Premed 101 Forums

I received another rejection letter today. This is my 4th application cycle and I don't think I will try again next year.

I have 2 buddies who took the "risk" and lied on their app. And guess what, the risk is virtually none. They created a dozen fake emails and verified themselves when UBC checked in October: sports teams, volunteering and fake jobs, plus 1000's-hour major activities. Based on their marks, they must've gotten ~40 NAQ. And guess what, they both got in.

I'm sure they are not the only ones who cheated the process, something I refused to participate. Besides feeling angry, I can't believe that they will be the ones treating patients 4 years from now on. I hope UBC would reconsider the integrity of their admission procedures. Because I think it will only hurt our health care system in the long run.

Meanwhile, I guess for those who are applying for the last time: lie your pants off? You got nothing to lose...

I received another rejection letter today. This is my 4th application cycle and I don't think I will try again next year.

I have 2 buddies who took the "risk" and lied on their app. And guess what, the risk is virtually none. They created a dozen fake emails and verified themselves when UBC checked in October: sports teams, volunteering and fake jobs, plus 1000's-hour major activities. Based on their marks, they must've gotten ~40 NAQ. And guess what, they both got in.

I'm sure they are not the only ones who cheated the process, something I refused to participate. Besides feeling angry, I can't believe that they will be the ones treating patients 4 years from now on. I hope UBC would reconsider the integrity of their admission procedures. Because I think it will only hurt our health care system in the long run.

Meanwhile, I guess for those who are applying for the last time: lie your pants off? You got nothing to lose...

damn that's just low...but you know what, this unprofessional behaviour will eventually catch up to them

I am so so sorry to hear that your cycle has gone this way.  Do you have any more schools yet to hear from?  (I am certainly hoping so.)  There is merit in the idea that students should be investigated more thoroughly, but I'm not sure how this would be done..  In the meantime I hope your anger subsides and you can gain enough clarity to follow your passion.  If that passion has deviated from medicine so be it, but if it remains medicine, I hope you apply again and as you have in the past--honestly.

Sorry, but I wanted to add that if I was unable to get a position in medical school I was very strongly considering nursing.  No one wants to say it, but its obvious, if you want a career that gives you hands on time with patients and to make a huge impact in other's lives that can absolutely be done through nursing and other allied health professions.  I recently shadowed several RDs, RNs, OTs, PTs, etc. and this is absolutely a team sport--just because you can't play RW doesn't mean you're done playing hockey.  Just my two cents (actual value: one cent).

Wow... that's pretty messed up

That really effing sucks. I simply don't have many volunteer roles that I dedicated "1000s" of hours to, so it really sucks that I may not get in VS. people who lie about it. So so discouraging.

Wow, did you find a way to tickle everyone's fairness bone. Been here 8 years, done interviews and file reviews for 2 years and never come across something this blatant. Everyone will be telling you to out them, you said yourself what kind of physicians they will make. I won't join the chorus, it is a decision you have to make. The only thing i will add is that you played the game straight and got burned, think of someone just like you who is on the waitlist at UBC right now.

No harm in applying again. I didn't start med until I was 31, the oldest in my class was 45 when they started. Good luck with your decision. 

Hey all. Just wanted to pop in and say to be careful.

Not saying OP isn't telling the truth, but just be a bit wary of people encouraging others to report accepted students.

If accepted students could be this devious, so could wait listed ones.

Hey all. Just wanted to pop in and say to be careful.

Not saying OP isn't telling the truth, but just be a bit wary of people encouraging others to report accepted students.

If accepted students could be this devious, so could wait listed ones.

This is paramount. It sucks but there has to be proof of some kind.

Ya I agree. There are always unfair processes in life in everything we do.

I am so sorry you didn't get in this year and I also feel that pain. I hope you do reapply and that next year brings better news. No system is perfect. That is very disheartening to hear that people would go through that much dishonesty with their applications when so many people do work so hard at building their activities and volunteer experiences. 

I would expect that even if this is reported there wouldn't really be a way to prove it, and decisions have already gone out. 

Ya I agree. There are always unfair processes in life in everything we do.

I am so sorry you didn't get in this year and I also feel that pain. I hope you do reapply and that next year brings better news. No system is perfect. That is very disheartening to hear that people would go through that much dishonesty with their applications when so many people do work so hard at building their activities and volunteer experiences. 

I would expect that even if this is reported there wouldn't really be a way to prove it, and decisions have already gone out. 

I think there would be lots of ways for UBC to investigate.

I'm sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation. Don't give up if you really want to do it. 

As for the 'cheaters' - it really DOES catch up to them, so don't worry. If you get caught early in the application cycle, your likely flagged forever with the school you apply to. If you somehow make it into medical school on lies, and continue lying throughout to CaRMS applications, the consequences can be disastrous.

I personally know of one person who didn't match on first round applications, then re-applied and 'buffed up' their resume for the second round, and still got rejected. Ultimately this person went unmatched after his 4th year. 

The second time around, this person  're-buffed' the resume even further and was caught for lying on their CaRMS application. This was a couple years ago, and last I heard, they are still unmatched. 

If you know for a definitive fact that your "buddies" did such fabrication, you best report them.

Yes, Zabu5, if you know of individuals who falsified their application, I think it would be best to report it to admissions... UBC is really the appropriate party to evaluate/respond to this. Also, transparency with these sorts of issues is what will help keep the application process fair and the profession honest.

Eh.... first time poster, some serious allegations.. I'd be very skeptical in the legitimacy of his claims... nonetheless, these are the advantages of an anonymous forum. I'm fairly confident that there are individuals who stretch their application and.. well.. their 'conservative' estimates may not be so conservative in reality.. but damn. Some people really have no conscience if this is true.

Oh well. I'm also giving the thumbs up to reporting but I realize how this put you in a difficult spot. Carry on....

The thing is, UBC rarely phone verifies, they don't have resources to. All they do is send a link to the email provided, and ask you to click a button if the description is true.

Reporting cheaters may seem like a straightforward solution, in a MMI scenario. But in real life it is a tough decision to make. I will have to think real hard about it.

Thanks for the encouragement, but I will pursue a different path instead.

I would like to echo some of the things other members have said. First of all, while we all deserve a fair file review and evaluation, no system is without fault. The UBC AdCom deals with so many applications every year, there is bound to be imperfections. I do believe they are trying the best they can to be fair, standardize their evaluation and minimize subjectivity. If you are angry at the system, please don't be! You have the power to make a difference (albeit may be small) should you choose to report your "friends". If you choose not to, then it's ultimately something you decided live with. If your anger is primarily on your "friends", why would you let them deal even more damage than they already have? Why let them stop you from pursuing your dream or potentially change your life? Perhaps when the anger dies down, you may think differently.

It sounds to me like you've already gone to the point of getting an interview this year. Anybody will tell you that you are very close to your goal. Stay strong!

I think even if you don't report your friends maybe you can give an anonymous email/phone call and tell them they should look out better for this type of activity. Maybe it'll get them to think about better and more efficient ways to monitor the legitimacy of claims on applications in the future. 

I personally don't think this should stop you from applying to medicine. If you want to be a doctor, than you want to be a doctor whether people cheat  the system or not. It is so crappy that this happened and it is extremely bad professionalism. It will be up to you whether you want to report to UBC anonymously or not. 

But I am sure these types of things happen in every area besides medicine. I wouldn't let that stop you from fulfilling your dream if it still is your dream. It is natural to have points during the pre-med route when you examine and maybe doubt how badly you want this and why. It is a long gruelling process and it can be extremely frustrating after putting in so much effort and not getting accepted. It's normal to examine why you want something and if you do still want it!

But make sure you are stepping away because you really don't want to be a doctor anymore and not because a couple of people you know lied on their application.  I would take some time to take a break. The application does not open for a month and you have time before it is due. 

Whenever I have had doubts about this long gruelling process in the past, I have always thought back to what drew me to medicine first. I have even at points taken a few days to shadow a doctor and see how I felt at the end. I was always reminded of why I wanted this and what I have been working towards. 

On the other hand, it is totally ok at any point to decide you don't want to pursue medicine anymore if your heart isn't in it anymore. There is no shame in that. 

I wish you luck in whatever you decide. 

Archived