Premed 101 Forums

Graduate Applicants And Publications

I have a question regarding the publication requirement for grad students. The UofT admission site mentions the following about publications: 

"In some cases, graduate applicants may undergo a separate graduate application review if you are able to demonstrate substantial productivity on your academic CV. Aside from presentations, posters and conferences, we are looking to see if you have completed at least one first author publication."

Does this mean in order to be assessed in the graduate stream, you must have at least one first author publication? Will you otherwise be assessed in the undergraduate admissions stream? Also does anyone know if it has to be published by the time you apply, or can it be in review? 

Thanks! 

I have no particular knowledge or experience with your questions. I would think "completed ....... publication" means precisely what the words state and that, therefore, submission adds nothing of any significance. I would imagine, but do not know, that graduate students are assessed separately.

Good luck.

It seems a little confusing, for sure. I have a non-research based Masters (MBA) and I still believe I was given credit for it. It seems to me like they may give you 'special' consideration if you have a research-based graduate degree and multiple publications.

Gotta love the ambiguity of the process!

It seems a little confusing, for sure. I have a non-research based Masters (MBA) and I still believe I was given credit for it. It seems to me like they may give you 'special' consideration if you have a research-based graduate degree and multiple publications.

Gotta love the ambiguity of the process!

Yes, definitely ambiguous and thanks for the insight. Does this mean regardless of whether you have publications, as a grad student, the minimum GPA cutoff would still be 3.0? 

Hmm I emailed them directly about this and this is what they said: 

"if your program requires you to produce primary data and/or to dedicate substantial amount of your programs hours toward research, then it maybe in your best interest to apply to our medical program with your CV and graduate supervisor’s letter."

"As a general rule, applicants receive the benefit of a graduate review if they are able to demonstrate substantial productivity on their academic CV.  Aside from presentations, posters and conferences, the admissions committee is looking specifically to see if an applicant has completed at least one first author publication."

​So yes looks like you need at least one first author publication, then everything else is extra fluff (posters, conferences etc.). So it looks like they scrutinize your graduate productivity very closely.

I emailed them because I am in a 16 month MSc, however mine includes a traditional thesis defence and I am one of few in my program doing a wetlab thesis + submitting a first author pub - so for those in a similar MSc (even less than the trad 2 years) and getting a pub I highly reckon that you submit your app as a grad student into the grad stream (need to include extra stuff in your app)

Sorry for the bad typing and lack of grammar corrections, currently typing this on my phone as I walk home from the lab :P

Grad applications certainly focus around productivity, however there is no one strict criteria about what defines as "Productive" during your grad years. They look at everything, and a first author paper is not a pre-req needed for admission. A 2nd, 3rd, or nth position is certainly fine. 

The "Fluff" that someone mentioned earlier sometimes is a bit more than just "fluff". A student going to 7-8 different conferences during their MSc lifespan and did not publish a first author doesn't mean that they didn't produce tremendous. So no, it's not just fluff. The adcom takes a careful look at all that you do given your program, lifespan etc...

There have been plenty of MSc students admitted with no papers at all ( I am talking about wet lab people)….

Good luck and cheers.

Grad applications certainly focus around productivity, however there is no one strict criteria about what defines as "Productive" during your grad years. They look at everything, and a first author paper is not a pre-req needed for admission. A 2nd, 3rd, or nth position is certainly fine. 

The "Fluff" that someone mentioned earlier sometimes is a bit more than just "fluff". A student going to 7-8 different conferences during their MSc lifespan and did not publish a first author doesn't mean that they didn't produce tremendous. So no, it's not just fluff. The adcom takes a careful look at all that you do given your program, lifespan etc...

There have been plenty of MSc students admitted with no papers at all ( I am talking about wet lab people)….

Good luck and cheers.

A student who has attended 7-8 conferences likely has their own 1st author paper, well at least any student I have known or come across that has attended + spoken at conferences about their own research topic/idea has submitted or published a 1st author paper... I could be biased and be speaking on my own experiences however...

Nevertheless the point I think everyone is trying to make here: the more you do in your grad degree will only help you, that is for sure.

Archived