Premed 101 Forums

If I Enjoyed High School, Will I Like Med School?

Hey all,

So I may be of the small minority that really liked the social dynamic of high school. The small community you build, seeing all your peers together at the same time and place frequently, getting to know a large chunk of your class and the instructors, etc. 

I've often heard how medical school is similar to high school and so I was just curious if the social dynamic is enjoyable for those that enjoyed highschool.

Yes, I believe that you will like medical school for several reasons.  It usually is a small group of people that are very tight and close because you have to do rotations and skill building classes as well.  I went to nursing school myself and it was a small group of people and I got to know them really well.  We all worked together in groups and did what we could together.  We learned about the human body and then worked together and did lab work.  I really enjoyed doing lab work because it brought out the human anatomy and physiology class to life and also the nursing classes as well.  I know that you will like medical school for the group work atmosphere, the intelligence of you and others solving problems, and the learning and talking atmosphere when working in groups.  I wish you the best.  Purplespider, CNA

It was like elementary school, we were a very small class, there was camaraderie amongst us all. And with PBL, we were often in tiny groups. We dressed liked kids, looked like kids and had fun while learning, i.e., a class spirit, making lifelong friendships. 

I hope it's like pre-school. It starts with play time, then snack time. Followed by circle time. Then outdoor play for an hour or so. By then it's lunch time, and then nap time. Followed by more circle time, snacks, and outdoor play.

I imagine PBL is something like circle time. And I hope there's "outdoor play" somewhere in there!

We do it right with kids, so go with what works!

I hope it's like pre-school. It starts with play time, then snack time. Followed by circle time. Then outdoor play for an hour or so. By then it's lunch time, and then nap time. Followed by more circle time, snacks, and outdoor play.

I imagine PBL is something like circle time. And I hope there's "outdoor play" somewhere in there!

We do it right with kids, so go with what works!

Nap time in medical school would be the greatest thing ever.

You probably would like preclerkship - that is similar in many ways :)

The flip side though is you may have issues with clerkship itself at least initially - there is a big change between the two. Clerkship is a lot more individual and you may not be working or even see your classmates all that much.

• 5 weeks later...

Yes, you would enjoy medical school if you liked high school for the following reasons.  Medical school has lots and lots of classes to choose from just like high school did along with elective classes which can be fun.  Medical school has lots and lots of medical hands on classes and so does high school.  In fact, some of the high schools have medical training classes that do take place in the high school and outside of the school at another facility or school.  Good luck in medical school.  You will like it and do well there.  

• 1 month later...

I believe that you would enjoy medical school if you enjoy high school for these reasons:

1.  Medical school has lots of classes to take just like high school.

2.  There are lots and lots of options to choose from.

3.  You can select many electives as well for both medical school and high school.

4.  You learn how to do research in both medical school and high school.

Here is something to read about:

http://www.pacificmedicalacls.com/first-medical-internship.html

• 4 weeks later...

If you liked all of the courses that high school has to offer, then you would love medical school.  Medical school has lots to offer; including practice sessions and clinic sessions too.  Medical school is also beneficial because it puts what you learn in the classroom to the real-world events.  I think that by learning through that particular way, you then learn how to become the best doctor possible.  When I was a student nurse, a lot of my classes were just classes.  I had one lab class that was part of my clinic time in a facility, but that is all that I had.  So, anytime that you have the ability to gain more knowledge on what you are learning, it is worth it.  This is some information about medical school:

http://www.pacificmedicalacls.com/acls-online-library-heart-disease-resource-guide.html

It is pertaining to the heart and information regarding the heart that you will be learning in medical school.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, if you liked high school, then you would like medical school, but it is different in some ways.  It is a lot harder than high school and you have to be disciplined.  That means that you have to work hard and keep up with your grades and grade point averages as well.  You also have to have a lot of courage to be able to do the work and complete it in a timely manner as well.  Good luck to you.  

Archived