Premed 101 Forums

I think you are misinformed. CaRMS is for residency not for med student's, and although some residency programs have a gender bias, your post is unspecific to which program. If you are saying that Queen's picked an all female med school class i think your "friend" is pulling your leg.

I think you are misinformed. CaRMS is for residency not for med student's, and although some residency programs have a gender bias, your post is unspecific to which program. If you are saying that Queen's picked an all female med school class i think your "friend" is pulling your leg.

He's referring to the 6-year high school direct entry med school program (QuARMS), not the residency match.

I have a question for you.

If they had selected all men, would you have posted that as well? Would you have had the same reaction?

Seriously? Why would it not be surprising that 100% of candidates selected for a very competitive process happen to be the same sex, especially considering classes hover around 50:50?

I think that statistic is a testament to the fact that women are more mature at a younger age. Even if you look at the process as a whole excluding quarms, more women are admitted than males. Probably due to the fact that they interview better. 

But seriously, would you have the same reaction if a nursing class was all women? Occupational Therapy? etc. Likely not, because they are traditionally 'feminine' professions and roles.

So then why the surprise that a medical school group is all women? Because medicine is a traditionally 'masculine' profession. But not anymore.  :)

But seriously, would you have the same reaction if a nursing class was all women? Occupational Therapy? etc. Likely not, because they are traditionally 'feminine' professions and roles.

So then why the surprise that a medical school group is all women? Because medicine is a traditionally 'masculine' profession. But not anymore.  :)

How is it not surprising? Selection processes have largely become balanced over the last decade +, so yeah it is surprising that all ten happened to be of one gender. I will give props to Queen's for sticking with the 10 best applicants.

It wouldn't be surprising for a nursing class to be all women because nursing is still dominated by women.

Medicine, like you said yourself, is no longer dominated by men. That's why it would be surprising for 100% of a class to be female OR male. I made that clear in my last post, I'm sorry if you were too offended to think I would also be surprised if the entering QuARMS class was 100% male.

Women are highly represented in health care, medicine included. But due to misogyny and sexism, it wasn't acceptable for women to study or practice Medicine back in the day. The days of medicine being an old boys club is long gone:)

haha, not for a while longer. Much better off than before, but there is definitely still elements of Old Boys club and as well as nepotism.

Throwing a wrench in this topic, but as a member of the LGBTQQIAAP community, gender isn't a binary and what stats the OP may have received from their friend may be biased to the interpretation of said person. The tone of the original post seemed to allude to the fact that it was going against the status quo with the "bold move", but I think there SHOULD be more opportunities presented to those systematically oppressed by the profession. At the interview, I was very surprised to see the lack of diversity in the applicants, but hey, the process is blinded to race, but the cause may be less people of colour feel the need to apply to Queen's or less are invited for an interview. I think the fact all women were chosen for the cohort of QuARMS is a testament to their merits and potential in the program, rather than the fact that they are all female. Statistically, yes, it is uncommon and surprising 100% would be female, but hardly a "bold move", but more of a "commendable applaud", in my opinion.

Throwing a wrench in this topic, but as a member of the LGBTQQIAAP community, gender isn't a binary and what stats the OP may have received from their friend may be biased to the interpretation of said person. The tone of the original post seemed to allude to the fact that it was going against the status quo with the "bold move", but I think there SHOULD be more opportunities presented to those systematically oppressed by the profession. At the interview, I was very surprised to see the lack of diversity in the applicants, but hey, the process is blinded to race, but the cause may be less people of colour feel the need to apply to Queen's or less are invited for an interview. I think the fact all women were chosen for the cohort of QuARMS is a testament to their merits and potential in the program, rather than the fact that they are all female. Statistically, yes, it is uncommon and surprising 100% would be female, but hardly a "bold move", but more of a "commendable applaud", in my opinion.

*slow clap*

Eh, the OP ended it by saying 'bold move'. So yeah, I take that as a micro aggression towards women.

Honestly, the interpretation of 'bold move' as a microaggression is in the eye of the beholder. Perhaps OP thinks it's a bold move simply because being 100% of either gender may raise eyebrows, if not backlash. (raised eyebrows in either a positive or negative way, depending who's looking)

Using the same presumptive leap you did, I could just as easily take your smiley face in the above quote as a microaggression towards men, with the following interpretation: your smiley face is a gleeful celebration that men are now in the minority in the upcoming ranks of medical professionals. But I won't because a) I'm hoping that you're reasonable and B) I'm giving an internet stranger the benefit of the doubt.

Archived