Premed 101 Forums

Pros And Cons Of Getting A Cat In Medical School

Coffeesleep

Hey. Random question. Have you ever considered or do you have a cat in medical school? What are some pros/cons? I wanted to get a cat but then my cat will be outliving my clerkships/residencies so would it be cruel to have a cat during those times? Even in first and second years, I mean I think I could do it but do you guys see any possible obstacles there as well? Please let me know. And I'm assuming I am living alone, no SO to stay home and take care of the cat. Thanks!

Cats sleep almost 18 hours a day. They are a rather ideal pet for those who work longer hours. As long as you aren't taking off for days at a time, you adopt a reasonably independent cat (or pair of cats who can amuse each other) and you can invest some quality time in playing/spending time with your cat during the hours you are home there is no reason you couldn't have a very happy kitty.

I work long hours and my cats are fine with it. The days when I have stayed home I've basically watched them sleep for almost the entire time I would be at work. If anything they were annoyed that I was taking up the prime real estate on the couch instead of out earning money for more cat treats  :)

There is another option if you aren't sure about your schedule - many animal rescues offer foster programs that allow you to take in a cat and care for it until it finds a new home. Depending on the organization foster cats can stay anywhere from a few weeks to a few months to over a year. But if your schedule changes or you find you cannot devote enough time to the cat you can let the rescue know and they will find a new foster placement for the kitty. An added benefit is that most rescues will also cover the cost of food and vet care for the foster cat.

Totally fine. :) If/when you go away for longer periods of time, just hire a cat sitter (plenty of services for that) or board it or have a friend take care of the cat for a bit. We've watched cats for friends plenty of times.

They're lovely companionship.

Not sure where you're from but in Alberta I think you can be evicted if you have a pet without your landlords permission. Means finding a place is a lot more difficult, and you'll be saddled with additional fees depending on where you go.

(When I did my UG in Kingston, apparently it's against a law to evict a tenant for having a pet, so even if you're landlord says you're not allowed to have a pet, they can't do much about it as long as they don't cause damage...)

I'm not super familiar with all the different laws, but keep in mind it's different from place to place and it can affect what your housing options are and will impact you when moving. 

Other cons include increased cost of living - you'll have to pay vet bills, food, litter, toys, etc. If your cat causes any damage in the apartment you're in that's more money...

Not sure where you're from but in Alberta I think you can be evicted if you have a pet without your landlords permission. Means finding a place is a lot more difficult, and you'll be saddled with additional fees depending on where you go.

(When I did my UG in Kingston, apparently it's against a law to evict a tenant for having a pet, so even if you're landlord says you're not allowed to have a pet, they can't do much about it as long as they don't cause damage...)

I'm not super familiar with all the different laws, but keep in mind it's different from place to place and it can affect what your housing options are and will impact you when moving. 

Other cons include increased cost of living - you'll have to pay vet bills, food, litter, toys, etc. If your cat causes any damage in the apartment you're in that's more money...

Yah, it's a bit more difficult, but it's not a big deal at all.  If one wants a pet, I definitely wouldn't let this discourage them.  And the increased cost of living is super low.  All good things to think about, but not hard to overcome. 

Totally fine. :) If/when you go away for longer periods of time, just hire a cat sitter (plenty of services for that) or board it or have a friend take care of the cat for a bit. We've watched cats for friends plenty of times.

They're lovely companionship.

how do you change the words on top of your bird avatar?????????????

- G

Yah, it's a bit more difficult, but it's not a big deal at all.  If one wants a pet, I definitely wouldn't let this discourage them.  And the increased cost of living is super low.  All good things to think about, but not hard to overcome. 

Definitely. It's whatever floats your boat, and it's different for everyone. Definitely something to consider! I had a pet during my undergrad (and still do), and it can get pricey moving around. (Ie. the cost to get your pet on your flight, making sure if they can't get on your flight that someone is on the other end to pick them up... Getting airline approved travel containers... Vet papers to show good health... A new cage and supplies at your destination depending on how far away it is, etc.)

There are definitely a lot of costs that you don't really consider, but as long as you're willing to spend the time you do have with your animal and you're ensuring it gets the care it needs then all the power to you.  :) 

I'd definitely recommend a foster program first to find a good match and make sure that it suits your lifestyle (ie. You should be able to be at home enough to fill water and food dishes an appropriate amount, etc. But definitely more flexible than having to go home to make sure you "walk" your pet!)

- G

Click on your name in the upper right, go to 'my profile.' Click the 'edit my profile' button on that page (upper left.) Should have an option for member title.

I'd chime in to say, that it really depends on your city. In Vancouver, it is exceedingly difficult to get a place that is pet friendly, in an already tight market for rental for those without pets as it is. 

Again city to city variation, that one should look into first :)

- G

Click on your name in the upper right, go to 'my profile.' Click the 'edit my profile' button on that page (upper left.) Should have an option for member title.

Here is a relevant thread: "How can I get a cool member title". I don't think it works for everyone though.

I'd chime in to say, that it really depends on your city. In Vancouver, it is exceedingly difficult to get a place that is pet friendly, in an already tight market for rental for those without pets as it is.

Again city to city variation, that one should look into first :)

While that's true, (it was pretty true in Calgary for me) if it's just a non-negotiable thing for you, you'll manage. It definitely may result in spending more for a less nice place, but I knew I wasn't moving to a new city unless I was able to get a pet, so those were the choices I made. And I don't regret it.

I've rented eight different places in my life and have never been unable to find a place that allows pets. We have quite the menagerie (mammals and birds) and won't consider a place with a pet-hostile landlord. Minor inconvenience, but our pets are worth it.

I've always had a cat in medical school, for a while I had two cats.  They're fine by themselves, I just leave out extra food and water if I'm going to be on call.  Mine gets a little whiny if I'm doing really heavy call for a while, but she manages.  Especially if you don't have an SO/plan on living alone, residency can be lonely and it's nice to have some company/a post call sleeping buddy.

At least in Toronto, it does make it a bit harder to find a place.  They can't technically evict you for having a pet, since no-pets clauses are void unless it's a condo or they can demonstrate that your pet is causing them some kind of major hardship, but I didn't want to get off on a bad foot with a new landlord by breaking a rule right off the bat.

I did find that many places that said "no pets" were reasonable if I described that it was a small cat and provided references.

Archived