Premed 101 Forums

2016 Spring Mccqe1 Result Available

Where can you find what your numeric score converts to on a percentile rank.  thanks.

next week- when the actual breakdown comes out

as a general rule the median or mean or whatever you want to call the average is 500 with a standard deviation of 100... so if you scored 500 you should be 50th % if you scored 600 you'd be 85% and so on- at least, that's my take on it.

as a general rule the median or mean or whatever you want to call the average is 500 with a standard deviation of 100... so if you scored 500 you should be 50th % if you scored 600 you'd be 85% and so on- at least, that's my take on it.

I don't know if this is accurate... The distribution is probably not normal.

The passing score is 427. If one standard deviation really represented 34% of writers, then over 15.8% of people would fail.

Last year the fail rate was much less than that... so I think the distribution is not normal..

I hate to be the "stats nazi", but it gives me a warm feeling to use math once in a while!

P.S. So happy to have passed. Felt like I failed after the exam.

I don't know if this is accurate... The distribution is probably not normal.

The passing score is 427. If one standard deviation really represented 34% of writers, then over 15.8% of people would fail.

Last year the fail rate was much less than that... so I think the distribution is not normal..

I hate to be the "stats nazi", but it gives me a warm feeling to use math once in a while!

P.S. So happy to have passed. Felt like I failed after the exam.

sorry... but i'm pretty sure i'm right... at least based on the LMCC website.

here is a quote directly from them:

Using the spring 2015 results of all MCCQE Part I candidates, the new 50 to 950 scale was established to have a mean of 500 and a standard deviation of 100. Results from the spring 2015 and subsequent exam sessions will be reported using  this new scale allowing us to compare candidate performance across sessions beginning with the spring 2015 session. For example, if a candidate’s score is 600, his or her ability level is one standing deviation above that of the reference group mean. On this new scale, the pass score that was recommended from the standing setting panel and approved by the CEC is 427. This pass score will remain in place until the next scheduled standard setting exercise in 2018.

summary: mean is 500, standard deviation of 100

glad you passed, glad i passed, glad i wasn't one of the 4% of canadian grads to not pass and thankful that i wasn't an IMG that had to take this test. overall though, this test is a waste of time. i also walked out feeling like i had bombed, but that's the whole point of the "optimization" as you are supposed to feel like you got every second question wrong overall...

15.8% of CMGs dont fail. The failure rate includes IMGs as well which have a proportionally higher rate of failure.

When they changed the marking scheme and the pass rates some Canadian schools had failure rates of as high as 9%, which is unfortunate but I suspect will decrease this year as previously there was an attitude of the test being a joke. Much more stress in test writers this year i thought. 

sorry... but i'm pretty sure i'm right... at least based on the LMCC website.

here is a quote directly from them:

Using the spring 2015 results of all MCCQE Part I candidates, the new 50 to 950 scale was established to have a mean of 500 and a standard deviation of 100. Results from the spring 2015 and subsequent exam sessions will be reported using  this new scale allowing us to compare candidate performance across sessions beginning with the spring 2015 session. For example, if a candidate’s score is 600, his or her ability level is one standing deviation above that of the reference group mean. On this new scale, the pass score that was recommended from the standing setting panel and approved by the CEC is 427. This pass score will remain in place until the next scheduled standard setting exercise in 2018.

summary: mean is 500, standard deviation of 100

glad you passed, glad i passed, glad i wasn't one of the 4% of canadian grads to not pass and thankful that i wasn't an IMG that had to take this test. overall though, this test is a waste of time. i also walked out feeling like i had bombed, but that's the whole point of the "optimization" as you are supposed to feel like you got every second question wrong overall...

The good news is that I think everyone is wrong :D

All kidding aside, I think that a bell curve is in play however these numbers, and resultant percentiles, probably include IMG candidates.  Given that a score of 427 is well within one SD of the mean of 500, this would otherwise mean a double digit failure rate for CMGs.  As I understand the situation this has not been the case with the new grading scheme.  

Neither case is ideal. Either the grading curve has a SIGNIFICANT skew, or the percentile breakdown includes CMG and IMG candidates in one pool. Either way it provides an essentially meaningless result. 

The good news is that I think everyone is wrong :D

All kidding aside, I think that a bell curve is in play however these numbers, and resultant percentiles, probably include IMG candidates. Given that a score of 427 is well within one SD of the mean of 500, this would otherwise mean a double digit failure rate for CMGs. As I understand the situation this has not been the case with the new grading scheme.

Neither case is ideal. Either the grading curve has a SIGNIFICANT skew, or the percentile breakdown includes CMG and IMG candidates in one pool. Either way it provides an essentially meaningless result.

It's pretty widely stayed that the stats include all test takers, IMG and CMG alike.

Approximately 4-5% of CMG's failed in 2015. Prior years it was around 2%.

The LMCC website has the stats available for who passes and who fails.

The LMCC website also clearly states that the mean is 500. The pass score is 427. And the standard deviation is 100.

• 2 weeks later...

Approximately 4-5% of CMG's failed in 2015. Prior years it was around 2%.

The LMCC website has the stats available for who passes and who fails.

The LMCC website also clearly states that the mean is 500. The pass score is 427. And the standard deviation is 100.

Something doesn't add up there. If SD is 100, and pass is 427, than ~20% failed.

(Edited percentile, forgot "failing" = 1 tailed)

Aside - I am curious to know what the breakdown of MCCQE results per school is, if this is known.  I wonder if different educational paradigms lead to better or just different outcomes.  

Something doesn't add up there. If SD is 100, and pass is 427, than ~40% failed.

As was noted above, the distribution may not be normal.  

Something doesn't add up there. If SD is 100, and pass is 427, than ~40% failed.

If the standard deviation is 100 and the mean is 500 that means that one standard deviation below the mean of 500 is 400.

And if it's a normal distribution then anything below 400 would represent the bottom 16% of test takers.

From 400-427 I'd guesstimate another 5% of people?

But again, the lmcc website http://mcc.ca/examinations/mccqe-part-i/scoring/ describes this in as much detail as I am aware...

Regardless, if we suggest that the test scores are normally distributed after they scale the results then approximately 20-25% of test takers (cmgs and imgs) would fail.

Based on last years test takers approximately 4% of cmgs failed.

Is it hard to believe that a large proportion of IMGs also suffered the same fate?

Aside - I am curious to know what the breakdown of MCCQE results per school is, if this is known. I wonder if different educational paradigms lead to better or just different outcomes.

As was noted above, the distribution may not be normal.

http://mcc.ca/about/publications-deans-reports/deans-reports/qei-deans-report/

Apparently there is a deans report available that discusses a school results... Comes out in October.

And if every school gets one then one could compare.

But really. This test is a waste of money. A waste of time. And shouldn't even be done.

It doesn't matter how you did. Good or bad.

Taken from the annual 2014 report. This is before they increased the mark required to pass.

63TsCw0.png

Thanks for posting this. I remembered seeing this document but couldn't remember where.

Pretty much sums it up. 74% pass rate overall sits nicely with the guess I made earlier of a 20-25% fail rate.

• 1 year later...

Archived