Premed 101 Forums

May 10 Support Thread

Actually, it's approximately 91 hours away if you count a 10am release time (which I think is usually later than when they do normally)...or like 99 hours if you're hoping to wait until after work like me...so considerably less than 5 days...it's probably our last weekend to just enjoy this moment though (as much as can be "enjoyed"!) since after this, we will be in the know, crazy to think. 

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get the crazy anxiety and worry. The answer is going to positive for at least half of us, and the other half were competitive enough for interviews so you've got a good shot next year! On top of all that, you can't do anything about it...so why all the nerves!? It's not like you can study for Tuesday. Maybe being slightly older changes my outlook a bit, but don't worry so much! Enjoy life, with or without medicine :)!

I don't get the crazy anxiety and worry. The answer is going to positive for at least half of us, and the other half were competitive enough for interviews so you've got a good shot next year. On top of all that, you can't do anything about it...so why all the nerves? It's not like you can study for Tuesday? Maybe being slightly older changes my outlook a bit, but don't worry so much!

Of course worrying doesn't actually help in any way, but I know that what stressed me out the most last year in the few days before offer day, was that I may have to tell all my friends, family, co-workers, etc. that I'd been rejected. Obviously, just being able to get an interview is something to be celebrated, but I was so, so scared to feel like a "failure" if I didn't get accepted (which is silly, because we are all so much more than just students, but that's how it felt!).

Good luck everyone! :)

Of course worrying doesn't actual help in any way, but I know that what stressed me out the most last year in the few days before offer day, was that I may have to tell all my friends, family, co-workers, etc. that I'd been rejected. Obviously, just being able to get an interview is something to be celebrated, but I was so, so scared to feel like a "failure" if I didn't get accepted (which is silly, because we are all so much more than just students, but that's how it felt!).

Good luck everyone! :)

Yep. This is/was the biggest source of worry, anxiety, and that lovely feeling of nausea with each email too. Logically, it makes no sense because these are also the people who would have cried along with me if it Tuesday doesn't bring the responses I'm hoping for. But after listening to me stress and complain and over-analyze for 9 months, writing my letters, etc., these are the people I don't want to 'disappoint'. Although they'd hate to hear me say that :P

I don't get the crazy anxiety and worry. The answer is going to positive for at least half of us, and the other half were competitive enough for interviews so you've got a good shot next year! On top of all that, you can't do anything about it...so why all the nerves!? It's not like you can study for Tuesday. Maybe being slightly older changes my outlook a bit, but don't worry so much! Enjoy life, with or without medicine :)!

I think some people, like myself, are naturally more prone to anxiety. I am a slightly older applicant (not sure how old is old, but I would be considered non-trad in this forum at 27) and while that makes me have a broader perspective on things, and that definitely does help managing anxiety, if you're prone to anxiety it is more a mental state than a maturity thing. Management of it has gotten better with age for me, not sure if that's true for everyone, but my anxiety is also not very extreme...I have met others who are far worse and I don't know if age has helped them necessarily handle it better. It's probably a good idea for all of us to have some understanding about this even those of us who aren't prone to it as I'm sure you'll meet a lot of patients that will need the empathy and understanding to have the best outcomes since anxiety is a common problem tehse days.

Not all of the schools accept about half of intervieweees. I applied at NOSM, that accepts the fewest in ON and also has the least waitlist movement traditionally. It's about a 20 percent acceptance after interview, compared to the approx 50 percent in other schools. But agreed, getting an interview shows promise. There are also many people who I know have interviewed more than 3 times at NOSM, great applicants, and are still getting either waitlisted or outright rejected. The lack of predictability in the process I think is the stressor for me. Anyhoo such is life.

Anyone know what time OMSAS updates with our offers on Tuesday? Like can we check at 12:01 am on Tuesday morning and will it all be there?

i dont think it really updates on there (not 100% sure)

once you get your offer you go on OMSAS and it has a list of all the schools you applied to in october. then you just select accept offer or something from a drop-down menue. but that option om OMSAS is available for all schools, even if they rejected you. you can do it the same day if you want 

i dont think it really updates on there (not 100% sure)

once you get your offer you go on OMSAS and it has a list of all the schools you applied to in october. then you just select accept offer or something from a drop-down menue. but that option om OMSAS is available for all schools, even if they rejected you. you can do it the same day if you want 

^ I second this. My OMSAS did not change based on the offers I got. So sadly, OMSAS will tell you nothing on offer day.

Good luck everyone - getting extremely close!

Thanks for coming over to our thread and sending us a note of encouragement! It's always nice to see those who have gone through it (and are now wayyy long past:)) check in with us who are going through it now!

Thanks for coming over to our thread and sending us a note of encouragement! It's always nice to see those who have gone through it (and are now wayyy long past:)) check in with us who are going through it now!

Ha - doesn't feel that long about but probably because the event is burned into my brain :)

Ha - doesn't feel that long about but probably because the event is burned into my brain :)

Yea, it's traumatizing. Not even kidding. I think this is why it will be burned in my brain  :P

It's all good though. Whatever happens, at least I know where I stood in it all on Tuesday. Even if it's waitlist, at least I know where I stand on the waitlist since NOSM tells you that. If I have to re-apply to more schools next year, at least next year I can afford to do it which I couldn't this year. I can't believe how unbelievably expensive they make each step of the process, even way before you apply (MCAT etc).

Yea, it's traumatizing. Not even kidding. I think this is why it will be burned in my brain  :P

It's all good though. Whatever happens, at least I know where I stood in it all on Tuesday. Even if it's waitlist, at least I know where I stand on the waitlist since NOSM tells you that. If I have to re-apply to more schools next year, at least next year I can afford to do it which I couldn't this year. I can't believe how unbelievably expensive they make each step of the process, even way before you apply (MCAT etc).

Oh it is absolutely ridiculous. My applying to medical school cost us around 10% of our annual income, with my MCAT included (which I wrote in a different year than when I applied, so it wasn't really part of that.) The cost barrier to getting in is absolutely insane. Of course once you're in, the ridiculous costs don't stop. The tuition is the least of it. 

I agree Birdy. I actually had to work some side jobs to help pay for the MCAT and med school applications. And that didn't include that costs of travelling to interviews (which luckily I could drive to). Of course I'm the fool because I'm also still paying off my student loans from the higher education I chose to pursue in my 20s...

On the bright side, 24 hours (ish) until we find out! I just decided that I'm asking my boss for tomorrow off :-)

Archived