Premed 101 Forums

Western's New Program: Integrated Science

Looks interesting. It's nice to see more programs that go beyond the typical bio/chem/biomed/physics etc majors and develop these kind of carefully thought out programs that aim to do more than just provide a list of semi-related courses for students to pick from

Sounds identical to Mcmasters integrated science program lol, been done before.

Just went through Mac's program description... they're almost nothing alike, Mac's comes off like a gimmicky hands-on pop-science program (what the hell is wine science?). Western's looks to integrate some of the newest growth in departments of epidemiology and health informatics (big data is the future, seriously), coupled with Ivey like leadership and program management, topped off with some stuff from the new public health program interwoven with your standard premed fare.

Pretty much just like UBC's integrated science program, again nothing new. You essentially just mishmash different disciplines and make your own degree, with a few core bridging courses.

All the buzz words that the western program uses, are essentially just the topics from existing computer science classes i'm guessing. 

All the buzz words that the western program uses, are essentially just the topics from existing computer science classes i'm guessing.

Nah, not at all, based on my experiences these would be entirely new courses, though Western has been making a push to expand in the area of epidemiology and health informatics by developing undergraduate modules and then again in public health by opening what essentially amounts to a new school of public health, these would be dedicated courses. This is a concerted effort to train undergrads in emerging fields, I like it.

Would this program allow me to meet the requirements for professional schools (ex. med school, pharmacy, optometry)? 

Those all have totally different requirements. What you would need to do is look at the courses listed as required for the western program and the pre-reqs for professional schools you want to apply to.

There is no shortcut, you just need to take the time and carefully look through things. Schools are generally very receptive to any specific questions you have

Just went through Mac's program description... they're almost nothing alike, Mac's comes off like a gimmicky hands-on pop-science program (what the hell is wine science?). Western's looks to integrate some of the newest growth in departments of epidemiology and health informatics (big data is the future, seriously), coupled with Ivey like leadership and program management, topped off with some stuff from the new public health program interwoven with your standard premed fare.

Lol, having had multiple friends in the mac integrated science program & reading this new western program, they're all essentially the same thing : multi-disciplinary approach to science. You're def getting overexcited by meaningless buzz words.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived