Premed 101 Forums

Is It Insane To Turn Down Your Only Medical School Offer?

PM333

Obviously there may be extenuating circumstances causing you to ask this question, maybe some changes happened between applications cycles and now, who knows. Either way, the way I see it is that if you would turn down an offer of acceptance with no other prospects during that same cycle, then you might as well not apply at all. I think the only reason I would agree with to turn one down is if it's an OMSAS school and you think you did really well on your application/interview with another school there and don't want to be pulled from their list. Idk if it still works that way but at least I think it used to. Of course this is just my view. You can do what you like with the opportunities given to you, and the decisions you make aren't necessarily right or wrong even if people tell you they are, especially people on the internet.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is important to understand how big of a pain in the ass deferral can be for a school as well - not a huge problem in preclerkship (although there are often seating constraints there as well) but if you have routinely extra students floating around in clerkship it can limit the education opportunities and add further pressure on elective spots. There isn't a lot of incentive really for a school do to deferrals other than to be "nice" :) They can simply pick someone else and have that person reapply when they are ready to accept an offer.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived