Premed 101 Forums

Calgary/alberta Residency Transfer Policy?

Is there a resident from calgary or u of A who is familiar with the transfer policy?

More specifically, if someone matched second iteration, whether they would be still eligible to apply for transfer during PGY1 year?

I read through the policies stated online and they do not mention any restrictions on people who matched through the second iteration people from applying for a transfer in PGY1 year (which is prohibited in Ontario)

Thanks!

What do you mean by not being able to transfer in PGY1 year in Ontario?

I thought all transfers must occur after completion of PGY1 year(but can initiate earlier) or do you mean second iteration students must wait until Pgy2 year to APPLY for transfer?

Usually transfers are in the same school (or province if there's some sort of "faculty of medicine group" like in Ontario). Unfortunately no transfers are authorized if you matched in second round :(

Yes, that is true for Ontario for the PGY1s. However, even in Ontario, if you matched via second round, you are eligible for transfer in PGY2 year (except family medicine). This is different from people who matched in first round in that you are eligible to transfer in PGY1 year after 6 months.

No transfer if you matched second round - Is this policy specific to your school or Alberta/Calgary?

Yes, that is true for Ontario for the PGY1s. However, even in Ontario, if you matched via second round, you are eligible for transfer in PGY2 year (except family medicine). This is different from people who matched in first round in that you are eligible to transfer in PGY1 year after 6 months.

No transfer if you matched second round - Is this policy specific to your school or Alberta/Calgary?

This is only specific to Ontario. I've looked transfer policies in other provinces and it does not apply.

How does one go about transferring in Alberta? I'd like to know as well.

Archived