Premed 101 Forums

2016 Backpack Vote

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh. Because traditionally feminine colours can't be professional.... I know that's not what you all meant but that's where it comes from.

Lime green and bright orange aren't professional either. But no one made that complaint about those.

I've always called those backpacks pylons and TMNTs. They're equally as bad.

Purple is also a traditionally more feminine colour, but I love it because they didn't make it bright and childish.

I voted teal, but even I wish it was more subdued. Neon backpacks just aren't my thing. And just so this doesn't devolve into madness, here's what I would be happy with:

w8szpe1.jpg  vs this mess: 570eb2fd28283-Pink.jpg

and if I had any choice it'd be this:

bQQaQBB.jpg

I've always called those backpacks pylons and TMNTs. They're equally as bad.

Purple is also a traditionally more feminine colour, but I love it because they didn't make it bright and childish.

I voted teal, but even I wish it was more subdued. Neon backpacks just aren't my thing. And just so this doesn't devolve into madness, here's what I would be happy with:

w8szpe1.jpg vs this mess: 570eb2fd28283-Pink.jpg

and if I had any choice it'd be this:

bQQaQBB.jpg

Yah, I get it. There's a difference between thinking they're ugly and thinking they're unprofessional though.

These backpacks have always made me feel sad about our profession and what it says about medical students, who seem to cling to them as a symbol of status until they receive their white coat.

What? We get backpacks and white coats at basically the same time, and it's not a status symbol. It's a fun tradition and a cool way to recognize other med students when out and about.

These backpacks have always made me feel sad about our profession and what it says about medical students, who seem to cling to them as a symbol of status until they receive their white coat.

wtf because every other faculty in this world wears their own hoodie/jackets but when suddenly a med student wears a matching backpack or a medicine hoodie it's because they are 'so proud' and use it as a symbol status. I don't think you're even in med school because we get our white coat at the same time and real doctors don't even wear it much...

I don't view it so much as a status thing (because outside of the med community, they aren't really widely known) but it is awfully useful with finding classmates. In my 9th month of med school and I still don't know all my classmates. Just last week on the shuttle from our distant parking lot, someone came up to me and said "Hey, you're in my class. I don't think we've met!" and we ended up chatting on the way to ProComp. I can see my classmates quite a ways away when we're meeting up somewhere because I just have to look for the purple backpacks. It's surprisingly convenient to have a way to find people. 

What? We get backpacks and white coats at basically the same time, and it's not a status symbol. It's a fun tradition and a cool way to recognize other med students when out and about.

Yeah, fair enough. it's just my opinion. I've always thought it was kind of telling. And I do think it would be a fun experiment to see how many people wore them around if they didn't say MD financial or CMA on them :)

I don't think you're even in med school because we get our white coat at the same time and real doctors don't even wear it much...

You're right, I'm not in med school. Haven't been for a while now (our class was a green backpack of 9 years ago).

On 4/28/2016 at 3:08 PM, BrendanJ said:

agree 100%, it's a status symbol. I cannot accept anyone's argument that they wear it because it is "high quality"/"spacious" or any other excuse after seeing how excited people were to receive them. Like this backpack was seriously more spacious and high quality than 95% of people's old backpacks? Because almost everyone ditched their old packs and immediately started wearing the them around campus. Not buying it

Nobody gets that excited for a spacious, quality backpack. stop lying to yourselves lmao

agree 100%, it's a status symbol. I cannot accept anyone's argument that they wear it because it is "high quality"/"spacious" or any other excuse after seeing how excited people were to receive them. Like this backpack was seriously more spacious and high quality than 95% of people's old backpacks? Because almost everyone ditched their old packs and immediately started wearing the them around campus. Not buying it

Nobody gets that excited for a spacious, quality backpack. stop lying to yourselves lmao

I've never seen a high quality/spacious backpack be so hyped up to warrant a poll 4 months in advance.

Yeah, fair enough. it's just my opinion. I've always thought it was kind of telling. And I do think it would be a fun experiment to see how many people wore them around if they didn't say MD financial or CMA on them :)

Has anyone else tried to blacken in or otherwise obscure the logos before wearing the backpack?

Literally everyone would still wear them if they didn't say MD on them, because it's written in silver and you have to get up pretty close to read the small-ish font.

Nobody knows what they are except people in medicine (and a few premeds), so I'm not sure how they're a status symbol.

Literally everyone would still wear them if they didn't say MD on them, because it's written in silver and you have to get up pretty close to read the small-ish font.

Nobody knows what they are except people in medicine (and a few premeds), so I'm not sure how they're a status symbol.

THIS. I had no clue they existed until I saw the polls/talk on this forum, because my school now doesn't have a med school. 

It's like the X-ring at St. Fx university. I don't notice them, ever, but my friends who went there spot them everywhere, because they are looking for it

Not to mention it fades pretty quickly. At least it's faded quite a bit on my bag, though I'm pretty tough on my backpacks. 

ottawa doesn't get a backpack right?

They don't get the ones the rest of us get, but they get their own.

Well, they used to at least. I don't know if that's still the case. My last clinical skills preceptors both went to Ottawa (class of 2015) and they had black bags with the U of O logo on them.

Archived