Premed 101 Forums

International Waitlist Movement

mgk21

Hello!

I was just wondering whether there's any chance the International waitlist will still move; it has only moved one seat so far (back in April), and I am starting to suspect that any further movement seems improbable.

Any insight from previous years would be most appreciated!

Thank you!

I feel your pain. I'm holding the #1 position on the Waiting List in the non-traditional pathway category. That means that out of 127 applicants in the NTP category, I finished fourth. The top 3 were made offers and all three have already posted on premed101 that they are accepting, so the likelihood of any waiting list movement for me is rather slim.

I feel your pain. I'm holding the #1 position on the Waiting List in the non-traditional pathway category. That means that out of 127 applicants in the NTP category, I finished fourth. The top 3 were made offers and all three have already posted on premed101 that they are accepting, so the likelihood of any waiting list movement for me is rather slim.

I am really sorry to hear that! This is so nerve-wracking, but I guess we should stay optimistic nonetheless (at least that's what I'm trying to convince myself)

Best of luck, I hope everything works out for the both of us, eventually !

I feel your pain BTJJ! If I understood correctly, two people actually got off the waitling list (myself and another person) for the NTP category and we were accepted the week after decisions were released in May. Hang in there. I know how hard it is having been waitlisted 3 years ago. But there's always hope right up until classes start. :)

Medmama,

I actually think that you and the other candidate were never really wait-listed and should have been given offers from the outset. I was assigned rank #1 two days before you and the other candidate posted that you were accepted. Also on McGill's waitlist page, they show that no one has been given offers from the waitlist for the NTP category and that the next offer will be made to rank #1. This is why I believe you and the other candidates were in the top three from the very beginning. I of course could be wrong since portions of McGill's admissions process are a little opaque, but my interpretation makes sense to me.

Thanks for you encouragement -  but I certainly won't hold my breath. Most waiting list movement is a result of candidates having received multiple offers and withdrawing once they have definitively decided on a particular school. With the nature of McGill's NTP category, I'd be surprised if any of the successful NTP candidates withdrew to attend another school - and I certainly hope none of you has to withdraw for personal reasons.

Mgk21,

As for the International category, my guess is that the only chances of movement are (i) a successful candidate obtains an offer in his or her own country (for example, a candidate sitting on an international offer from McGill may be on a waitlist in his or her home country); or (ii) personal circumstances require a candidate to withdraw. With the International pool being so small (like the NTP pool), I doubt that past years experience will have much relevance to this year - so we wait and hope.

Medmama,

I actually think that you and the other candidate were never really wait-listed and should have been given offers from the outset. I was assigned rank #1 two days before you and the other candidate posted that you were accepted. Also on McGill's waitlist page, they show that no one has been given offers from the waitlist for the NTP category and that the next offer will be made to rank #1. This is why I believe you and the other candidates were in the top three from the very beginning. I of course could be wrong since portions of McGill's admissions process are a little opaque, but my interpretation makes sense to me.

Thanks for you encouragement -  but I certainly won't hold my breath. Most waiting list movement is a result of candidates having received multiple offers and withdrawing once they have definitively decided on a particular school. With the nature of McGill's NTP category, I'd be surprised if any of the successful NTP candidates withdrew to attend another school - and I certainly hope none of you has to withdraw for personal reasons.

Mgk21,

As for the International category, my guess is that the only chances of movement are (i) a successful candidate obtains an offer in his or her own country (for example, a candidate sitting on an international offer from McGill may be on a waitlist in his or her home country); or (ii) personal circumstances require a candidate to withdraw. With the International pool being so small (like the NTP pool), I doubt that past years experience will have much relevance to this year - so we wait and hope.

Interesting! I also wonder if more than 3 NTPs could have been accepted this year. Wishing you the best!  :)

Hello MedMama and BTJJ,

5 NTPs got admitted this year. So BTJJ, MedMama and the other were probably truly on the waitlist. I'm one of the NTPs rejected post interview. Congratulations MedMama for the well deserved offer. Quote BTJJ: "-and I certainly hope none of you has to withdraw for personal reasons."; being in your position yet stating the above makes it clear that you're such a beautiful and selfless person BTJJ and I hope you get in off that waitlist for the right reasons such as people choosing to accept other med school offers elsewhere. All the best.

Hello MedMama and BTJJ,

5 NTPs got admitted this year. So BTJJ, MedMama and the other were probably truly on the waitlist. I'm one of the NTPs rejected post interview. Congratulations MedMama for the well deserved offer. Quote BTJJ: "-and I certainly hope none of you has to withdraw for personal reasons."; being in your position yet stating the above makes it clear that you're such a beautiful and selfless person BTJJ and I hope you get in off that waitlist for the right reasons such as people choosing to accept other med school offers elsewhere. All the best.

Thanks a lot for the information! All the best on your journey!

Interesting - but are all 5 NTPs from this year's applicants? IIRC, last year only 1 NTP was admitted since one deferred for a year and the other had to do the qualifying year. So those 2 NTPs are joining the med school this fall. If those 2 are counted in the 5, then it's still just 3 out of this year's applicants.

Archived