Premed 101 Forums

How To Tell Your Employer You Will Be Quitting Your Job For Med School?

I'm starting to think about what I should do about my current job *if* I get accepted to med school this year. I've been working full-time at a non-science office job for the past couple of years. 

For the many of you who were/are working prior to med school:

1)  Did you quit your job early to get some time off in the summer prior to starting med school?

2) How did you tell your boss and colleagues that you wanted to leave your job to pursue a new opportunity?   I am particularly interested in this, because I think I am doing my current job quite well and my colleagues think that I really enjoy my job - I've been demonstrating my interest in my current career and am still putting in my best effort. I still want to maintain good relations with everyone and don't want to burn bridges.

3) Any other suggestions or factors that you would recommend I consider in quitting?

Thanks!

Once you get in, send them a nicely addressed letter to whoever is in HR. People move on all the time. Of course if you are in a very specialized field, a courtesy would be to give them at least 1-2 months notice. But absolutely not necessary. Also, look at what your contract stipulates. 

There's nothing wrong with moving on from a job, you clearly have been investing alot into it and doing a solid job as you have stated. Interests change. Opportunities arise etc. 

I was in a real actual engineering job prior to starting. I gave them 1 month notice (didn't have any critical projects ongoing). I just told my boss I appreciated the opportunity with the company but I had decided to enter medicine. He was cool with it. No different than if I left for another job.

Well, one nice thing about getting into Med school is that responses (other than shock/happiness) tend to be along the lines of "Oh, yeah.. you can't not do that."

I imagine you'll be pretty well supported in your decision, as long as you communicate it early and just be open. 

I told my employer about it several months ago, so they wouldn't surprised and would be more flexible giving me time off for interviews. At this point they're just waiting to find out the date that I'm leaving. I'm pretty sure there will be no ill feelings (assuming I don't do anything stupid during my final few months).

Also, I'm probably going to work until the latest possible date for financial reasons. Somewhere in there I need to fit finding a place to live and actually moving, but I'll worry about that when the time comes.

I think with any job, the most professional thing you can do is give them as much notice as possible so they're not left scrambling to replace you.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, but if you give them too much notice, do you think that may make the remaining months with colleagues uncomfortable? I am relatively new to my position (approx 8 months) so there are still some types of projects that are more complex that I need assistance with, so I don't know if people would be like...what's the point, she is leaving anyway....I don't know if I am making this clear at all, but I guess if you're working closely in a team with many others, not everyone is going to have the same feeling toward it and I wonder if some will be thinking more negatively (they don't know that I applied either because I really didn't want to tell everyone and have them asking me a lot of questions about when it will be released etc).

My boss knew that there was the possibility I would be scurrying off to medical school from the get go.  Full disclosure about future plans certainly made finding a job harder (electrical work instead of welding...) but resulted in my employer being incredibly excited about my acceptance.  I gave him notice as is customary and always provided him with a timeline for what I would know at different times and what that meant for my continued employment.  If I were instead avoiding telling anyone about my plans then I would adhere to professional and customary notice at a minimum and expect a professional and typical response to that notice.  Surely you will receive the help you need from colleagues in order that the quality of work coming from the company will not fall in your transition.  Instead, what I have experienced in the past is that during your transition from the company you may simply not be invited to meetings where topics that might be exploited by competitors are discussed, but since you're leaving for med I expect it will not be necessary to do even that.

I am fortunate to work in an organization where employee turnover is quite regular (hint: it's a gov't institution) so most managers are quite used to be people leaving for "greener pastures". So my boss has known for well over a year that I was applying. They were supportive and gave me some time to prepare for the MCAT, write the MCAT, travel for interviews, etc. I know that not every employer would do that.

I'm still going to do my job as per normal, probably right up until a week or two before my last date. My boss is okay with that, as to be quite honest they don't really have anyone to replace me.

I imagine with many other organizations your employer might be more bitter about you leaving, so it'd be a tougher choice to decide how much information to release. My wife basically told her boss "I'm leaving if my husband gets into med school but I don't know when" which has resulted in an uncomfortable relationship between them, but she still wanted him to know out of fairness.

In these situations, I strongly suggest not telling your employer about the maybe, possibly potential of medical school until it's a real thing. Even if you receive an acceptance, I would still only advise telling your employer with a 2 or 3 week notice period. At the point of giving notice, if your relationship with your employer is a good one, they will understand and be supportive of your pursuits. It's when things go south and unrealistic demands, potential for losing your job, and attitude changes directed toward you come into play that can make your working situation really unpleasant. I strongly suggest that you protect yourself, even if you think everything will be fine, and simply give a courteous and respectful 2-3 week notice when you're ready to leave your place of employment. Your place of employment would be very unlikely to do you any favours if they were in the position of needing to let you go for whatever reason. Business is business.

For the record, I called my boss this morning and told her the good news within about 2 hours of finding out myself. But we also have a good relationship, so there were no real concerns on my end. 

Since I'm on the waitlist, I guess I'll have to wait longer before notifying my employer.... 

I am accepted, and will still be waiting to tell my employer...I agree with Borborygmi...I am not sure but don't have the best gut feeling about what the reaction will be like. Of course, I am sure people will feel they need to be congratulatory but it may turn into an uncomfortable situation to the point where I think there is a possibility, however slim, that my job goes into jeopardy and I still need to be earning/saving/paying bills/eating for the next 2 months. If I leave end of July, is that enough time? O-week at NOSM is Aug. 22. I need to move. I am thinking of going in time to settle into a new place for Aug1st ish. How early are others leaving work? I am not sure how much to give myself to have a vacation.

I actually made a point of not posting my acceptance to any social media site until I had spoken to my boss. I was leaving a contract position as a physician assistant for medical school and was really uneasy about what kind of reaction I would receive. At the time, I was also off on 3 weeks medical leave recovering from a ruptured appendicitis. Despite the fact that I had extreme reservations, the response to my leaving was the most warm and understanding response I have ever received.

I did have a lot of guilt associated leaving a contract position because I had recently established measures that had cost the hospital some money and therefore left the week prior to my orientation week. I was leaving Southern Ontario for Thunder Bay and unfortunately, the moving truck didn't arrive until my first day of orientation. Needless to say, unpacking and experiencing orientation at the same time is not something I'd recommend. Take the additional time off if you need to move. You'll be happy you got yourself settled before school begins.

All the best!

This is one approach: 

I was thinking of paraphrasing 50 ways to leave your lover by Paul Simon:

The problem is all inside your head

She said to me

The answer is easy if you

Take it logically

I'd like to help you in your struggle

To be free

There must be fifty ways

To leave your job

You Just slip out the back, Jack

Make a new plan, Stan

You don't need to be coy, Roy

Just get yourself free

Hop on the bus, Gus

You don't need to discuss much

Just drop off the key, Lee

And get yourself free

My employer was a reference of mine by necessity (worked there for three years), and really supportive despite the fact that I'd potentially be leaving. I think it helps that I've included her in my process and timeline since the beginning so there was complete transparency. That being said, I did have some reservations about my workplace knowing my intentions, in case that makes me look less appealing for any new positions that may come up. Won't matter if I get in, but if I don't and I'm reapplying, there's still that possibility that I'd be perceived as less committed and therefore a less valuable candidate for training opportunities etc.

I'll know what my future holds sometime tomorrow, and have been told that I have to let her know right away... not as a boss, but more as a "she's rooting for me" kind of thing. If it's bad news, she said I can just email a sad face :).

OK, so when is a good time to leave work then? How much of a break should I be thinking of giving myself? Is the end of July (that gives me three weeks to move, set up, and hopefully get a break somewhere in there) enough or should I be looking more towards the beginning of July so I have a fwe weeks of travel time/fun before school? I guess the real question I am asking is how much is that extra month of work going to add to my potential burn-out risk during first year?

OK, so when is a good time to leave work then? How much of a break should I be thinking of giving myself? Is the end of July (that gives me three weeks to move, set up, and hopefully get a break somewhere in there) enough or should I be looking more towards the beginning of July so I have a fwe weeks of travel time/fun before school? I guess the real question I am asking is how much is that extra month of work going to add to my potential burn-out risk during first year?

Honestly I think this is a personal thing that will vary depending on a lot of factors. Do you feel slightly burnt out at the moment? Is your job highly stressful? Family commitments might change things too, i.e. if you want time off with them you might not have in the future. 

I'm working up until the week before, but it's just a 9-5 job for the summer and I'm finding this summer feels like I'm on vacation compared to previous years/working too much during undergrad. But I don't have family nearby, and moving will only involve a 2-3 hours train ride with my suitcases, so I'm very lucky.

But anything under a week could get stressful, so if you have the time off and would enjoy it, why not! The loss of a little extra salary will be neglibible in the long run

well at this point the question is more why are you working? I mean the impact on your finances will not be that much regardless (although money is money of course). Maybe you have goals there or people you want to help.

I will say once you start on the the medical path you will have exactly 4 periods of time when you will be able to take more than 2 weeks off in a row (and even two weeks would be rare) until you are basically a staff physician (so with fellowships, and keeping mind 2/3 of people are in a 5 year fellowship that is can be roughly 10 years - I will say that again - 10 years):

1) before you start med school

2) post first year summer

3) post second year summer

4) 6ish weeks between graduation and starting residency.

and that is it. You have four remaining blocks of time, just four and no more - and in many cases for the 2) and 3) you will feel pressure to somehow advance your educational goals (research, electives.....). Many things can only be done with more than a week or two in a row. Bucket list time.

Don't waste them. Don't waste your time.

Seriously.

well at this point the question is more why are you working? I mean the impact on your finances will not be that much regardless (although money is money of course). Maybe you have goals there or people you want to help.

I will say once you start on the the medical path you will have exactly 4 periods of time when you will be able to take more than 2 weeks off in a row (and even two weeks would be rare) until you are basically a staff physician (so with fellowships, and keeping mind 2/3 of people are in a 5 year fellowship that is can be roughly 10 years - I will say that again - 10 years):

1) before you start med school

2) post first year summer

3) post second year summer

4) 6ish weeks between graduation and starting residency.

and that is it. You have four remaining blocks of time, just four and no more - and in many cases for the 2) and 3) you will feel pressure to somehow advance your educational goals (research, electives.....). Many things can only be done with more than a week or two in a row. Bucket list time.

Don't waste them. Don't waste your time.

Seriously.

This is an incredibly helpful post. You broke it down so clearly and succinctly. To answer your question about working, in a nutshell, it's just a feeling of obligation that I should work to keep the debt lower or something because while I know I will need the LOC no doubt, it makes me so uncomfortable how I am going to be crazy dependent on it and therefore graduate with debt. I went to undergrad with a full-scholarship and applied for scholarship after scholarship, worked etc and graduated with no debt. I know not all debt is bad, and I get that, it just scares the living daylights out of me to know that I owe that much debt to anyone. My job is just a job to me (we have ridiculous targets, it's in sales, so the burn-out is generally quite a bit in my role, pay is decent enough though in my role and I am salaried) so there's nothing keeping me there except money. My volunteer work and the other stuff that I do in the community, I enjoy, feel passion for, am fulfilled by etc so I happily keep doing that.

After reading your post, I really don't know if I want to give up July. It may be one of my only (younger-ish LOL) chances to just let go, I have the money to do it for the summer as I have been diligently saving this year. It's more a question of whether I wanted to keep adding to my savings to shield some debt instead of dipping into it for July.

This is an incredibly helpful post. You broke it down so clearly and succinctly. To answer your question about working, in a nutshell, it's just a feeling of obligation that I should work to keep the debt lower or something because while I know I will need the LOC no doubt, it makes me so uncomfortable how I am going to be crazy dependent on it and therefore graduate with debt. I went to undergrad with a full-scholarship and applied for scholarship after scholarship, worked etc and graduated with no debt. I know not all debt is bad, and I get that, it just scares the living daylights out of me to know that I owe that much debt to anyone. My job is just a job to me (we have ridiculous targets, it's in sales, so the burn-out is generally quite a bit in my role, pay is decent enough though in my role and I am salaried) so there's nothing keeping me there except money. My volunteer work and the other stuff that I do in the community, I enjoy, feel passion for, am fulfilled by etc so I happily keep doing that.

After reading your post, I really don't know if I want to give up July. It may be one of my only (younger-ish LOL) chances to just let go, I have the money to do it for the summer as I have been diligently saving this year. It's more a question of whether I wanted to keep adding to my savings to shield some debt instead of dipping into it for July.

well as you may know I am pretty keen on the personal finance side of things and not wasting money (and KNOWING the finance rules that lead to success - get educated seriously) - that being said in this case in particular the balance is way, way over on the other side. You are pretty debit free, you job is well as you put nothing special, and you have savings and an LOC............ I don't like wasting money - didn't grow up with much ha -but balance is key. No cool experiences and say 5K more in the bank 10 years from now is not worth it versus the cool experiences. There is a time (and that time will come) to organize your finances for success. Now is probably not that time.

My opinion - just me - but if you stay there you are wasting your time, and time is life. You want to pour more time into the volunteer stuff I get it. Working a sales job not so much. I bet if you ask any resident like me who is now fully 7 years in to that 10 year cycle (ha, at least) would say the same thing.

Go live your life.

Tick Tock.

Archived