Premed 101 Forums

What Is A Good Waitlist?

"Your name has been placed on a waiting list.  You will be notified by telephone or by e-mail communication if your name appears at the top of the list, should a vacancy occur before September."

Can anybody tell me it is good one or bad one ? Thanks.

Just to clarify the OP post;

All applicants on the waitlist will receive the statement about being contacted if your name appears on the top of the list.

The bad waitlist has a specific mention that "you are unlikely to receive an offer" just preceding that part.

If you don't have the part about "unlikely to receive an offer" then you are on a good waitlist.

Can anybody confirm that there is actually a bad wait list this cycle? I have not seen/heard of anyone who is on it? Thanks! Good luck to all!

I am wondering the same thing, does anyone know if a bad waitlist email was sent out?

I was wondering if the "good" wait list was based on previous data? It seems that the wait list moves quite a bit (I don't remember exact figures, but I think it was around 80 spots for french/english combined) so I figured "good" wait list meant you'e likely to receive an offer eventually?

Either way, since I was fortunate enough to get other offers, I don't think I will wait the 2 weeks to hear back from Ottawa. Tough decision though, since Ottawa was my number 1 choice.

I was wondering if the "good" wait list was based on previous data? It seems that the wait list moves quite a bit (I don't remember exact figures, but I think it was around 80 spots for french/english combined) so I figured "good" wait list meant you'e likely to receive an offer eventually?

Either way, since I was fortunate enough to get other offers, I don't think I will wait the 2 weeks to hear back from Ottawa. Tough decision though, since Ottawa was my number 1 choice.

I was wondering this too. Is it like Western's "good" waitlist where it's regularly cleared? 

Reading back on the forum it seams like the good waitlist is made up of two interview score groups. For example, everyone with a score of 4 on the interview is accepted, then a few from the 3.5 score group get accepted. The remaining people in the 3.5 score group as well as those in the 3.0 score group are put on the good waitlist. So we don't know what group we really are in. Person A could have a 3.96 gpa (like myself) and be in the 3.0 interview score group, and Person B could have a 3.91 GPA and be in the 3.5 interview score group. Person B will get I before Person A, so we really can't know how "good" our "good waitlist" really is. Unless you have like a 4.0 or something.

Reading back on the forum it seams like the good waitlist is made up of two interview score groups. For example, everyone with a score of 4 on the interview is accepted, then a few from the 3.5 score group get accepted. The remaining people in the 3.5 score group as well as those in the 3.0 score group are put on the good waitlist. So we don't know what group we really are in. Person A could have a 3.96 gpa (like myself) and be in the 3.0 interview score group, and Person B could have a 3.91 GPA and be in the 3.5 interview score group. Person B will get I before Person A, so we really can't know how "good" our "good waitlist" really is. Unless you have like a 4.0 or something.

I read that too but seems weird how they can put you in a category like that despite having 3 interviewers each with 3 different scores. There must be some kind of averaging going on.

Archived