Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PTplease

Upgrading Gpa For Next Year

Hi everyone,

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted! Like many people on this forum I'm sure, I didn't get in this year and am planning to re-apply next year to PT schools. The biggest problem for me is my sub-GPA, and have seen several posts on this forum about upgrading their GPA through Athabasca online courses or taking a 5th year. My sub-GPA is a 3.67 and is like this term by term: (5 half-credits per term)

3rd year, 1st sem: 3.36 (due to a "C" in one course)

3rd year, 2nd sem: 3.86

4th year, 1st sem: 3.74

4th year, 2nd sem: 3.70

So currently my sub-GPA is a 3.67, and i would like to increase it to at least a 3.75 for next year I'm thinking (currently good enough for Queen's and Mcgill PT probably, but would like to get it to the Western PT cut-off for next year too).

I'm just a bit confused on how people have upgraded their GPA so significantly through these courses. For instance, if I took 5 additional courses this summer/fall, would it take out my bad 3rd year, 1st semester GPA (or would it simply do the average calculation of all of 3rd year, similar to what they did this year for second year)? Is there any way to replace that "C" grade? Or is there anything else that people recommend to increase my sub-GPA to what it needs to be?

Thank you in advance!

Hi everyone,

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted! Like many people on this forum I'm sure, I didn't get in this year and am planning to re-apply next year to PT schools. The biggest problem for me is my sub-GPA, and have seen several posts on this forum about upgrading their GPA through Athabasca online courses or taking a 5th year. My sub-GPA is a 3.67 and is like this term by term: (5 half-credits per term)

3rd year, 1st sem: 3.36 (due to a "C" in one course)

3rd year, 2nd sem: 3.86

4th year, 1st sem: 3.74

4th year, 2nd sem: 3.70

So currently my sub-GPA is a 3.67, and i would like to increase it to at least a 3.75 for next year I'm thinking (currently good enough for Queen's and Mcgill PT probably, but would like to get it to the Western PT cut-off for next year too).

I'm just a bit confused on how people have upgraded their GPA so significantly through these courses. For instance, if I took 5 additional courses this summer/fall, would it take out my bad 3rd year, 1st semester GPA (or would it simply do the average calculation of all of 3rd year, similar to what they did this year for second year)? Is there any way to replace that "C" grade? Or is there anything else that people recommend to increase my sub-GPA to what it needs to be?

Thank you in advance!

Hi PTplease,

Personally, I upgraded my sGPA through a 5th year before even considering applying. My undergrad started off really rough, as you'll see through my GPA:

Year 1 – 2.59

Year 2 – 3.03

Year 3 – 3.66

Year 4 – 3.89

Year 5 – 3.90.

Taking a 5th year DRASTICALLY increased my chances of being accepted to PT, if you're serious about it. You need to get straight A's in whatever courses you take from now on to even stand a chance. Remember that Queens looks at applicants with amazing experiences, so unless you have that I doubt you'll even get waitlisted (we've seen people with 3.95's get waitlisted due to lack of experiences this year). I've heard the UWO cutoff was 3.75 this year, which is quite different than previous years since I'm guessing they're starting to look at applicants more holistically (could possibly play to your advantage if you have a solid essay and experiences!). 

Personally, I'm on the UWO high-waitlist, so I hope I can clinch a spot! 

Best of luck! 

Hey, for ORPAS they will be counting your recent 20 courses, as someone already mentioned. Except Queen's, which looks at CGPA. If you take a 5th year of 5 half credit courses then it would remove your 3rd year's 1st term but keep in mind that ORPAS will use yearly average to calculate your 2nd term grade from year 3. So, your term 2 gpa for the 3rd year would be calculated at a 3.61 gpa.

Hey, for ORPAS they will be counting your recent 20 courses, as someone already mentioned. Except Queen's, which looks at CGPA. If you take a 5th year of 5 half credit courses then it would remove your 3rd year's 1st term but keep in mind that ORPAS will use yearly average to calculate your 2nd term grade from year 3. So, your term 2 gpa for the 3rd year would be calculated at a 3.61 gpa.

Great point, totally forgot they calculate it by year and not by term. 

Hi PT2018Hopeful and OThopeful18,

Thanks for the help. I thought they calculated it like that, but wasn't 100% sure. I'll look at my different options for this.

I have a decent cGPA (3.43), so I think it will be good enough for Queen's and potentially McGill for next year. I think I have decent experiences too, but will obviously try to boost these for next year's applications. I will also look into upgrading my GPA so I'll be able to hit the cut-offs for other schools (but I feel like I would have to take several courses to do so, which may be a good idea in the long run).

If anyone else has any input, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again!

On 6/2/2016 at 12:26 PM, PT2018Hopeful said:

Hi PTplease,

Personally, I upgraded my sGPA through a 5th year before even considering applying. My undergrad started off really rough, as you'll see through my GPA:

Year 1 – 2.59

Year 2 – 3.03

Year 3 – 3.66

Year 4 – 3.89

Year 5 – 3.90.

Taking a 5th year DRASTICALLY increased my chances of being accepted to PT, if you're serious about it. You need to get straight A's in whatever courses you take from now on to even stand a chance. Remember that Queens looks at applicants with amazing experiences, so unless you have that I doubt you'll even get waitlisted (we've seen people with 3.95's get waitlisted due to lack of experiences this year). I've heard the UWO cutoff was 3.75 this year, which is quite different than previous years since I'm guessing they're starting to look at applicants more holistically (could possibly play to your advantage if you have a solid essay and experiences!). 

Personally, I'm on the UWO high-waitlist, so I hope I can clinch a spot! 

Best of luck! 

Hey! 

Im just about to be taking my 5th year to upgrade my marks. Couple of questions if you dont mind answering them. Did you take summer school classes to upgrade your GPA? And are Summer school classes are still accepted towards your last 10/20 courses? 

Im struggling to decide to take summer school to either take one course off my first semester work, and whether I would do the entire year or just one semester?

Any advice is appreciated :)