Premed 101 Forums

Need Advice How To Become Physician In Canada

Hello, everyone!

I'm looking for advice of where to go with my current situation. I am graduated medical school in Moldova (one of republics of USSR) in 2001.No residence training, just 6 years of med.school.I have diploma of general physician.In Canada from 2013(working visa-not as a physician).Got PR in May 2016. I understand that my odds to become phisician in Canada are near zero, but if i have any chance I want to try. From where i have to start. What to do. I read information on MCC website. But even for MCCEE i need training.Who provide such training or may be it will be more reasonable to forget about this and to study for paramedic or another health care profession. I am 47 and can not afford to study for 5-7 years.I am resident of New Brunswick.

Thanks in advance for the help. 

Been on this forum for many years and have never tried to discourage anyone at any age or stage in the game. I started med school late, have friends that started in their 40's, have friends who did med in another country and made it here. It pains me to say this but it is highly unlikely that you will be able to practice medicine in Canada and any route that would be open to you would require a sacrifice most would been unwilling to make; 5-7 years of study would be the beginning. Sorry my friend and best of luck.

Hello, everyone!

I'm looking for advice of where to go with my current situation. I am graduated medical school in Moldova (one of republics of USSR) in 2001.No residence training, just 6 years of med.school.I have diploma of general physician.In Canada from 2013(working visa-not as a physician).Got PR in May 2016. I understand that my odds to become phisician in Canada are near zero, but if i have any chance I want to try. From where i have to start. What to do. I read information on MCC website. But even for MCCEE i need training.Who provide such training or may be it will be more reasonable to forget about this and to study for paramedic or another health care profession. I am 47 and can not afford to study for 5-7 years.I am resident of New Brunswick.

I wouldn't bother, you're too far away from med school with zero residency training even in your home country.  

Given you cannot afford to study for 5-7 years, the pathway to becoming a doctor is definitely out of your reach. 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that is just how it is.

Given your situation, perhaps look into Physician Assistant programs, it's 2 years I believe, and salary and job prospects are very reasonable from what I've heard. I've seen some foreign grads from India/Pakistan doing this. It's a lot more safer option than trying to match to residency here or do USMLE since age is against you.

I think one of the biggest hurdles for your future career prospects is clearly the language issue.  Try and see if there is government subsidized English training including writing skills.  Once you are more confident and capable in English, I think you will have a better sense of your options.  This may take some time: at least 6 months if not a year.  I know how difficult improving a non-native language is - but, this will really help you.       

Hello, everyone!

Unfortunately like others have said your age is working against you. Medicine is very competitive in Canada and takes many many years to complete. 

I think the Nurse Practitioner is a good alternative. Like others have mentioned, the PA program isn't well established in NB yet. A career as an NP is similar in several ways to MD, you are independent and work in collaboration with doctors, not under them as PA'S do. As well you see patients, perform examinations and order tests and can write most prescriptions. The only con I can think of is it takes time, first you need a Nursing degree leading to RN plus 2 years experience, followed by a master's in nursing.

I think the Nurse Practitioner is a good alternative. Like others have mentioned, the PA program isn't well established in NB yet. A career as an NP is similar in several ways to MD, you are independent and work in collaboration with doctors, not under them as PA'S do. As well you see patients, perform examinations and order tests and can write most prescriptions. The only con I can think of is it takes time, first you need a Nursing degree leading to RN plus 2 years experience, followed by a master's in nursing.

Still a easier and shorter path than becoming a family physician. 

Hi everyone, I just want to let you all know that there NO employment market for PAs in Ontario and the ministry doesn't have a contingency plan or any kind of plan in place to support the PA profession. I was personally in touch with the ministry and they said that they don't have money to support us. I am a graduate of the class 2015 and has been looking for any kind of work with my PA degree from U of T since October 2015 and still unemployed. I was in touch with CAPA and confronted them about the fact that the job that are currently posted on their website are already hired PAs so there is NO jobs in fact and the same goes for HFO website, I personally emailed 50+ physicians in GTA who had experience supervising PAs and asked them for any kind of opportunity regardless of the pay or just a volunteer opportunity and guess what - nothing, non of them could offer anything. I basically told them that I am willing to work for a minimum wage just to practice my skills and nobody wants us lol. These PA programs should be closed until  there is an employment market actually exist. Please don't go to PA program. It is a waste of money, time, mental effort and broken hopes. This is the best advice I can give you. Shame on the province of Ontario. 

Hi everyone, I just want to let you all know that there NO employment market for PAs in Ontario and the ministry doesn't have a contingency plan or any kind of plan in place to support the PA profession. I was personally in touch with the ministry and they said that they don't have money to support us. I am a graduate of the class 2015 and has been looking for any kind of work with my PA degree from U of T since October 2015 and still unemployed. I was in touch with CAPA and confronted them about the fact that the job that are currently posted on their website are already hired PAs so there is NO jobs in fact and the same goes for HFO website, I personally emailed 50+ physicians in GTA who had experience supervising PAs and asked them for any kind of opportunity regardless of the pay or just a volunteer opportunity and guess what - nothing, non of them could offer anything. I basically told them that I am willing to work for a minimum wage just to practice my skills and nobody wants us lol. These PA programs should be closed until  there is an employment market actually exist. Please don't go to PA program. It is a waste of money, time, mental effort and broken hopes. This is the best advice I can give you. Shame on the province of Ontario. 

Wow, I had no idea. They should close the programs or at least be explicit that you're training to work outside of Ontario.

Please tell me this is a joke? Applying to PA programs across Canada was my back up plan in case I did not get into medical school in the following cycle. 

Archived