Premed 101 Forums

+1 Third Year Programs In Fm

Hello!

I'm doing my family medicine residency and will be done in April 2018.

I'm considering doing a third year program likely in care of the elderly. I'm looking into anyone's input into whether this would be useful?

I plan to do office work in a rural area in the maritimes and perhsps take on nursing homes and long-term care facilities.

Thanks

Hello!

I'm doing my family medicine residency and will be done in April 2018.

I'm considering doing a third year program likely in care of the elderly. I'm looking into anyone's input into whether this would be useful?

I plan to do office work in a rural area in the maritimes and perhsps take on nursing homes and long-term care facilities.

Thanks

My mentor does that sort of work in nursing homes and long-term care, and he said that the +1 isn't very necessary at all...especially if you can set up rotations in your FM residency that match your desire. 

Then again, he is very biased towards hands-on rural based FM residencies, where they tend to be able to get a lot more complex exposures and craft their paths.

Another colleague of theirs who does the same sort of work(this is in BC btw), said that she enjoyed her extra training in that realm, but didn't find it wholly all that extra helpful.

Sounds like you're already getting good experience then! Definitely no need to rush and do the +1 right away then. Better off just working, making money and learning as you go. Then if you still feel like you, or your patients could benefit you can go back and do it.

I'd talk to more recent grads of the +1s, and see if its necessary to do it right away after residency or not. Never know if they informally prefer fresh grads or not? No idea.

Archived