Premed 101 Forums

Working During First Year?

This is a question for upper year students - I'm considering working during the school year to help finance med school, but since I'm unfamiliar with the workload of Queens Med, I thought I'd see if anyone has (or knows someone who has) worked during first year? Was it manageable? 

Any insight would be greatly appreciated :)

Worked during my first year (about 20 hrs/week). It's doable, particularly if you've already been working through a busy course load. That said, I would probably recommend against it unless (1) you really need the money and/or you'll feel really guilty spending your LOC, (2) you really love the job and it'd be a bit of an escape for you, (3) the job is in some sort of area within medicine that you plan to pursue (i.e. research etc). Otherwise you may find you end up compromising your education or your work-life balance for something that, in the end, is a drop in the bucket in terms of the debt you'll accrue.

• 6 months later...

simpy is totally on the money. Your time is far more precious than money, given the LOC and government funding. I'm from Quebec. I received a bursary every year, but had I worked during the academic year or during the summer, I would have been working for nothing as what the govt gave me would have been reduced by my earning. It would have been zero sum gain AND in any event, my time was far more precious than $$. I have lived on student debt forever but to earn extra funds and to theoretically pay off a little, isn't worth it for the reasons mentioned.

Archived