Premed 101 Forums

Does Networking Matter In Medicine?

Just curious as I have never really seen this topic discussed.

I know that networking is a key factor to ones success in a business setting, however does that translate at all into the medical field?

Are you more likely to get a med school interview if you somehow network with professionals in the field?

I really have no clue about networking in medicine. I would assume that obtaining references for med school applications would be a form of networking, but I am unsure as to what other degrees networking would include. 

Just curious as I have never really seen this topic discussed.

I know that networking is a key factor to ones success in a business setting, however does that translate at all into the medical field?

Are you more likely to get a med school interview if you somehow network with professionals in the field?

I really have no clue about networking in medicine. I would assume that obtaining references for med school applications would be a form of networking, but I am unsure as to what other degrees networking would include. 

Connections won't influence whether or not you get into medicine (in the sense that knowing someone at the school won't help you get an interview/admission).

Networking is arguably necessary in the opportunities you seek out. Making connections can net you different experiences (in volunteering, employment, research, etc) which you would end up putting on your medical school application. It's not the fact that you know a certain individual which will help your application, it's the experiences that may result from networking with certain individuals.

Prestige of your references doesn't affect your application (in fact if your reference has a connection to a medical school they'll probably refuse to write you a letter out of conflict of interest).

Agree with the above.

Networking in medicine I'd say is more important once you are in medical school, with reference to residency applications and I suppose in terms of professional opportunities you seek later on as a full-time physician.

This is just my impression based on what I have read here as I have not started medical school yet.

Agree with the above.

Networking in medicine I'd say is more important once you are in medical school, with reference to residency applications and I suppose in terms of professional opportunities you seek later on as a full-time physician.

This is just my impression based on what I have read here as I have not started medical school yet.

yeah in terms of getting the final job it is important :)

won't help to get into medical school directly.

Networking can help at all stages, just in different ways and to different degrees.

For medical school admissions, networking can help find you land valuable ECs, as well as put you in touch with resources that help with the most important factors in admissions, your GPA and MCAT score. It won't get you an interview directly, or help during those interviews, but networking can set you up for success.

During medical school, networking helps find worthwhile projects and can get you in touch with good preceptors for elective rotations. It may help getting some face time with PDs, which in turn may help slightly with CaRMS, but it's still mostly indirect benefits. Like Bambi says, face time is the important factor, but networking can help get you quality face time.

I'm not there yet, but networking does seem to be an important aspect to finding a good job after residency, as it is for most professions. Who you know probably won't land you any jobs on its own, but many jobs aren't posted publicly, so networking is important in order to be aware of opportunities in the first place.

Archived