Premed 101 Forums

May 10 Support Thread

Are you allowed to put a deposit down at more than one med school? In case of wait list offers coming after?

No, once you accept one school you are removed from the other OMSAS school waitlists. It's a bit of a flaw in the system in some ways, but I'm sure you could imagine the mess of people holding multiple offers and then schools scrambling in late summer that would result if not! 

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you allowed to put a deposit down at more than one med school? In case of wait list offers coming after?

You can't do multiple OMSAS schools. Once you accept one OMSAS offer you're removed from the other OMSAS waitlists. I believe if you have an acceptance to an OOP school you might be able to accept an OMSAS offer (or vice versa) but I'm not 100% sure.

So... What are you all doing instead of sleeping tonight

I am in trouble. Gotta wake up for work at 6:30am so if I don't sleep tonight, it's gonna be bad tomorrow. Of course, my manager booked a performance evaluation meeting tomorrow as well...so I really need not to be a downer and distracted for this meeting, ...now it's even more important I don't check emails until later....

I don't see this a viable option. You can send money at all the school you applied to, but you will loose your money since you can only accept one. Also, sending in your money doesn't give you more chance of being accepted at that school.

Yes I was referring to an OOP Offer. I am currently wait listed at an OOP med school and would be delighted to accept the OMSAS offer but don't want to discount all possible schools.

Oh, then in this case it depends on the OOP school. For the OOP school I was accepted at, I had to pay the deposit, and I was told if I accept an ON school (confirmed with OMSAS) you must decline the OOP school within 48 hours. Or if you were waitlisted, you could pay the OMSAS deposit but stay on your other waitlist

The only difference is you can accept OOP, and remain on an OMSAS waitlist indefinitely. But you can't pay deposits to both and not turn down one right after.

Again, best to contact the schools involved

Has anyone had experiences where schools release in the afternoon instead of morning? I am just curious about this. If it's automated, it would be so nice if they could create an OMSAS system where it would just update automatically at like 12:01 am. lol

I have had to go through some struggles to even be in this fortunate position to be awaiting a decision tomorrow. I am trying to focus on that. I never realized how much it would literally be painful waiting these last few hours, because I know I've gone through so much worse in life it's actually ridiculous. But everything feels like it's building up to this, even though I know all is not lost because one can always re-apply. The heart isn't always rational.

Has anyone had experiences where schools release in the afternoon instead of morning? I am just curious about this. If it's automated, it would be so nice if they could create an OMSAS system where it would just update automatically at like 12:01 am. lol

haha but then there could be guaranteed no sleep tonight. Instead of just very little sleep.....

I have had to go through some struggles to even be in this fortunate position to be awaiting a decision tomorrow. I am trying to focus on that. I never realized how much it would literally be painful waiting these last few hours, because I know I've gone through so much worse in life it's actually ridiculous. But everything feels like it's building up to this, even though I know all is not lost because one can always re-apply. The heart isn't always rational.

No matter what happens, you're still better off than if you hadn't applied this year. Think of how much more you know about the whole process now, what to expect in the interviews, etc.

I sincerely hope you get good news tomorrow, but even if things don't work out this time around, just remember you're already that much closer than you were last year :)

It is 1:33 AM right now, and I really just want to sleep and completely forget about what is going to happen in a few hours. But my cortisol levels are higher than I have ever had it be...

I really wish everyone luck, reading this entire thread in one go helped me accept my imminent doom.

GOD I am going crazy!! 

Good luck everyone!

Definitely try to distract yourself somehow - my year I tried going for a long walk, but ended up leaving too early and getting back well before my first e-mail arrived :P Still, helped calmed the nerves a little bit!

Archived