Premed 101 Forums

Uofa 2020 Acceptance/wl/rejected Thread

I think it'd be really really hard to get on the waitlist, let alone get into U of A with a 3.65 GPA. The only stat that is above average is your DAT, and it's not significantly above the average (68). With 75% of your application around mid-below average, I would imagine it'd be pretty hard to get on the waitlist unfortunately, especially since most of the waitlisters have ~3.84 with a decent interview or DAT. 

Hmm I beg to differ on their DAT score and interviews, I don't consider a 29 Interview or 61 DAT decent (No offense to the ones that got those). But if you account for 50% GPA, 25%DAT, 25% Interview, my cumulative scores are still higher than Hammerheadweds and _dreamville. Cumulatively I'm at a 84.2, and they are 83.9 and 83.7 respectively. So?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm I beg to differ on their DAT score and interviews, I don't consider a 29 Interview or 61 DAT decent (No offense to the ones that got those). But if you account for 50% GPA, 25%DAT, 25% Interview, my cumulative scores are still higher than Hammerheadweds and _dreamville. Cumulatively I'm at a 84.2, and they are 83.9 and 83.7 respectively. So?

There has been a lot of debate as to whether or not U of A even uses that method to calculate their ranking.

The waitlisters normally had something to counteract their low stat, either a high-average DAT or interview, along with a GPA that is significantly higher than yours. 

Not that I think your stats are bad per say, but unfortunately, I feel that a significantly below average GPA will hurt you a lot more than a bad interview/DAT based off previous statistics. I have the anonymous individual scores (GPA, RC/PAT/MDT, Interview) of the 2014 U of A dent class (from taking the Rock the DAT course) and it doesn't look like anyone is even below 3.7, even with slightly above average DAT and interview scores. 

There has been a lot of debate as to whether or not U of A even uses that method to calculate their ranking.

The waitlisters normally had something to counteract their low stat, either a high-average DAT or interview, along with a GPA that is significantly higher than yours. 

Not that I think your stats are bad per say, but unfortunately, I feel that a significantly below average GPA will hurt you a lot more than a bad interview/DAT based off previous statistics. I have the anonymous individual scores (GPA, RC/PAT/MDT, Interview) of the 2014 U of A dent class (from taking the Rock the DAT course) and it doesn't look like anyone is even below 3.7, even with slightly above average DAT and interview scores. 

Well I am going to ask them tomorrow in person how they calculate their GPA, since I even asked on numerous occasions if they thought I stood a chance to get into the UofA. However, they gave the most useless feedback. I had another opportunity to go to Boston, but why leave my friends and family and spend half a million dollars on tuition if there is a chance to get in here?

Yeah, I know that their system isn't exactly how we calculate it cause one of my buddies that just got accepted today had a higher "score" than some that got early admission. It is also possible that they set a minimum GPA after reviewing all the applicants?

Yeah, I know that their system isn't exactly how we calculate it cause one of my buddies that just got accepted today had a higher "score" than some that got early admission. It is also possible that they set a minimum GPA after reviewing all the applicants?

I am wondering that too, if they have a minimum GPA after reviewing all the applicants? But! Then why would they even let me have an interview regardless if they do that, and it also says on the UofA website that the absolute minimum GPA is 3.00, and above 3.50 is to be competitive. So in my mind, it gives hope to the lesser high GPA candidates.

If they considered my best years and deleted the years where I had family issues that affected my performance, I would be sitting at 3.84.... Lame

I am wondering that too, if they have a minimum GPA after reviewing all the applicants? But! Then why would they even let me have an interview regardless if they do that, and it also says on the UofA website that the absolute minimum GPA is 3.00, and above 3.50 is to be competitive. So in my mind, it gives hope to the lesser high GPA candidates.

If they considered my best years and deleted the years where I had family issues that affected my performance, I would be sitting at 3.84.... Lame

I'm sorry to hear about your personal family issue. I can definitely relate. I encourage you to keep going if dentistry is what your heart is set on

Will be declining in favor of UofM. Btw do we have to send that last form via mail to Chris saying that we decline and why? Or can we just call or email?

Hope it goes to one of you.

Probably have to send in the form! May I ask why you're declining? Having a struggle deciding myself as I was so sure id accept over home

Probably have to send in the form! May I ask why you're declining? Having a struggle deciding myself as I was so sure id accept over home

Hey, struggled with my decision too...take your time

I prefer the all-dental curriculum at UofM (heard about how useless all the med is by several graduates) Home will be like 100k cheaper for me. Being close to family will help me in dental school. A lot of my friends got in at home.

I was so sure I'd accept alberta too like you, but I realized once I had the option that i was idealizing moving out and living in a new city. Sure you'd grow, but I could move out here too if I wanted to and be better off with all other factors considered.

Hey, struggled with my decision too...take your time

I prefer the all-dental curriculum at UofM (heard about how useless all the med is by several graduates) Home will be like 100k cheaper for me. Being close to family will help me in dental school. A lot of my friends got in at home.

I was so sure I'd accept alberta too like you, but I realized once I had the option that i was idealizing moving out and living in a new city. Sure you'd grow, but I could move out here too if I wanted to and be better off with all other factors considered.

I have a PROs and CONs list and I have all of those things scratched down too. What do you thing PROs are? So far to me it seems like 1) great new buildings (not really relevant as you won't be practising there in the end), 2) new experiences/new city/new friends.......that's it for an oop?

Archived