western an answer in less than 48 hours. He had to decline because he couldn't be sure his grad program would be wrapped up in time. I'd check with the individual schools though.

Why wouldn't they just accept it and then just keep working on your grad program... sounds a bit fishy. We had people continue their grad program work throughout first semester. 

Why wouldn't they just accept it and then just keep working on your grad program... sounds a bit fishy. We had people continue their grad program work throughout first semester.

New rules require grad degree completion months in advance. Makes my life appreciably more challenging.

I love being in Kingston :).  Kingston has a lot of great things to offer (easy access to hiking/bike trails, good sailing, close proximity to Montreal/Ottawa/Toronto to visit, good restaurants downtown) and I love how everything I need is within walking distance.  Obviously there are people that would not be happy in Kingston (I know I would hate being in the GTA), but for people who have never been there before I would encourage them to explore it a bit before completely discounting Queen's.  

I understand that, and im not discrediting kingston, but just relaying the fact that most of these people are young people that want to live/experience the big cities + many of them are originally from toronto. Since the quality of med school education is pretty much equivalent throughout ontario/canada, much of the deciding factor i think comes down just to city preference/lifestyle

Archived