Premed 101 Forums

May 11, 2016 Support Thread

Even when I had less of an idea what was going on than I do now, it was still pretty fun. Have you played through this tutorial yet? http://playgo.to/iwtg/en/

Once you do, I recommend Bozulich's Second Book, available at VPL

As far as online go goes, OGS is one of the more convenient go servers to use (though some people complain that the community isn't as active as other servers).

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll give them a try.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh man, the nerves are acting up haha. I want the days to go by faster, but at the same time I'm getting more nervous :P

My prediction at this point: they've completed 85-90% of decisions. So, 85-90% of the people have already been decided on whether they've been rejected, waitlisted, or accepted. Most likely, they will finalize all their decisions by the next week and a half. For the remaining time until May 11th, they will probably check if everything is correct (i.e. the final check).

Oh man, the nerves are acting up haha. I want the days to go by faster, but at the same time I'm getting more nervous :P

My prediction at this point: they've completed 85-90% of decisions. So, 85-90% of the people have already been decided on whether they've been rejected, waitlisted, or accepted. Most likely, they will finalize all their decisions by the next week and a half. For the remaining time until May 11th, they will probably check if everything is correct (i.e. the final check).

Sounds about right! The wait is excruciating. I know the last two weeks will be unbearable because I'll be finished finals  :mellow:

Anyone wanna give a quick rundown of UBC's curriculum? I was pretty spent from the interview to fully hone in on the info session hahah. I have to make a pretty big decision between UBC (if that becomes an option) and another school...

The class entering this summer will be the second year of the new "spiral" curriculum, which is organized around signs and symptoms rather than organ systems. That's all I can remember :)

The class entering this summer will be the second year of the new "spiral" curriculum, which is organized around signs and symptoms rather than organ systems. That's all I can remember :)

Yeah same hahah, I wish there was more information online, I know Manitoba does the same, but I'm not sure if spiral will fit my style better than block. Hmmm.

I would disagree that its organized around signs and symptoms, that sounds more like Calgary or Mac.

Essentially every week is a new topic, with a major theme (I.e COPD week, with main system being respiratory) and you go through the physiology, pharm if applicable, pathology, anatomy, histo etc related to it.

Its not really innovative, plenty of schools have been doing it for decades. Much of the first iteration of the spiral has been just chopping up and mixing the blocks, with fine tuning and repurposing of CBL cases.

The second iteration should be more smoother as the 2019s have worked through many kinks, not all of course but definite improvements.

I would disagree that its organized around signs and symptoms, that sounds more like Calgary or Mac.

Essentially every week is a new topic, with a major theme (I.e COPD week, with main system being respiratory) and you go through the physiology, pharm if applicable, pathology, anatomy, histo etc related to it.

Its not really innovative, plenty of schools have been doing it for decades. Much of the first iteration of the spiral has been just chopping up and mixing the blocks, with fine tuning and repurposing of CBL cases.

The second iteration should be more smoother as the 2019s have worked through many kinks, not all of course but definite improvements.

Yeah, it's nice being a part of a new program, but the growing pains will probably continue for a few more years.

Whoops, I guess I should probably just keep my mouth shut if all I have to go off of is a hazy recollection of the presentation ;)

Actually, that's pretty much how our curriculum works here in Calgary.

Yeah, right now we're in the 6 weeks Flex period, which is basically a project of your own choosing. It doesn't have to be research, though most people go with research. There are options that they give you, or you can make your own connections and make your own project. Basically, our academic year is already finished, no more exams, just 6 weeks of part-time project work and going to the beach. :D

ahaha did anyone have a sinking heart when they saw UBC email in their inbox?

Hahaha YES ! :D

Clarifying... In the email it says to send in final transcripts... Is this still mandatory if we aren't in classes? Just wanted to confirm :)! I don't think we need to but you know... Better safe than sorry.

Yeah, you don't need to :) . If you haven't taken any classes since June 2015, you don't need to.

Archived