Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Almighty Saguaro

Western Financial Assistance Application

For those of you who have interviewed here, did you fill out parental information for the Schulich admissions bursary? 

The application specifically says "If you have been out of high school for at least 4 years (since 2012) as of the start of your study period, parental income information is not required. Enter "0" for these values.", but I remember hearing that even if you've been out of high school for >4 years and OSAP considers you financially independent, you still need to put in parental information.

It's quite possible that I'm mixing this up what I was told at UofT, so can someone who is more knowledgeable on these things help straighten me out?

I'm not sure how it is this year but this is what I did last year:

Two forms:

1) an online form through the registrar that told me to fill in zeros for my parents if I was out of school for 4 years

2) a PDF specifically for the schulich scholarship/bursary that told me I needed to fill in parental income information

I completed each as specified, zeros for the first and full information for the latter and it was fine. It worked last year like that for me but I'm not sure if it's the same this year.

I'm not sure how it is this year but this is what I did last year:

Two forms:

1) an online form through the registrar that told me to fill in zeros for my parents if I was out of school for 4 years

2) a PDF specifically for the schulich scholarship/bursary that told me I needed to fill in parental income information

I completed each as specified, zeros for the first and full information for the latter and it was fine. It worked last year like that for me but I'm not sure if it's the same this year.

Yeah, after looking into it further, it seems like it's the same setup this year, to be completed as you have described.

Thanks! 

I do know that people have gotten these scholarships, but they are intended to level the playing field and make the school accessible to everyone. For this reason I would say "competitive" isn't really the right term to use. It is like competing for having the most financial need. Realistically, almost all students have an LOC, which isn't as scary as it sounds. Some students may have had no parental support for their previous degree, and have a large amount of pre-existing student debt. They would likely be seen as in greater need, but nothing is for certain. They don't release the finance details of people who have gotten these scholarships for obvious reasons.