Premed 101 Forums

Paying For Dental School

Hey guys I'm looking for some advice for how to approach paying for dental school in the fall. I'm wondering if it's a good idea to get as much as I can from Canada Student loans before going to the bank for something like a line of credit? My mom tells me that the government will often reimburse parts of the loans they give to you, which would lessen the load a bit hopefully. I know they aren't going to give me 50k a year, which is probably close to what I'm going to need (I haven't crunched the numbers yet)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Depending on your needs the government will give some bursaries as part of your student loan. I think both together will cover about ~$10k-15k per year and the rest will need to be funded through other means (line of credit, family, own funds etc.) That max loan amount will vary from one province to another. 

I think the order of operations shouldn't have too big of a impact - whether you'd be applying for student loan first then line of credit or the vice versa. I got my line of credit stuff sorted out first because I just wanted to get it out of the way.

You're right that you should try to get as much out of student loans as possible.  But it really doesn't hurt setting up a line of credit anyway.  A perk many bank LOCs come with is a no annual fee credit card.  If I were you, I would set up a line of credit so that you have it in place in case you need it.  There aren't any consequences to never using your LOC.

You're right that you should try to get as much out of student loans as possible.  But it really doesn't hurt setting up a line of credit anyway.  A perk many bank LOCs come with is a no annual fee credit card.  If I were you, I would set up a line of credit so that you have it in place in case you need it.  There aren't any consequences to never using your LOC.

Absolutely - having access when it doesn't cost you anything seems like a safe bet

Absolutely - having access when it doesn't cost you anything seems like a safe bet

ha, as long of course as you have the self control to actually not use it or use it appropriately.

Unlike that some of my classmates and their overly fancy cars :)

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good bank to go through for an LOC? I am so lost when it comes to financing my education right now... 

sure, you can start with the two major players - Scotia and RBC. Each school will have their own rep - where are going to school? There are a few well known contacts for each. You can always PM me with any questions. This stuff is important and you don't want to feel lost in it ha :)

Archived