Premed 101 Forums

Unspecified Offers

Hey guys, I remember being confused when I first saw this last year so hope this helps a few of you out!

Here's a theoretical example of how (I think) unspecified offers work, with totally made-up numbers:

Say Schulich has 130 London seats and 40 Windsor seats. Say they give out 170 offers. All 170 top candidates get an offer, regardless of their campus choices (I mean, your campus choice doesn't affect whether you get in or not) . Say 150 of those ranked London as first and 20 ranked Windsor as first. Schulich gives out 130 London offers, 20 Windsor offers, and 20 "Unspecified" offers to the others who ranked London first. Schulich doesn't technically have a London seat to offer yet.

Each time one of those initial London offers is declined, an unspecified offer is moved to London (their first choice in this scenario). So basically, once 20 London offers are declined, all "Unspecified" would have been given London offers.

In recent years, "Unspecified", High waitlist, and perhaps even middle waitlist? have been given offers to their first choice (including London). So while it's not guaranteed, based on past trends it is highly highly likely that if you are "Unspecified" you will get your first choice in the end.

Also, I chose London due to proximity to my family, but remember there is no "better" campus! London and Windsor each have their own advantages and disadvantages but we all love where we are!

In the acceptance package it mentions we will know which campus we have by May 29th. Is there any chance we would know before that or will you just be sent something with that info on May 29th?

Currently debating between Mac and Western and I had my heart set on the London campus but this was a little bit of a curve ball I didn't think of for some reason.

In the acceptance package it mentions we will know which campus we have by May 29th. Is there any chance we would know before that or will you just be sent something with that info on May 29th?

Currently debating between Mac and Western and I had my heart set on the London campus but this was a little bit of a curve ball I didn't think of for some reason.

It probably won't come until May 29. I was in exactly the same position as you last year! I wish they could tell you earlier but they need to be careful what they say officially until they know for sure. I think most people would tell you that an unspecified is basically a for-sure offer to London. At least in the last 2 cycles (probably more if you want to go through the thread), London offers have dipped well into the waitlist, so unspecified offers have all become first-choice campus.

It probably won't come until May 29. I was in exactly the same position as you last year! I wish they could tell you earlier but they need to be careful what they say officially until they know for sure. I think most people would tell you that an unspecified is basically a for-sure offer to London. At least in the last 2 cycles (probably more if you want to go through the thread), London offers have dipped well into the waitlist, so unspecified offers have all become first-choice campus.

Don't believe anyone who got a conditional acceptance didn't end up at their first choice campus in my cycle either, so call it 3 years at least. Pretty sure the year before me was the same.

If anyone is waffling on accepting to offer to Western with an "Unspecified Campus" offer, please go overboard with asking questions either here or in a PM - it's a weird designation that can scare some people off, but it really shouldn't. Without offering 100% guarantees, it pretty much means an acceptance to your preferred campus and as snacks says, both campuses offer great experiences.

Don't believe anyone who got a conditional acceptance didn't end up at their first choice campus in my cycle either, so call it 3 years at least. Pretty sure the year before me was the same.

If anyone is waffling on accepting to offer to Western with an "Unspecified Campus" offer, please go overboard with asking questions either here or in a PM - it's a weird designation that can scare some people off, but it really shouldn't. Without offering 100% guarantees, it pretty much means an acceptance to your preferred campus and as snacks says, both campuses offer great experiences.

snacks is right - it means that right now the cannot give your campus of choice (likely as you picked London) by the math, but the only way you won't get it in the end is if less than the class size of Windsor - those that want windsor and have been accepted there don't select another school. That is actually a relatively small number of people (historically much, much less than the waitlist movement in other words). This is why the people do in the end get what they want :)

Archived