Premed 101 Forums

Disappointed With Assignment To Uoft Mississauga Campus

Hi everyone,

I was accepted to UofT Mississauga and am very disappointed. I asked to be assigned to the St.George campus, own a condo downtown, and my husband works downtown. I know that I should be happy to be accepted to medical school but when I think about commuting to Mississauga I'm filled with dread. Does anyone live downtown but go to the Mississauga campus? How do you commute? Is there any way to appeal and switch campuses?

Thank you

Hi everyone,

I was accepted to UofT Mississauga and am very disappointed. I asked to be assigned to the St.George campus, own a condo downtown, and my husband works downtown. I know that I should be happy to be accepted to medical school but when I think about commuting to Mississauga I'm filled with dread. Does anyone live downtown but go to the Mississauga campus? How do you commute? Is there any way to appeal and switch campuses?

Thank you

You will most likely have to relocate to Mississauga or at least somewhere no more than a 10 min drive away. That's just the nature of med school. I don't know a single person who commutes that distance. I have friends from the GTA who moved downtown (from Mississauga and Oakville) because they were accepted to the downtown campus. Now, even if you were to commute, it's actually pretty efficient - you have the Go train/bus running 2x each hour and reliable connections to local transit after. If you are driving, it really depends on the traffic and time of day. But typically, Mississauga to Union Station and vice-versa is about 40 min one way when you factor everything in. I know a lot of undergrads at UTSG and Ryerson do this and do well in school but I highly recommend not doing this when you're in med school. The work (especially first year) is too demanding. Getting into an Ontario med school is an achievement of a lifetime. Your husband should be more than willing to relocate near the Mississauga campus and commute to work downtown himself. That is a completely reasonable compromise and a part of what marriage is all about. Hope this helps.

You will most likely have to relocate to Mississauga or at least somewhere no more than a 10 min drive away. That's just the nature of med school. I don't know a single person who commutes that distance. I have friends from the GTA who moved downtown (from Mississauga and Oakville) because they were accepted to the downtown campus. Now, even if you were to commute, it's actually pretty efficient - you have the Go train/bus running 2x each hour and reliable connections to local transit after. If you are driving, it really depends on the traffic and time of day. But typically, Mississauga to Union Station and vice-versa is about 40 min one way when you factor everything in. I know a lot of undergrads at UTSG and Ryerson do this and do well in school but I highly recommend not doing this when you're in med school. The work (especially first year) is too demanding. Getting into an Ontario med school is an achievement of a lifetime. Your husband should be more than willing to relocate near the Mississauga campus and commute to work downtown himself. That is a completely reasonable compromise and a part of what marriage is all about. Hope this helps.

Hi There, MAM 1T9 here,

This post above is just not accurate in many ways. I agree that your husband should at least be willing to compromise and live somewhere in between, but of this years class (1T9), about 18/55 students live downtown and commute to Mississauga for classes. They love it and have very few if any complaints about the commute to Mississauga. It is 100% doable. Granted, the curriculum is a little different next year and will require you to be here more, it is likely still possible. There are many in the 2T0 facebook group created today that will be able to give you more information on this.

Now for my plug. I too, was disappointed at being placed at MAM rather than St George. But it has been the single biggest blessing. The faculty at MAM is unbelievably accommodating to us and really goes the extra mile for us. We get amazing clinical experiences in first and second year akin to what clerks see in third and fourth year, and our building is brand new (<5 years old). They have everything we need and the environment here is amazing. The students are truly a family and if I could do it all again I would 10/10 pick MAM over St. George.

There is no way to appeal, but there is tour on the 18th. Come meet everyone and your future classmates before completely going off the deep end and doing something crazy like turning down your offer. I know it may not seem ideal, but it really is a blessing in disguise. MAM is truly incredible. PM me if you want more information and I'd be happy to chat with you.

Also, a much belated CONGRATULATIONS! Welcome to UofT

Hi There, MAM 1T9 here,

This post above is just not accurate in many ways. I agree that your husband should at least be willing to compromise and live somewhere in between, but of this years class (1T9), about 18/55 students live downtown and commute to Mississauga for classes. They love it and have very few if any complaints about the commute to Mississauga. It is 100% doable. Granted, the curriculum is a little different next year and will require you to be here more, it is likely still possible. There are many in the 2T0 facebook group created today that will be able to give you more information on this.

Now for my plug. I too, was disappointed at being placed at MAM rather than St George. But it has been the single biggest blessing. The faculty at MAM is unbelievably accommodating to us and really goes the extra mile for us. We get amazing clinical experiences in first and second year akin to what clerks see in third and fourth year, and our building is brand new (<5 years old). They have everything we need and the environment here is amazing. The students are truly a family and if I could do it all again I would 10/10 pick MAM over St. George.

There is no way to appeal, but there is tour on the 18th. Come meet everyone and your future classmates before completely going off the deep end and doing something crazy like turning down your offer. I know it may not seem ideal, but it really is a blessing in disguise. MAM is truly incredible. PM me if you want more information and I'd be happy to chat with you.

Also, a much belated CONGRATULATIONS! Welcome to UofT

Lol wow.... my thoughts were completely off then! That was just based on the people I know so definitely not representative of everyone. I'm surprised to hear that commuting is that common.

1T8 MAM student here, just want to say that in my class we also had many students who lived downtown and commuted, in fact after first year we had even more students move downtown. In terms of getting here, you have access to the UTM shuttle as part of your tuition, which runs from the St George Campus to UTM, the hours can be limited at times but during the regular school year it typically runs every 20 minutes. TTC also connects to MiWay (Mississauga transit system), you could also take the GO train, or drive yourself. Literally thousands, if not tens of thousands, of people make the commute between Toronto and Mississauga every day (generally in the opposite direction, which helps with traffic), so it is far from the end of the world.

MAM is amazing! I actually wanted to switch into MAM but it was too late and I've regretted it ever since so I envy you! It's not a big deal to commute between the two because of the FREE shuttle which is pretty reliable. MAM has excellent teaching and facilities and you will come to see what an awesome experience it will be for you.

MAM is amazing! I actually wanted to switch into MAM but it was too late and I've regretted it ever since so I envy you! It's not a big deal to commute between the two because of the FREE shuttle which is pretty reliable. MAM has excellent teaching and facilities and you will come to see what an awesome experience it will be for you.

Taking that shuttle takes around 40mins right? I think moving to an area close to campus would be more ideal?

I also have 1T9 friends that live downtown and commute to MAM for classes. They say it's completely do-able especially in first year as you have the free shuttle and also have to be downtown for anatomy labs in the fall. Also you can always attend lectures at St. George instead. 

I know it's not exactly the same too, but most of my friends who work in Mississauga also commute everyday from downtown so it's definitely a viable option. Just the gardiner sucks right now with never-ending construction...

Good advice above, one thing I would also suggest is taking a close look at the schedule. Things are changing with the new curriculum and based on what has been conveyed to us it seems as if there is substantially more small group work, which takes place at your home campus and is mandatory. 

Hi everyone,

Thank you

Welcome to the medical life... you realize that people move across the country for med school, residency, a job without a whimper right? 

Welcome to the medical life... you realize that people move across the country for med school, residency, a job without a whimper right? 

If anything, med school is more of a choice often than where you go for residencies

If anything, med school is more of a choice often than where you go for residencies

true - in CARMS you have very little choice often and it is quite a bit longer than medical school in many fields (5 years vs 3 to I guess 3 2/3 years and you have the summers off ha).

A lot of moving in medicine - I think I will by the end have to have moved 5 times.

I think it's important for everyone to recognize that people have more in their lives than medical school. Yes, career is important, but family is also important. While people do move across the country for the chance to pursue medicine, it's never an easy decision and we shouldn't shame people and their partners for dreading the changes and sacrifices they have to make in their lives.

I think it's important for everyone to recognize that people have more in their lives than medical school. Yes, career is important, but family is also important. While people do move across the country for the chance to pursue medicine, it's never an easy decision and we shouldn't shame people and their partners for dreading the changes and sacrifices they have to make in their lives.

Absolutely unacceptable!

We must all comply in propagating the culture of shame and masochism in medicine!!

/s

Yeah I declined my UofT offer to MAM, just didn't see myself enjoying my experience over in Mississauga. I think it's totally reasonable to be disappointed, the lifestyle fit of your program can be just as important towards your success as the curriculum itself. Shaming someone for not falling in line with the back asswards medical culture of the past requiring us to be vessels of medical knowledge to be implemented wherever/however the topdogs see fit or not being cognizant of students who would "omg die to be in your shoes" is unfair.

Thank you! I find it strange that so many people who either are medical students or want to be medical students find it unacceptable that I don't want to commute to school when research suggests that long commutes are linked to negative health outcomes. Is the mental and physical health of medical students not important?

Thank you! I find it strange that so many people who either are medical students or want to be medical students find it unacceptable that I don't want to commute to school when research suggests that long commutes are linked to negative health outcomes. Is the mental and physical health of medical students not important?

LOL

trollss

Yeah I declined my UofT offer to MAM, just didn't see myself enjoying my experience over in Mississauga. I think it's totally reasonable to be disappointed, the lifestyle fit of your program can be just as important towards your success as the curriculum itself. Shaming someone for not falling in line with the back asswards medical culture of the past requiring us to be vessels of medical knowledge to be implemented wherever/however the topdogs see fit or not being cognizant of students who would "omg die to be in your shoes" is unfair.

I don't think it is so much "shaming" because there are others who would die to be in your shoes. I think it is a little bit more about perspective and how hard everyone works to gain acceptance. To turn down an opportunity coveted by so many over a 30-45 minute commute (one which majority of the population does to and from work every day) seems a bit foolish; assuming there are no alternatives.

I agree that it is important to consider that your happiness and comfort is equally as important, but there are still sacrifices required for this life, and this commute should be considered a relatively simple one without need for extrapolation to grander sacrifices. OP is not relocating across the country or giving up a life.... I can see the CN tower on a clear day just down the street from MAM...

I think this is a bit of an exaggeration of the effects of a 30 minute drive (one which presumably you would never have to make with the free shuttle service the school offers every 20 minutes). Yes, the mental and physical health of medical students is important of course, but consider where to pick your battles because things will come up. Studying until 2-3am every night for an exam isn't great for our health either, but nevertheless, sometimes it must be done...

I don't think it is so much "shaming" because there are others who would die to be in your shoes. I think it is a little bit more about perspective and how hard everyone works to gain acceptance. To turn down an opportunity coveted by so many over a 30-45 minute commute (one which majority of the population does to and from work every day) seems a bit foolish; assuming there are no alternatives.

I agree that it is important to consider that your happiness and comfort is equally as important, but there are still sacrifices required for this life, and this commute should be considered a relatively simple one without need for extrapolation to grander sacrifices. OP is not relocating across the country or giving up a life.... I can see the CN tower on a clear day just down the street from MAM...

OP was looking for support from the community regarding a transition that may be difficult. Everyone has worked hard, everyone has different challenges they must overcome. The best thing you can do is validate the person's concerns instead of dismissing them as trivial because they're in a different position as other individuals. Everyone's narrative is important :)

Archived