Premed 101 Forums

Looking For Information: Ottawa U Med French Stream?

Hello!

I am a Pre-med at Carleton University, thinking about applying to the Ottawa U French stream, I have a few questions:

1. French is my second language, and I am not perfect. What would be sufficient in terms of French to gain acceptance to the French stream? Can this be achieved through practice?

2. While in the French stream, are clinical rotations often done in English due to the patient demographic in Ottawa? How much English is used in the French stream?

3. How does getting your M.D in French impact your residency opportunities? Can you gain an English residency out of the French stream?

4. Is the French stream easier to get into? If so, why and how? Cut-offs? Successful applicant GPA'S?

Sorry for the word vomit^ I just have so many questions!

If someone would be so kind as to answer my questions, I would be delighted!

Thanks very much.

• 2 weeks later...

^I also had the same questions and was just wondering as well if it's still true that students in both streams would have the option of writing exams in English or French? And would students in the French stream have separate lectures than students in the English steam or would they just receive separate notes/textbooks? 

one comment - the exams etc are one thing but you will be going to french hospital for your clerkship as I understand it. As much as it might be nice to do things in english as it would be stronger language initially perhaps all the truly important grading later will require french.

Side note - I guess most doctors are still bilingual - I am curious how that works for LORs. Do you get two of them? What if those that know you best only speak french.

Archived