Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist Support Thread 2016

Congrats to everyone who was accepted!

I saw some other schools had this type of forum, so we might as well have one for Ottawa too!

I am personally on the wait list for the French stream. It's been a roller coaster of a day 

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys!

I got good-waitlisted yesterday. I had a few questions, if anyone can help me out please do!

1. Does anyone know a general % or # of those on the good waitlist who gets in?

2. Do most people on the good waitlist (if they recieved no other offers) start immediately studying to write an MCAT again?

3. Do we know if anyone was ever good waitlisted and didn't get a call? 

4. When does the "Class is Filled" email usually go out?

Sorry for so many questions :)

I'll do my best to answer your questions:

1. I don't know

2. I'm wondering why you would think this (especially considering Ottawa does not look at the mcat. Is yours about to expire?)

3. I don't know

4. Late June/ early July

Hope this answers some of your questions!

I'll do my best to answer your questions:

1. I don't know

2. I'm wondering why you would think this (especially considering Ottawa does not look at the mcat. Is yours about to expire?)

3. I don't know

4. Late June/ early July

Hope this answers some of your questions!

Hi there! Thanks for answering these. In reference to #2- It was my 2nd time applying to Ottawa and I've never written the new MCAT 2015 therefore if I want a chance of getting in next year (if I don't get off the waitlist) I was thinking I'd have to start studying again :(

Read in one of the threads from last cycle that people are speculating about half of the interviewees without an offer get good waitlisted, so that's about 180 applicants. And anywhere from 50-80 offers have gone out, so if true, there is anywhere from a 33-50% chance to get off the WL.

Would anyone be able to post a timestamp for a bad WL email? Trying to find support or disproof of the theory that emails went out in waitlist order (ie: that someone who received a good WL email at 7:58 is ranked higher than someone who received the same email at 7:59).

Would anyone be able to post a timestamp for a bad WL email? Trying to find support or disproof of the theory that emails went out in waitlist order (ie: that someone who received a good WL email at 7:58 is ranked higher than someone who received the same email at 7:59).

I got a good-waitlist at 7:59AM (EST)

I don't think it makes a difference whether you get a good wait list email at 7:58 or 7:59. Chances are they sent them all at once as a merged email (the computer automatically changes the line that say Dear Mr. XYZ so that it says each individual's name, but ultimately sends all the emails in this category at once), and some devices received them faster than others. I imagine they then did the same thing a few minutes later with the bad wait list emails. I think the acceptance ones are more staggered since some of them say slightly different things (e.g. people with scholarship offers, etc). This is just my speculation, don't have definite proof. Also, I got a good wait list email at 7:59 and my last name is in the middle of the alphabet.

I don't think it makes a difference whether you get a good wait list email at 7:58 or 7:59. Chances are they sent them all at once as a merged email (the computer automatically changes the line that say Dear Mr. XYZ so that it says each individual's name, but ultimately sends all the emails in this category at once), and some devices received them faster than others. I imagine they then did the same thing a few minutes later with the bad wait list emails. I think the acceptance ones are more staggered since some of them say slightly different things (e.g. people with scholarship offers, etc). This is just my speculation, don't have definite proof. Also, I got a good wait list email at 7:59 and my last name is in the middle of the alphabet.

Just double checked on my computer, mine was actually 7:58 am (vs. 8:16 on my phone). Guessing differences in the time stamp could just be due to different modes of checking your email?

Just double checked on my computer, mine was actually 7:58 am (vs. 8:16 on my phone). Guessing differences in the time stamp could just be due to different modes of checking your email?

Yes, its definitely possible. I know for me, my phone generally receives emails a few seconds earlier than my computer. 

Hi guys!

I got good-waitlisted yesterday. I had a few questions, if anyone can help me out please do!

1. Does anyone know a general % or # of those on the good waitlist who gets in?

2. Do most people on the good waitlist (if they recieved no other offers) start immediately studying to write an MCAT again?

3. Do we know if anyone was ever good waitlisted and didn't get a call? 

4. When does the "Class is Filled" email usually go out?

Sorry for so many questions :)

1. I would speculate from previous years that about 60-70% get in off the good waitlist. 

3. Yes, not all good waitlisters get offers. 

4. Class is filled email usually gets sent out late July or early-mid August. However, in previous years there have been some people who were accepted the first week of school. 

1. I would speculate from previous years that about 60-70% get in off the good waitlist. 

3. Yes, not all good waitlisters get offers. 

4. Class is filled email usually gets sent out late July or early-mid August. However, in previous years there have been some people who were accepted the first week of school. 

Thank you!

So to weigh in on the timestamp thing- I went through the accepted/waitlisted/rejected thread and saw that in 2014 there were 2 timestamps for Good Waitlist and that on the first day of calls (2 weeks after initial offers) people from BOTH timestamps (9:01AM and 9:02AM) were contacted. I think it would have been impossible to have gone through the first half of the waitlist that first day of calls therefore refuting the theory that an earlier timestamp for good waitlist means you are higher ranked. But maybe they do go through half the good waitlist that first day but I feel like that is somewhat unlikely........ This is just speculation though of course! 

Archived