Premed 101 Forums

Hi,

I've had a physical disability with my feet from a congenital birth defect and subsequent surgeries that causes me pain on almost a daily basis. I don't feel it's enough to get officially classed as being disabled but does hinder my ability to do certain things, jobs, sports, etc.

I'm wondering if anyone knows how marking yourself as disabled affects your application... I typically don't on these kind of things because I still function more less the same as others and have a good job, full-life, etc. I've had some friends encourage me to pursue obtaining disability status for the benefits of it, but I feel there's others in need of those funds (and some say I'm too proud to admit/pursue the status as well... i won't disagree! Haha).

Anyways...2 questions.

1. What are thoughts on how I could class this experience as part of my NAQ? (I was thinking that I pursued sports even though there were days I couldn't walk after because of my passion for it and shows determination, as well as the daily struggles with it.)

2. Does anyone know how marking disability on the application affects it? At the risk of seeming shallow, will it affect my chances or is it simply a metric they evaluate after the fact? Is there documentation required?

Thanks for your input.

Do it if you feel it applies to you. Nothing wrong with claiming status if applicable. Put any false "pride" aside. Also,by having it documented, it can also give them a heads up in advance for planning accommodations if any. Should you be or when accepted, contact access and diversity well in advance to touch base.

Hi acrowston,

I didn't disclose that I had a disability per se, but under the "High Performance in Human Endeavour" I included a national scholarship I won that was awarded to students living with Crohn's Disease (CD) or Ulcerative Colitis (UC)... thus 'disclosing'.. kind of lol... I also always make sure to contact disability services whenever I am attending University.. It's good to have someone in your corner should you ever need it. I've been in remission for a couple of years now and my daily life is not impacted by my CD in any way, however, if it were to flare, it's much faster to get the help you need if you already have your safety net lined up.

If you think that having your birth defect has impacted you in such a way that it has changed your life/taught you some valuable lesson/made you a stronger, better, more empathetic person then I say go ahead and disclose it. I have no idea how the admissions committee looks at such things..... but in my personal opinion, we need our medical doctors to more accurately reflect the population that we are serving.. and there is no better way to meet that need than through real life experience.. which it seems like you have plenty of :) I know a girl in UBC midwifery with ankylosing spondylitis, a girl in UBC med with CD, and another girl in UBC med with Addison's Disease... Having to overcome barriers makes you a stronger person and can make you a better physician... granted that it doesn't effect your fitness to practice :)

Hope that helps and good luck!

Archived