Premed 101 Forums

2016 Backpack Vote

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do people actually wear the backpack? Seems super pretentious. I'll probably give mine to my mom or something.

Personally, I find it's only very recognizable to people looking for it. It's not being pretentious not to hide one's choice of career path. 

It's a free backpack, so I wouldn't call it pretentious to use it. Is everyone who wears a university/college sweater pretentious?

Personally, I find it's only very recognizable to people looking for it. It's not being pretentious not to hide tone's choice of career path.

It's a free backpack, so I wouldn't call it pretentious to use it. Is everyone who wears a university/college sweater pretentious?

Yup I definitely found the people who turned their noses up at a free backpack much more pretentious.

Personally, I find it's only very recognizable to people looking for it. It's not being pretentious not to hide one's choice of career path. 

It's a free backpack, so I wouldn't call it pretentious to use it. Is everyone who wears a university/college sweater pretentious?

Not sure how being iffy about wearing a backpack makes me not proud of becoming a doctor.

It just appears that medical school students keep going great lengths to try to differentiates themselves from everyone else in the university. That's certainly the impression a lot of people have anyways.

Yup I definitely found the people who turned their noses up at a free backpack much more pretentious.

I'm sorry that I appear pretentious because I'm iffy about wearing apparel that tries its hardest to differentiate the wearer from everyone else.

Not sure how being iffy about wearing a backpack makes me not proud of becoming a doctor.

It just appears that medical school students keep going great lengths to try to differentiates themselves from everyone else in the university. That's certainly the impression a lot of people have anyways.

I'm sorry that I appear pretentious because I'm iffy about wearing apparel that tries its hardest to differentiate the wearer from everyone else.

I never, ever said that it didn't make you proud to be going to medical school....

MD financial management is a company, and we are their potential clients. Companies advertise and offer incentives to get new clients, it's a necessary part of business. So I have a strong feeling that the logos on the backpacks are more of an advertisement for MD rather than an attempt of pretentious medical students to make themselves as different as possible. 

I didn't really mean you. More the people who were all like "I'm not wearing that, it's soooooo ugly why would anyone wear that".  

But anyways, this argument has come up so many times before.  It doesn't really differentiate med students from others, because no one except people in medicine and premeds know what it is. It has a very discrete CMA logo on it that you can't see unless it's close up.  Honestly, it functions very similarly to the grad year sweatpants most people got in high school.  It tells people who know what it is what school you go to (for the sweats, what program you're in for the backpacks I guess) and what year you graduate, and that's about it.  For others, its just sweatpants/a backpack.

Its not like people are walking around with their white coats and stethoscopes around their necks. Or wearing your hospital ID to the mall or something (although I've done that by accident). 

I didn't really mean you. More the people who were all like "I'm not wearing that, it's soooooo ugly why would anyone wear that".  

But anyways, this argument has come up so many times before.  It doesn't really differentiate med students from others, because no one except people in medicine and premeds know what it is. It has a very discrete CMA logo on it that you can't see unless it's close up.  Honestly, it functions very similarly to the grad year sweatpants most people got in high school.  It tells people who know what it is what school you go to (for the sweats, what program you're in for the backpacks I guess) and what year you graduate, and that's about it.  For others, its just sweatpants/a backpack.

Its not like people are walking around with their white coats and stethoscopes around their necks. Or wearing your hospital ID to the mall or something (although I've done that by accident). 

So if you don't like something you should still wear it to conform to everyone else wearing it? I guarantee if it was a color I didn't like, like orange or green the last few years, I wouldn't wear it because it's incredibly ugly and I shouldn't be forced to by people like you. Sorry for having a fashion sense and not simply wearing something because people like you will judge anyone that doesnt,, 

So if you don't like something you should still wear it to conform to everyone else wearing it? I guarantee if it was a color I didn't like, like orange or green the last few years, I wouldn't wear it because it's incredibly ugly and I shouldn't be forced to by people like you. Sorry for having a fashion sense and not simply wearing something because people like you will judge anyone that doesnt,,

You don't have to be mean.

It's not nice to talk about how ugly you think something is in front of people who are clearly excited about it.

I in no way force anyone to wear anything.

I'm glad you have a fashion sense. Congrats. So do I. I just don't think a school backpack is a big deal. You're not dressing up for preclerkship anyways. Not like I wear it on the wards.

Do people actually wear the backpack? Seems super pretentious. I'll probably give mine to my mom or something.

I'd say around 80% of my class does. I do. It's an awesome backpack, for one, but it's also very helpful for spotting classmates or other year med students when out and about. It's a great way to identify other med students when on an elective too.

I don't really see how it's pretentious. Besides current/recent med students and some hospital staff at teaching hospitals (and some premeds) few people know what they stand for. It's not really advertising I'm a med student, particularly since the OMA/CMA branding has faded a lot.

They can seem initially to be pretentious. The thing is though in medical school you are overwhelmingly with your class/other medical students, or other health care people. Ultimately there isn't really anyone you are impressing ha as when everyone has one then there is no one left. Outside of premeds/medical students most people have no idea what the bags are even about - and while of course we are rather focused on the premed/med student crowd, the vast majority of people aren't in tune with that :)

I never even heard of them until I got to campus.

Plus they are durable bags. I mean I am still using mine and that has been 8 years now. Still going strong.

Can I please dispel this myth.....   we order enough bags for the incoming class with a few extra...  there is a warranty for manufacturing defects but not wear and tear.   We don't have a lifetime supply of them kicking around because we custom order these from high sierra.   Sometimes backpacks are sent away for repair but most are due to usage so the cost is nominal for the person to have it fixed....   

I saw on McGill campus that their bags have their class year embroidered on the side. Do all schools have this?

Ours is on the left strap, and it's fortunately correct for Mac students (mine says 2018 since I'm at Mac whereas most people who got a purple one would be 2019s.)

Archived