Premed 101 Forums

Residencies That Offer H1B

Is there a list of residency programs that offer H1B to Canadian students who are doing med school in USA? I am particularly interested in IM. 

Currently a first year in Michigan, and I really do not want to be on the J-1 Visa.

Any suggestion / advice is appreciated. 

Is there a list of residency programs that offer H1B to Canadian students who are doing med school in USA? I am particularly interested in IM. 

Currently a first year in Michigan, and I really do not want to be on the J-1 Visa.

Any suggestion / advice is appreciated. 

Talk to COMSA reps, they are working on stuff like that. I believe theres one for FM in the works, likely IM too.

Only slashev is active here, and hes probably busy. Facebook group would yield you better results.

There is no list. There are hundreds of programs, especially for IM. Your best bet is to look at each programs individually. The closest thing I have seen is that AAFP has a FM residency database, where you can set a criteria for H1B visa only. But otherwise you are on your own. Also, some programs will change their policy. Some that used to offer H1B no longer does.

There is no list. There are hundreds of programs, especially for IM. Your best bet is to look at each programs individually. The closest thing I have seen is that AAFP has a FM residency database, where you can set a criteria for H1B visa only. But otherwise you are on your own. Also, some programs will change their policy. Some that used to offer H1B no longer does.

ALSO:

Some programs will state no h1b or even no j1, because 90% of the time the people requiring visas are IMGs(carrib etc). BUT once you contact them and tell them you are an international AMG(American med graduate) they make an exception.

You have to remember the majority of j1 and h1b visas being provided by programs are going to IMGs and FMGs. So the policies schools have are based on that target audience in mind.  The relative proportion of international USMD/USDOs of the overall pool of people getting visas, is actually small.

Schools naturally will be much more lenient towards AMGs, as they know they have F1-OPTI, and well, are AMGs and less of a "risk".

ALSO:

Some programs will state no h1b or even no j1, because 90% of the time the people requiring visas are IMGs(carrib etc). BUT once you contact them and tell them you are an international AMG(American med graduate) they make an exception.

You have to remember the majority of j1 and h1b visas being provided by programs are going to IMGs and FMGs. So the policies schools have are based on that target audience in mind.  The relative proportion of international USMD/USDOs of the overall pool of people getting visas, is actually small.

Schools naturally will be much more lenient towards AMGs, as they know they have F1-OPTI, and well, are AMGs and less of a "risk".

Guess I figured out what to do for summer than. Let the cold-mailing begin. 

Archived