Premed 101 Forums

May 10 Support Thread

I'm trying my best not to worry about it or think too much about it. Or count down the days. For whatever reason I thought it was on a Thursday, maybe I was thinking may 12th when I checked the calendar. So sunnyy just fast forwarded the countdown in my books! Lol. Here's to hoping time flies and that we hear good news in two weeks. I'm keeping busy with work, reading and video games but it's usually in the back of my mind at the very least. As well, I really want to move apartments regardless of the decision the the possibility of waitlist makes it hard to plan anything.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm trying my best not to worry about it or think too much about it. Or count down the days. For whatever reason I thought it was on a Thursday, maybe I was thinking may 12th when I checked the calendar. So sunnyy just fast forwarded the countdown in my books! Lol. Here's to hoping time flies and that we hear good news in two weeks. I'm keeping busy with work, reading and video games but it's usually in the back of my mind at the very least. As well, I really want to move apartments regardless of the decision the the possibility of waitlist makes it hard to plan anything.

My exact situation in terms of apartments- I really need to move out of the ****hole that I live in (OK, totally exaggerating but like we do have a few serious problems in the unit and landlords really don't seem to care...)- between this and also not knowing if I don't get in, whether I'll be permanent at my job (waiting for a permanent opening to apply to, and that will affect which side of town I live on which is kind of important as I don't have a car and transit where I live is awful)...kind of makes me want to pull my hair out

So my wife pre-emptively applied for some jobs in Ottawa (she has some contacts there) and landed an interview for an amazing job next week. Exciting news for sure! But that definitely adds some complications if I don't get into Ottawa. No added pressure :)

Oh yeah, no pressure at all eh. Sounds like something I would do. Like looking once in a while on kijiji for potential places to rent in the city that I would be going to should I get in...yea...ummm...shouldn't be doing that probably lol. It's just tempting and also kind of like, seems reasonable to plan things so you actually don't have to get everything together in a rush. But anyway, this is the way it goes. This process just sucks on all levels.

Well, you have to still plan somewhat. I've definitely been looking online at houses in the Hamilton, Mississauga and Ottawa areas to see what is affordable. I don't think it's a bad idea to look ahead. What might be a mistake would be to give your landlord your 60 days notice or put your house on the market (as in my case). I'm in the process of getting rid of all of my old junk and organizing my house so I can list it. At least if May 10th doesn't go my way I will have a clean house!

Does anyone know how the acceptance/wait lists system goes? What does it look like?

I'm picturing that we log into OMSAS, find a new tab for offers, and then select accept or decline for any offers we get, right?

How long do we have to respond to an offer? Do you automatically reject all other offers/wait lists if you accept one? Is there some sort of strategy if you are on a wait list (ie: wait until the last day to accept from your 2nd choice school if your 1st choice is on wait list?).

Does anyone know how the acceptance/wait lists system goes? What does it look like?

I'm picturing that we log into OMSAS, find a new tab for offers, and then select accept or decline for any offers we get, right?

How long do we have to respond to an offer? Do you automatically reject all other offers/wait lists if you accept one? Is there some sort of strategy if you are on a wait list (ie: wait until the last day to accept from your 2nd choice school if your 1st choice is on wait list?).

I believe you get all of your offers/waitlists through email and not through OMSAS. You accept by using SAM on OMSAS (I might be wrong here... but I vaguely remember this being the procedure last year).

Most schools tend to send waitlist offers AFTER the deadline to accept first round offers, but I suppose if you end up in that situation there's no harm waiting until the last day to see if you get an offer.

I believe you get all of your offers/waitlists through email and not through OMSAS. You accept by using SAM on OMSAS (I might be wrong here... but I vaguely remember this being the procedure last year).

Most schools tend to send waitlist offers AFTER the deadline to accept first round offers, but I suppose if you end up in that situation there's no harm waiting until the last day to see if you get an offer.

How long do you have to accept first round offers?

If I get rejected or waitlisted, I have to work this summer to support myself. I already applied to a few jobs and have gone to some interviews but not knowing what's going to happen in 2 weeks, I can't make any decisions for myself and that sucks. With regards to my academic future, I will have to apply to US MD schools and money aside (~costs 4-5k minimum), I need a lot of time to put together an application and two weeks will not be enough for me to get everything in on time. Also, I will have to accept and start my masters (currently working on personal statement, LORs, etc) immediately and not being able to confirm anything with my PI is undesirable. 

The uncertainty is brutal. 

I had one friend get off the Queens waitlist on the very last day last year... But this is the only instance I've heard of this happening.

I would Guess that a decent number of people get in off the waitlist before the last day to accept first round offers. since people will accept their first choice and automatically be removed from waitlists of other schools they interviewed at.

If it's true they don't send out waitlist offers until after the initial deadline, that means if you get one offer and one or more waitlists, you'd have to accept the offer or risk getting nothing?

Yeah, seems strange. Instead of all the speculation could someone who knows the ropes chime in?

If it's true they don't send out waitlist offers until after the initial deadline, that means if you get one offer and one or more waitlists, you'd have to accept the offer or risk getting nothing?

Yeah, seems strange. Instead of all the speculation could someone who knows the ropes chime in?

Yes, that's exactly how it works. If you are waitlisted at your top choice and accepted at another school, you have to take the offer and withdraw from the rest. Which is why someone in that case might not accept the offer until the very last day, just in case the waitlist starts to move. 

Yes, that's exactly how it works. If you are waitlisted at your top choice and accepted at another school, you have to take the offer and withdraw from the rest.

But how do you know if you're on the waitlist for some schools, if the schools don't send out the waitlist until the first round deadline ends.

But how do you know if you're on the waitlist for some schools, if the schools don't send out the waitlist until the first round deadline ends.

You would know, because you'd be told on May 10th when you get an email from that school

ugh, this all just sucks. What a loooong year. I seriously think they could make this process more efficient, I get all the other responsibilities they have and the crazy number of applicants, still I highly doubt the process couldn't be improved to make the waiting times a bit more reasonable between app and interview and interview and offer. 

ugh, this all just sucks. What a loooong year. I seriously think they could make this process more efficient, I get all the other responsibilities they have and the crazy number of applicants, still I highly doubt the process couldn't be improved to make the waiting times a bit more reasonable between app and interview and interview and offer. 

Well the Maritime schools do a pretty good job of truncating the process.

Archived