Premed 101 Forums

Knowing One Of Your Interviewers

It is absolutely fine to email the admin office and tell them about the station. At least in my school the interviewer is supposed to let ume admissions office know that you knew one of the interviewee and get a replacement interviewer but if he has not done that you are allowed to let the admissions know about the station right after the interview through email or directly. You dont have to disclose what kind of relationship it was- just that you knew each other

On June 2, 2016 at 8:17 PM, hopeful_med said:

It is absolutely fine to email the admin office and tell them about the station. At least in my school the interviewer is supposed to let ume admissions office know that you knew one of the interviewee and get a replacement interviewer but if he has not done that you are allowed to let the admissions know about the station right after the interview through email or directly. You dont have to disclose what kind of relationship it was- just that you knew each other

I am already aware of that, both times I filled out the form for "conflict of interest" saying I knew one of the interviewer.

The first year I was surprised to see him since I had no idea he would be interviewing, but this year I thought since I filled the form last year that I would not get him again, but sure enough, he was there when I opened the door.

I am wondering about asking the school BEFORE the interview this year (I know, still far away) to see if they take caution and not sign me up in the track he is intervewing

Like I said, the first year I don't think he knew who I was, so he wouldn't have been able to remove himself, but this year it seemed he knew me...I just don't want it to happen again

Although I can't blame not getting accepting due to the one uncomfortable station, it does through me a bit off for the next stations

I don't think the school will accommodate for that. If they give you that advantage, then they can grant it for everyone. This can complicate a lot of things if people have requests not to see specific people. You can always try.

If you see the person again, fill out the conflict on interest form again. I think they'll accommodate for it. Good luck!

Maybe they will! I haven't had that problem before, so I should've prefaced my previous post.

And yes, you're right, they should remove themselves from the track! So that is quite strange that you would see them again. When you reason it like that, it makes more sense :). It doesn't hurt to ask.

Good luck, friend!

• 9 months later...

Would this change if it were a panel interviewer? Say if I walk into the interview room and right away recognize an interviewer (but maybe they don't recognize me) should I say something right then and there before the questions start, rather than letting the school know after?

Archived