Premed 101 Forums

Post Interview Discussion/support Thread (2016)

For those of you above who had "negative" experiences, what made your experience negative? For me, my interviewer was cutting me off before I could finish my sentences/answers and this happened several times throughout the interview.

That's not necessarily that bad. Happened to me and my interviewers were extremely warm.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I meant from their perspective, just because they cut you off doesn't mean they didn't like what you were saying or thought you were doing something wrong etc.

I was in line of the thinking that they would cut you off if either you were talking for too long, straying/not answering the main Q - i'd consider those negatives imo

I was in line of the thinking that they would cut you off if either you were talking for too long, straying/not answering the main Q - i'd consider those negatives imo

I have a friend who was cut off during his first question (if you interviewed you'd know what it is) and he's in now so....

I have a friend who was cut off during his first question (if you interviewed you'd know what it is) and he's in now so....

HAH. I was cut off during my first question as well!! That pissed me off ALOT since everyone has a nice answer prepared for "the first question" and i felt like i didn't get to finish mine in the way i wanted too since the interviewer cut me off.. Instead he asked me a followup Q to one of the things i was talking about 

I had quite a long answer to the first question (3.5-4 min), thankfully I was not cut off. I was cut off once (i was almost done my answer), however, it was done in a very kind way and the person who did it was super, super sweet so I like to believe that it was not meant to be a negative thing. Overall I had a very warm panel so cut offs can still happen. 

Also, if you finish in the top 1 or 2 interview tier (tier 4.0, 3.5) , are we essentially guaranteed admission at this stage in the process? 

I had quite a long answer to the first question (3.5-4 min), thankfully I was not cut off. I was cut off once (i was almost done my answer), however, it was done in a very kind way and the person who did it was super, super sweet so I like to believe that it was not meant to be a negative thing. Overall I had a very warm panel so cut offs can still happen. 

Also, if you finish in the top 1 or 2 interview tier (tier 4.0, 3.5) , are we essentially guaranteed admission at this stage in the process? 

What. Why does it jump from 4.0 to a 3.5. What about everything in between?

I also felt like I was being pressed and challenged throughout my interview... and that at least half of the questions didn't really delve into who I am as a person. I have had so much self doubt since the interview, remembering anecdotes that would have been useful, to wishing I hadn't phrased something in a certain way... I was so impressed by the school which made me extra nervous for my interview!

I also found my Ottawa interview very challenging, especially when compared to U of T. I wouldn't say my panel was "cold", but I felt like they were putting extra pressure on me because I'm a older applicant with management experience (without going into the nature of the questions, they were not "traditional" med interview questions). I've definitely been second-guessing my responses since the interview, but I guess I won't know for sure if until May.

I also found my Ottawa interview very challenging, especially when compared to U of T. I wouldn't say my panel was "cold", but I felt like they were putting extra pressure on me because I'm a older applicant with management experience (without going into the nature of the questions, they were not "traditional" med interview questions). I've definitely been second-guessing my responses since the interview, but I guess I won't know for sure if until May.

I would have to agree with you - I wouldn't say my interviewers were necessarily cold, but challenging seems to be the right word. They def tried to sway my answers to the ethical questions, but I stood firm on my answers and I saw them nodding in agreement while writing things down, which Im guessing was good. 

Yeah.. May just seems like a long time from now, can't wait for this wait to be over lol. 

That is interesting, do you think they previewed your app and decided to do a completely different type of interview for you given your experience/maturity? That does not seem really fair if that is the case. From my perspective, my interview was not like the one you described, rather it was what one would expect it to be (without going into specifics).

That is interesting, do you think they previewed your app and decided to do a completely different type of interview for you given your experience/maturity? That does not seem really fair if that is the case. From my perspective, my interview was not like the one you described, rather it was what one would expect it to be (without going into specifics).

Ditto on this, i got the Qs that you would pretty much "expect"

I thought my panel was pretty stone faced, but based on everyone else's feedback it was expected. I did however find it much more difficult to smile and convey empathy as well as my other interviews due to how stone faced the interviewers were. I don't know about anyone else but I find it hard to smile at someone else who shows 0 emotion for a full 40 minutes. Altogether I would say my interview had a few highs and lows, and therefore was average.

I thought my panel was pretty stone faced, but based on everyone else's feedback it was expected. I did however find it much more difficult to smile and convey empathy as well as my other interviews due to how stone faced the interviewers were. I don't know about anyone else but I find it hard to smile at someone else who shows 0 emotion for a full 40 minutes. Altogether I would say my interview had a few highs and lows, and therefore was average.

Yeah it is definitely more difficult to be compassionate & smile if the ppl in front of you are not reciprocating 

I have to say, I feel a lot better after reading some of these comments. I felt that my interview at Ottawa was really shaky because the panel kept cutting me off! There was one question in particular where they questioned every single thing that I said and although I expected to be challenged on my answers, they certainly took it further than I was expecting at times! I walked out feeling like overall, the interview was okay, but I am not so sure that it will be enough to get in. 

My panel was a little stone faced, but they were friendly and didn't make me feel uncomfortable at all. 

I have to say, I feel a lot better after reading some of these comments. I felt that my interview at Ottawa was really shaky because the panel kept cutting me off! There was one question in particular where they questioned every single thing that I said and although I expected to be challenged on my answers, they certainly took it further than I was expecting at times! I walked out feeling like overall, the interview was okay, but I am not so sure that it will be enough to get in. 

My panel was a little stone faced, but they were friendly and didn't make me feel uncomfortable at all. 

i think this pretty much exactly sums up my experience as well. Perhaps we (those who got these challenging panels) will get extra pts/look even better being able to handle these situations? 

I was wondering the same thing! I keep reading on these forums that you're ranked according to the other interviewees who also had that panel (which is a good thing), but what if you were to have done really well in another panel (been in top 1-2 students) ? Is there some way our grades are standardized to all ~575 interviewees?

Ohh really now, so each panel compares the applicants that they get ? Does that means each panel gets to select a certain # of people?

And do the panels stick together for the entire interview cycle? E.g., X & Y & Z panelists stay as panel 1 

Ohh really now, so each panel compares the applicants that they get ? Does that means each panel gets to select a certain # of people?

And do the panels stick together for the entire interview cycle? E.g., X & Y & Z panelists stay as panel 1

I don't think that information is available, but see forum thread called "Waitlist Support Thread"- page 10 (from 2010).

Archived