Premed 101 Forums

2016 Waitlist Support Thread

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is from last year! Maybe it still applies:

High
"In recent years, applicants in your position on the Wait List have received an offer of admission."

Normal
"Although you were not ranked to receive an offer at this time, it was recommended that your name be placed on our Wait List. Any offer that is not accepted will be filled by an individual from the Wait List."

Low
"Although you were not ranked to receive an offer at this time, it was recommended that your name be placed on our Wait List. In recent years, applicants in your position on the Wait List have not received an offer of admission. While there are no certainties, we wanted to communicate this information to you in an attempt to allow you to be as informed as possible in making decisions about your future."

Do people get forced into Windsor from the high waitlist?

If you look back into through the years, there have been a sizeable number of waitlisters who got their first choice, be it London or Windsor! But don't look at it as being "forced" into Windsor. Windsor is an awesome campus and a sweet city!

I think the general consensus from the past is that the good waitlist clears and maybe a third or half of the normal one clears. Of course it's just speculation and a lot of things changed this year across Ontario that could affect whether applicants got multiple offers like the new mcat, high cars at schulich, written portion at schulich, Ottawa CASPER.

And also, Windsor is a great city. If you're assigned there, don't think of it as a sentence lol. Food is really good, class is tight knit, and we have plenty of integration weekends to see each other.

Anyway, good luck everyone. It's a difficult position to be in, having to balance being optimistic and planning for the possibility of rejection. But I hope you all realize you are all more than qualified if you made it this far. You are literally on the cusp. The number of excellent candidates will always exceed the number of available spots so sometimes it just takes persistence and even a little luck.

Sighh, normal waitlisted as well.

Do you guys think there is any correlation between waitlist position and timestamps?

ie. normal waitlisters on the higher end get earlier emails, type of thing...

never found a pattern - and knowing how it is sent out a pattern would be unlikely.

sucks being on a waitlist for sure. Hang in there.

I think the general consensus from the past is that the good waitlist clears and maybe a third or half of the normal one clears. Of course it's just speculation and a lot of things changed this year across Ontario that could affect whether applicants got multiple offers like the new mcat, high cars at schulich, written portion at schulich, Ottawa CASPER.

And also, Windsor is a great city. If you're assigned there, don't think of it as a sentence lol. Food is really good, class is tight knit, and we have plenty of integration weekends to see each other.

Anyway, good luck everyone. It's a difficult position to be in, having to balance being optimistic and planning for the possibility of rejection. But I hope you all realize you are all more than qualified if you made it this far. You are literally on the cusp. The number of excellent candidates will always exceed the number of available spots so sometimes it just takes persistence and even a little luck.

sounds about right.

Windsor really is a good place to do medical school - there are a lot of threads on that. Extremely good match results actually.

People on the high waitlist often do still get London. Once we are solely sending people to Windsor it likely tells us the upper bound on the number of spots left to be filled.

What are the chances that the waitlist will start moving before the may 24th omsas deadline?

we won't know that for sure - although usually they do wait to the end. The confound is if other schools start moving then there is some pressure to do that same on everyone else.

we really do need a better system for this - something like CARMS would be useful. At least then it is all over immediately for all.

sounds about right.

Windsor really is a good place to do medical school - there are a lot of threads on that. Extremely good match results actually.

People on the high waitlist often do still get London. Once we are solely sending people to Windsor it likely tells us the upper bound on the number of spots left to be filled.

Is there any reading you would suggest for the Windsor campus? I didn't hear about it much over the interview weekend so I would like to know more.

Does anyone know if there's any knowledge of how large the wait lists are and how much movement here is, number wise? Like how big the high wait list is, how many wait list people are typically accepted, etc? I remember such a stats sheet being passed around for all of the different Ontario schools once but I can't find it.

Does anyone know if there's any knowledge of how large the wait lists are and how much movement here is, number wise? Like how big the high wait list is, how many wait list people are typically accepted, etc? I remember such a stats sheet being passed around for all of the different Ontario schools once but I can't find it.

there isn't anything official and it does vary from year to year. People always seek some numbers at this point as it provides some measure of certainty and control(?) over what is a stressful uncontrolled process at time.

Some very rough numbers are the class is often made up of about 1/3 people pulled off of a waitlist (that is my number basic on my estimates - not getting that from the roster directly). We know the high wait list is small enough that it basically clears always (that is the plan). It is a way for the school to "kind of" tell people they got in but not officially.

So if you're on the low waitlist should you just treat it as a rejection ? I don't want to get my hopes up for no reason :(

I haven't seen anyone ever get off of that waitlist :(

I would start working on the next steps - if you got an interview you must be doing something right. Good chance you will meet the cut offs for instance again.

Archived