Premed 101 Forums

Advice For Choosing Courses And Electives In First Year?

Hey guys! 

I'm currently in the process of planning my courses for my first year at Queen's. Since I'm considering to major or specialize in life sciences later on, I already know that I'll be talking CHEM 112, BIOL 102/103, MATH 121, and PHYS 117. 

I have space for an elective. I'm thinking about PSYC 100, which I heard is a very popular choice, plus I really enjoy studying psychology. However, I would like to apply to medical schools in the future, so I don't know if it would be a better idea to take English during first year to fill that specific prerequisite and not have to worry about it later on? Or is it common for people to take in the summer, since it's probably a challenge to get a high mark in English? The other elective that I'm also considering is French.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions for me!

Thank you!  

As far as I know, English is only required for UBC and US schools. If you're looking mainly at ON for medical school, there is no real reason to take it.

I would hold off on the English and take something else that's easier to get a high mark in. If plans change and you consider UBC/US, you can always do English over the summer or in a later year where it wouldn't affect your GPA (i.e. take it in 4th year and it wouldn't affect your 4th year apps, etc.)

As far as I know, English is only required for UBC and US schools. If you're looking mainly at ON for medical school, there is no real reason to take it.

I would hold off on the English and take something else that's easier to get a high mark in. If plans change and you consider UBC/US, you can always do English over the summer or in a later year where it wouldn't affect your GPA (i.e. take it in 4th year and it wouldn't affect your 4th year apps, etc.)

Thanks! Are there any courses that you recommend? What's the best way of knowing the easiness or difficulty of a course before enrolling in it?

I can't speak to specifics at Queen's, but I agree with the above that English isn't really necessary unless you're from BC. In any case, like you suggested, English can be good to take in the summer if you aren't extremely strong at essays because it's  very hard to get A/A+ usually in english. 

Psyc could be a good choice especially because it is on the new MCAT. From what I've heard it's not necessary at all, but a bit of background certainly couldn't hurt. It's also a very interesting subject, especially upper-year courses on the more neurobiology/cognitive side of things. Really depends on interests. Personally, I really enjoyed taking psyc classes and found them a nice complement to biology

Thanks for your opinions! Right now, I am leaning towards picking psychology as my elective for first year.

I am wondering though, when people take English in their second or third year, is it usually an upper year English class or the introductory English class (ENGL 100) that they take?

Ethics and philosophy definitely sound interesting!

Also, another question... I heard that a lot of people take organic chemistry in the summer to lighten their course load for second year. Is this a good idea? Would it be a good idea to take that along with English?

Thanks for your opinions! Right now, I am leaning towards picking psychology as my elective for first year.

I am wondering though, when people take English in their second or third year, is it usually an upper year English class or the introductory English class (ENGL 100) that they take?

Ethics and philosophy definitely sound interesting!

Also, another question... I heard that a lot of people take organic chemistry in the summer to lighten their course load for second year. Is this a good idea? Would it be a good idea to take that along with English?

I wouldn't.....Orgo isn't any harder than any other course, at least I didn't find it so. It's very much like metabolic biochemistry, I found. Just lots of memorizing shapes :P  And patterns

I think doing many summer courses is usually a waste of time and money, and really sets you back for med apps if you're spending all your summers on courses. Summers are the prime opportunity to build on non-academics, which are hugely important

Archived