Premed 101 Forums

Dmd To Md?

Hi, 

If I were to accept an offer from dental school, are there medical schools who still accept applications from that program? I still want to become an MD but I got rejected, so I was wondering if I'm completely ruining my chances to get into a medical school by accepting this offer.

Thanks for your help!

You mean go to medical school, finish dental school, and apply to medicine again after?

Or apply during dental and quit halfway if you get accepted into med?

Are those the only two options you have?

You mean go to medical school, finish dental school, and apply to medicine again after?

Or apply during dental and quit halfway if you get accepted into med?

Are those the only two options you have?

No, I mean starting dental school and applying to med school if I can.

The other option I have is continuing my Bachelor degree and master's but in regards to my future,  it's a way safer route to go to dental school...I don't want to decline this dental school offer and regret it for the rest of my life.

Would you be happy still going to dental school? If so, then go. 

But if you feel that you won't be happy, until you get into med school, then dont go. But know that throwing away a sure offer to dental school, for a med school offer that may never come....and worse, that may not even make you any happier, is a big risk.

The other option I have is continuing my Bachelor degree and master's but in regards to my future,  it's a way safer route to go to dental school...I don't want to decline this dental school offer and regret it for the rest of my life.

Were you a 3yr year applicant to med school? 

If so, you would likely have much better chances with your med school apps next year. Are you able to defer then dental offer for a year? How much of a concern would the added financial strain be to you? 

And most importantly, if you never got into medicine, would you rather be a dentist or something else? If you want to be a dentist, then there's nothing wrong with starting that and re-applying to medicine!

If you choose to start dental school, I think it's considered a second undergraduate degree and you can't apply to medical school until your 4th year of dentistry. It'll probably be really tough to get competitive marks in dentistry (3.90+ GPA) in order to apply to med.

Were you a 3yr year applicant to med school? 

If so, you would likely have much better chances with your med school apps next year. Are you able to defer then dental offer for a year? How much of a concern would the added financial strain be to you? 

And most importantly, if you never got into medicine, would you rather be a dentist or something else? If you want to be a dentist, then there's nothing wrong with starting that and re-applying to medicine!

Yes I am a 3d year applicant and no I can't defer the dental offer but finances aren't really a problem.

In regard to your last question, I would much rather be a dentist than anything else. 

If you choose to start dental school, I think it's considered a second undergraduate degree and you can't apply to medical school until your 4th year of dentistry. It'll probably be really tough to get competitive marks in dentistry (3.90+ GPA) in order to apply to med.

Do they not consider how hard the program is? 

Yes I am a 3d year applicant and no I can't defer the dental offer but finances aren't really a problem.

In regard to your last question, I would much rather be a dentist than anything else. 

Then if I were you, I'd take the dental offer and re-apply to med next year!

So you're going to waste $50,000 and steal someone else's dream of going to dental school? 

Then you expect to go help other people as a doctor? I hope you understand where I'm going with this.

If you're competitive, take the year off and travel/explore/take a break. Literally, you'll never get this chance again in your life if you go into medicine. I've been in your position and instead of being a wasting my time in a program I had no interest in, I took a year off and became more competitive using that free year. I would never have gotten into the schools I've gotten in today had I done what you plan to do.

Good luck and I hope that helps.

So you're going to waste $50,000 and steal someone else's dream of going to dental school? 

Then you expect to go help other people as a doctor? I hope you understand where I'm going with this.

If you're competitive, take the year off and travel/explore/take a break. Literally, you'll never get this chance again in your life if you go into medicine. I've been in your position and instead of being a wasting my time in a program I had no interest in, I took a year off and became more competitive using that free year. I would never have gotten into the schools I've gotten in today had I done what you plan to do.

I understand where you're going with this but medicine has always been what I wanted to pursue. I applied to dentistry just because it was something that I was ok with doing if medicine didn't work out. I just feel like if I had the chance to apply to medicine again I would't turn it down, you know? 

A bit of a dramatization, no?  And as the person who appears to have been fully prepared to do the same, in addition to 'scamming' the systems meant to increase medical/dental care in provinces which and problems with profession retention already......seems a bit of an overstep on your part. 

To each their own. But this isn't the place to guilt people over their choices.

I understand where you're going with this but medicine has always been what I wanted to pursue. I applied to dentistry just because it was something that I was ok with doing if medicine didn't work out. I just feel like if I had the chance to apply to medicine again I would't turn it down, you know? 

shoudnt you apply to dentistry after 3rd year, isntead of after 2nd. How do you know you won't get in medicine the second time you apply. 

you have such low self-esteem 

You have your answer right there. Do not start dental school thinking that it's your back up. Do it because you have done your research and in your heart you know this is what you want.

If in your soul searching, medicine is truly what you want, then your question should be how should you improve your med school application.

OP, I thought your original question was whether you can apply to medicine while you are in dental school. You need to be the last year of a program to apply. Ie you will either wait until 4th year, or quit, which defeats your "back up" purpose.

You have your answer right there. Do not start dental school thinking that it's your back up. Do it because you have done your research and in your heart you know this is what you want.

If in your soul searching, medicine is truly what you want, then your question should be how should you improve your med school application.

OP, I thought your original question was whether you can apply to medicine while you are in dental school. You need to be the last year of a program to apply. Ie you will either wait until 4th year, or quit, which defeats your "back up" purpose.

I realized at school today how stupid my thinking was last night.....getting into dental school is hard and I'm probably not gonna let go of this opportunity... There are so many doors that open once you're in dentistry and it's so much more of a business than medicine which I really enjoy now that I think about it. 

I'm pretty sure you don't. Most schools (at least Western schools) just require 90 post-secondary credits. 

I'm pretty sure you don't. Most schools (at least Western schools) just require 90 post-secondary credits. 

Yes I stand corrected. Its the Masters/PhD program for which you have to be in your last year. Dental school is considered an undergraduate degree I believe.

Do they not consider how hard the program is? 

After checking the policy again, I think I'm wrong and it's only UWO that requires you to be in the final year of the second degree. I'm still unsure about the other Ontario schools, so let me know if you end up finding out more info!

I realized at school today how stupid my thinking was last night.....getting into dental school is hard and I'm probably not gonna let go of this opportunity... There are so many doors that open once you're in dentistry and it's so much more of a business than medicine which I really enjoy now that I think about it. 

That's great. I'm very happy for you. 

Be sure to shadow a dentist so you know what you're getting yourself into.

Archived