Premed 101 Forums

May 11, 2016 Support Thread

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha, same here! May 11th is constantly on my mind to be honest -- each day feels like it takes several days to pass, but I guess it's passing at least :P . 5 more weeks!

Is anyone else freaking out that there hasn't been any emails from UBC admissions in weeks?

Lol, we're not supposed to be receiving any emails maybe? :P don't freak out, it's all fine

I literally think about it everyday for a couple hours. I constantly scroll through every thread. Needless to say, I'm being very neurotic.

Agreed! I play through way too many scenarios in my head. Still haven't decided whether I'm going to check my email every minute on May 11, or wait until acceptances are out before I dare to do anything...

Agreed! I play through way too many scenarios in my head. Still haven't decided whether I'm going to check my email every minute on May 11, or wait until acceptances are out before I dare to do anything...

Hahahaha, same :P ! I don't know if I should turn off my phone on the day and check after, or keep it on and on loud. And, I'm working that whole day! Don't know if that's a good thing or not :/

Hahahaha, same :P ! I don't know if I should turn off my phone on the day and check after, or keep it on and on loud. And, I'm working that whole day! Don't know if that's a good thing or not :/

I know I don't have the self-control to not check my email that morning. There goes all productivity for the day  :rolleyes:

Good luck guys!  I personally checked every minute for hours...and the way they did it was torture.  Rejections go out first and premed forums lights up so you know when rejections are going out.  So any emails gave me that sinking feeling in my gut.  Then the waitlist notifications went out.  I am pretty sure the admissions people then went for lunch as all was quiet from 11:30-1:30 range.  Then acceptances rolled out by site haha.  I would say to try not to be neurotic, checking the admissions blog, premed, etc, but I never listened to anyone who told me otherwise...may see a few of you around!  

Good luck guys!  I personally checked every minute for hours...and the way they did it was torture.  Rejections go out first and premed forums lights up so you know when rejections are going out.  So any emails gave me that sinking feeling in my gut.  Then the waitlist notifications went out.  I am pretty sure the admissions people then went for lunch as all was quiet from 11:30-1:30 range.  Then acceptances rolled out by site haha.  I would say to try not to be neurotic, checking the admissions blog, premed, etc, but I never listened to anyone who told me otherwise...may see a few of you around!  

Exactly!  That's why it's so nerve-racking having your phone on or checking your email constantly!  In the time range they send the rejects... oh man, it will be very hard for me to stay calm if I have my phone on; my ears are going to be extremely sensitive to the sound of the notification of my email.  And with the multiple emails I get daily... I might get an MI lol.  I think I pretty much know now that my phone will be off for that day until 4 PM haha.

If anyone here plays Go (aka 圍棋, 围棋, 囲碁, 바둑) and wants to start an online correspondence game with me to pass the time, PM me. B)

After watching Lee Sedol vs AlphaGo, Go has caught my interest. However, I hear that the game has a steep learning curve. How did you find it when first starting out?

After watching Lee Sedol vs AlphaGo, Go has caught my interest. However, I hear that the game has a steep learning curve. How did you find it when first starting out?

Even when I had less of an idea what was going on than I do now, it was still pretty fun. Have you played through this tutorial yet? http://playgo.to/iwtg/en/

Once you do, I recommend Bozulich's Second Book, available at VPL

As far as online go goes, OGS is one of the more convenient go servers to use (though some people complain that the community isn't as active as other servers).

Archived