Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
niceshrp

Palliative Care Salary?

Hey guys, 

I am wondering if anyone knows what you could make as full time palliative physician or even part time. 

I love palliative care, and I do not need to make much money, but it would be good enough to be at equivalent to having a moderate size family clinic.

And I do not think it's unreasonable to ask about future earnings as someone who may be interested in a field.  

Thanks!

Hey guys, 

I am wondering if anyone knows what you could make as full time palliative physician or even part time. 

I love palliative care, and I do not need to make much money, but it would be good enough to be at equivalent to having a moderate size family clinic.

And I do not think it's unreasonable to ask about future earnings as someone who may be interested in a field.  

Thanks!

hehehehe it is annoying people even feel guilty about asking about earnings in a particular field. It was one of the fields I was considering - my research area is degenerative brain disease so you can see the overlap. Pays less than average for internal medicine but still more than family medicine according to the people I talked to :)

If you really want to know deals I can try to and talk to people I know that just graduated in that sub-specialty - graduated literally yesterday in fact as the college results are out!

hehehehe it is annoying people even feel guilty about asking about earnings in a particular field. It was one of the fields I was considering - my research area is degenerative brain disease so you can see the overlap. Pays less than average for internal medicine but still more than family medicine according to the people I talked to :)

If you really want to know deals I can try to and talk to people I know that just graduated in that sub-specialty - graduated literally yesterday in fact as the college results are out!

Hey rmorelan,

I would really appreciate that! Yes, sometimes I do feel guilty but given that I have $200,000 to pay off, and the unstable job market, I have to ask.

Thanks again!

Hi, 

I work full-time as a FFS palliative care doc in a community setting doing inpatient, outpatient and community work. On average, I gross $360-420 k per year, with no overhead. In addition to a carrying a full patient load in hospital, I also carry 40-50 community patients at a time, which can make for a busy day if you're having to do home visits after being at the hospital. This figure also includes having to work about 6-9 weekends/year, as well. 

Hi, 

I work full-time as a FFS palliative care doc in a community setting doing inpatient, outpatient and community work. On average, I gross $360-420 k per year, with no overhead. In addition to a carrying a full patient load in hospital, I also carry 40-50 community patients at a time, which can make for a busy day if you're having to do home visits after being at the hospital. This figure also includes having to work about 6-9 weekends/year, as well. 

Thanks Choap10 for your answer! May I ask which province you work in, and if you trained in +1 palliative care? 

How long have you been doing this for and have you been enjoying it so far? Of course I loved the encounters I have had in palliative care and I am also planning to do more extensive electives in it, but I worry that perhaps you burn out after many years of dealing with terminally ill patients. I am also meeting up with other palliative physicians to hear their experiences as well.