Premed 101 Forums

May 10 Support Thread

Thank you so much for taking the time to come to our board and post, Birdy! Your journey is a real inspiration around here for many of us, I am sure, including myself and it's nice to see those who have overcome the hurdle still take the time to come and encourage those of us still on this side of it all.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck, everyone!!!

And as a reminder, don't let the timing of emails on decision day fool you. I remember feeling pretty low when everyone on the forums said they got into U of T around 9am and I still hadn't heard yet. Turns out they waited until 10:30am to send me my acceptance so they could give me some money too :)

I love how some other schools in other provinces have at their discretion the ability to release decisions early...and we can't do this...because of the OMSAS agreement....UCalgary just found out and there's confetti and freak outs over on their A/W/R thread if anyone wants to check it out, don't worry guys, our time is coming...in just another...week...*faints*

I love how some other schools in other provinces have at their discretion the ability to release decisions early...and we can't do this...because of the OMSAS agreement....UCalgary just found out and there's confetti and freak outs over on their A/W/R thread if anyone wants to check it out, don't worry guys, our time is coming...in just another...week...*faints*

The downside to this is you get to spend a month (with Dal for example) feeling like you're going to vomit every time you get an email. There's a whole other special level of anxiety knowing your future could change at any hour, any day, of an entire month. Anxiety doesn't even describe it. 

I think that's the one thing I prefer about the OMSAS system. At least we have a date, so you don't get it at a random point which can be a really tough if the news is bad

The downside to this is you get to spend a month (with Dal for example) feeling like you're going to vomit every time you get an email. There's a whole other special level of anxiety knowing your future could change at any hour, any day, of an entire month. Anxiety doesn't even describe it. 

I think that's the one thing I prefer about the OMSAS system. At least we have a date, so you don't get it at a random point which can be a really tough if the news is bad

Yeah, I hear that. That would be pretty nerve-wracking. I don't even bother checking my email, I know there's no point until the 10th. I have a headache since yesterday that just won't go away, can't tell if it's related to this stress or for some other reason.

Depending on how busy I am at work, I might just have my wife check my e-mail for me. She's freaking out more than I am right now because her future basically depends entirely on what happens to me. But I'm happy that we know the exact date when we'll find out.

How are those who interviewed at only one school doing? Because I'm in that boat and am doubting myself more and more every minute. Decision day is 6 days away and that seems like forever from now...

Well, not great, as expected. Interviewing at one school is stressful. I only applied to one school so I can't really complain.

How are those who interviewed at only one school doing? Because I'm in that boat and am doubting myself more and more every minute. Decision day is 6 days away and that seems like forever from now...

Came out feeling pretty good to be honest, but the more I think about it, the worse I feel.

I interviewed at three schools but am haunted by flaws in my performance at all three. I'm also doubting myself a lot as I can see reasons why I might be rejected at all three schools.

I wish I could go into an induced coma for a few days, just to bring the big date closer...

I really have no idea how my one OMSAS interview went, so I'm basically already preparing for next cycle.

This is smart. I keep telling myself I need to start doing this. Especially because I only could afford to apply to one school this cycle. I know that sucks but sometimes life throws you unexpected curve balls, at least I was able to get an interview at the one school I applied to. It's way worse post-interview, knowing if I get one bad email on the 10th, then that's it for this year.

I applied to one school only. I'm extremely anxious and I get even more anxious thinking about having to go through the application cycle again.

I applied to one school only. I'm extremely anxious and I get even more anxious thinking about having to go through the application cycle again.

I'm sure that's a relatable feeling but I guess we all have to be at peace with the fact that there's always a chance with any of our apps that this may end up happening...but having gotten interviews, we would all probably make great candidates and it's just a matter of trying again because there are some chancey things associated with this process and it's anything but predictable. I keep trying to mentally go through the motions of the bad outcome too, while limiting feelings of frustration/anxiety/hopelessness because ultimately that's not you want to feel for the next year if you have to put yourself through this. This was a wonderful learning experience and I'm honoured to have been part of this year's group of interviewees in Ontario.

I'm sure that's a relatable feeling but I guess we all have to be at peace with the fact that there's always a chance with any of our apps that this may end up happening...but having gotten interviews, we would all probably make great candidates and it's just a matter of trying again because there are some chancey things associated with this process and it's anything but predictable. I keep trying to mentally go through the motions of the bad outcome too, while limiting feelings of frustration/anxiety/hopelessness because ultimately that's not you want to feel for the next year if you have to put yourself through this. This was a wonderful learning experience and I'm honoured to have been part of this year's group of interviewees in Ontario.

I always try my best to remain positive and view every experience as an accomplishment and a lesson. I'm so grateful and humbled by the fact that I received an interview invite and I honestly grew as a person throughout the application process. However, the anxiety creeps back into my positive thinking at times, and now the anxiety is on full blast! Only time will tell. I just want to build a fort and dwell in it in my pajamas for the next 6 days.

Wishing the best of luck to everyone! 

How are you humbled by receiving an interview? I hear a lot of people say that and I don't really get it. I was ecstatic and thankful, but I wouldn't say that recieving an interview made me feel like my self image of importance was lowered.

Not really a comment on feeling anxiety, but I just was wondering if someone could explain this idea that having accomplishments acknowledged humbles you.

How are you humbled by receiving an interview? I hear a lot of people say that and I don't really get it. I was ecstatic and thankful, but I wouldn't say that recieving an interview made me feel like my self image of importance was lowered.

Not really a comment on feeling anxiety, but I just was wondering if someone could explain this idea that having accomplishments acknowledged humbles you.

Well, for example, McMaster receives over 5K applicants, and they narrow it down to ~550 interviewees. If you sit back and think about it, you've surpassed 4500ish other people.

Huh. Cool. Woah.

Like... Idk I don't think "humbled" describes that feeling.

I felt humbled during the actual interview when I met other amazing applicants. This is because I come from a smaller shool and its easy to feel like a big fish in a small pond. It was humbling to see how amazing other people where and it made me reflect on my experiences.

That being said,actually receiving the interview invitation made me feel validated if anything. Like all the hard work I did was not in vain.

Archived