Premed 101 Forums

Post Interview Discussion/support Thread (2016)

I also found my Ottawa interview very challenging, especially when compared to U of T. I wouldn't say my panel was "cold", but I felt like they were putting extra pressure on me because I'm a older applicant with management experience (without going into the nature of the questions, they were not "traditional" med interview questions). I've definitely been second-guessing my responses since the interview, but I guess I won't know for sure if until May.

I'm also a mature applicant, and I had a similar experience.  The questions I got weren't what I was expecting, and I got pressed quite a bit.  To be honest I didn't mind it though, I just assumed they were giving me the opportunity to expand on my perspective, or wanted to hear if I could explain it in a different way/stick to my guns.  The only tricky part was  2/3 of my panel were very stone faced and somewhat chilly, but I chalked this up to that just being their style - I don't think it was a reflection on me.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm also a mature applicant, and I had a similar experience.  The questions I got weren't what I was expecting, and I got pressed quite a bit.  To be honest I didn't mind it though, I just assumed they were giving me the opportunity to expand on my perspective, or wanted to hear if I could explain it in a different way/stick to my guns.  The only tricky part was  2/3 of my panel were very stone faced and somewhat chilly, but I chalked this up to that just being their style - I don't think it was a reflection on me.

I completely agree. I've now done interviews with both U of T and Mac, and their interview style was completely different. With Ottawa I had the opportunity to go into much greater depth than I did with the other schools, even if this made the interview more challenging. I'm still not sure which style I preferred.

I guess we will see in ~ 5 weeks!

I feel that I had quite a neutral panel and I don't think that their demeanour really has any bearing on one's chance at admission. I know both admitted and rejected students with a mixture of opinions about their interview. Hopefully that allows some of you to come to peace with your perceived performance.

Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing but my panel did not push me or challenge me at all. After one particular question I was really expecting to get grilled and I even asked "do you have any questions about that?" The person responded by saying, "no that was quite a comprehensive answer." They were mostly all smiling and nodding (even got one interview to burst out laughing in the middle of one of my answers) at everything I said. I felt very elated after finishing, however, now (especially after hearing your responses in this thread) I am wondering if their reason for not pushing me/challenging me was because they were disinterested in me. The wait sucks lol I keep overthinking everything

I am wondering if their reason for not pushing me/challenging me was because they were disinterested in me. The wait sucks lol I keep overthinking everything

The bolded sentence is the best example of overthinking I can imagine. I'm sure when you say it out loud, you'll realize how silly it is to worry about your interview having gone poorly because of your kind and light-hearted interviewers.

Some panels were cold, some were not, and interviewees are notoriously god awful at evaluating their own performances. Now it's just time to start drinking heavily until May 10th like everyone else :D

Yeah I feel the same way too since I wasn't challenged too much for my interview. The overthinking is so real lol. Just about a month left!!

Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing but my panel did not push me or challenge me at all. After one particular question I was really expecting to get grilled and I even asked "do you have any questions about that?" The person responded by saying, "no that was quite a comprehensive answer." They were mostly all smiling and nodding (even got one interview to burst out laughing in the middle of one of my answers) at everything I said. I felt very elated after finishing, however, now (especially after hearing your responses in this thread) I am wondering if their reason for not pushing me/challenging me was because they were disinterested in me. The wait sucks lol I keep overthinking everything

Yeah I feel the same way too since I wasn't challenged too much for my interview. The overthinking is so real lol. Just about a month left!!

Anyone else have a panel that was super friendly/ did not challenge their answers at all? 

Anyone else have a panel that was super friendly/ did not challenge their answers at all?

I also had a similar experience. My panel was friendly, warm, very conversational and also laughed and joked a few times. At the time, I walked out feeling great. But now, I keep thinking of things I could've added or points of view I could've mentioned. I also worry that they didn't think I was a competitive applicant because of how light the interview felt. I realize I'm probably overthinking this WAY too much though :)

• 1 month later...

How do we know if the email refers to the good vs. bad wait list?

The wording tells all. If it says something like we will contact you if a spot opens up= good waitlist 

If it says " based on your position you are unlikely to receive an acceptance"= bad waitlist

Archived