Premed 101 Forums

Geo 2144 (Tourism) - Is It Really That Tough To Get 90+? Which Year To Take?

I always hear about this course being an easy 80 but a really difficult 90, so I've been discouraged from taking it.. but it seems really tempting with my course load this year.

Is it the subjectivity that makes it harder? Would going to all the classes help in the slightest? Is there ANY way to have a higher likelihood of getting 90+? 

Deciding between this and a psych course..

Also, would anyone have an opinion on whether to take this in 3rd or 4th year if I'm in the phys module for med sci (which year I'd need the lighter course load)?

Thanks in advance!

I heard TAs giving out grades of 90+ is limited, they have to get approval from the professor or something like that. There are many electives that seem easy/interesting in other faculties like Classical Studies that wont limit your chance of a 90 straight off the bat 

I heard TAs giving out grades of 90+ is limited, they have to get approval from the professor or something like that. There are many electives that seem easy/interesting in other faculties like Classical Studies that wont limit your chance of a 90 straight off the bat 

Oh I see, that seems like pretty strict marking then. Thanks for letting me know.

Unfortunately I've already taken CS 1033/Math 1229/Classics 2300 so I've been pretty stuck on finding other "easy" electives that would interest me (Tourism always sounds so interesting  :( )

Classics 2200/2500

Geography 2010/2011

Psych 2070

Just a few electives that come to mind, haven't taken all of the above so can't speak too much from personal experience, except that the Geo's above I highly recommend (studying a few hours a week should net you a 90+)

Oh I see, that seems like pretty strict marking then. Thanks for letting me know.

Unfortunately I've already taken CS 1033/Math 1229/Classics 2300 so I've been pretty stuck on finding other "easy" electives that would interest me (Tourism always sounds so interesting  :( )

I would consider taking CS 2033 - the continuation for 1033. If you did well in the first year course you will definitely do well in the second year course. I found the concepts even easier to grasp and the three projects are relatively the same except that the final website project is more advanced but a lot of fun. I finished with a 92 in the course. Hope this helps!

I sat through one Tourism class and dropped it the next day, talk about boring! Lol - Take some more 1st year maths if you can, 1228, 1225 are also easy. CS1032 is also possible to get 90 in but not as easy as 1033. Earth Rocks! is also quite easy to nail a 90. Med Biophys 3501 was pretty easy to get a 90 in as well but I took it 4 years ago, Jackson was a great prof. 

Geo of Tourism: 80+ is almost guaranteed, 85+ depends on how reflective you are. People are descriptive (i.e. not reflective) when writing their responses for the exam (2 essays 2-3 pages each), but you must be reflective to get the 85+. For example, I went on vacation, I had fun, I went to place X, is not reflective. You must say what it means to you, did you grow as a person (some kind of epiphany), what did you learn, etc.

It's a piece of advice I didn't go knowing in, but finished with an 86. So, being reflective is something I did unknowingly. On the final exam (FALL Term 2015, may be different in the future) you got either 75 or 85 (I don't know the other marks they gave out for the exam). As mentioned above 90+ is rare on any assignment or exam, so just be REFLECTIVE and the 85+ is yours. On the assignments I got just below 85, plus there was a bonus mark. It's still a bird course, but everyone needs to understand that the course demands you to answer the EFFECT/RESULT OF YOUR TOURISM and NOT WHAT THE TOURISM WAS. Hope this helps.

*Side note, writing the essay to make the final worth less isn't worth it, at best you'll get 85 on that too, but it's easier to get 85 on the final, so it's redundant. 

-And definitely take this class in 3rd/4th year, but you probably won't get a seat in the class until then anyway because of the way course enrolment works

Geo of Tourism: 80+ is almost guaranteed, 85+ depends on how reflective you are. People are descriptive (i.e. not reflective) when writing their responses for the exam (2 essays 2-3 pages each), but you must be reflective to get the 85+. For example, I went on vacation, I had fun, I went to place X, is not reflective. You must say what it means to you, did you grow as a person (some kind of epiphany), what did you learn, etc.

It's a piece of advice I didn't go knowing in, but finished with an 86. So, being reflective is something I did unknowingly. On the final exam you get 75 or 85 (I don't know the other marks they gave out for the exam). As mentioned above 90+ is rare on any assignment or exam, so just be REFLECTIVE and the 85+ is yours. On the assignments I got just below 85, plus there was a bonus mark. It's still a bird course, but everyone needs to understand that the course demands you to answer the EFFECT/RESULT OF YOUR TOURISM and NOT WHAT THE TOURISM WAS. Hope this helps.

*Side note, writing the essay to make the final worth less isn't worth it, at best you'll get 85 on that too, but it's easier to get 85 on the final, so it's redundant. 

-And definitely take this class in 3rd/4th year, but you probably won't get a seat in the class until then anyway because of the way course enrolment works

Solid advice. Took this class and got 85 on both assignments and 83 on the final. Ended up with 84. Key is to be reflective as mentioned above. Also, to answer a question that was posted earlier, going to class is useful to get to know the prof. It helps you get a sense of what he is looking for in the assignments and exam. 

It's a piece of advice I didn't go knowing in, but finished with an 86. So, being reflective is something I did unknowingly. On the final exam (FALL Term 2015, may be different in the future) you got either 75 or 85 (I don't know the other marks they gave out for the exam). As mentioned above 90+ is rare on any assignment or exam, so just be REFLECTIVE and the 85+ is yours. On the assignments I got just below 85, plus there was a bonus mark. It's still a bird course, but everyone needs to understand that the course demands you to answer the EFFECT/RESULT OF YOUR TOURISM and NOT WHAT THE TOURISM WAS. Hope this helps.

Yep, got an 85 off mostly the final. Definitely more a reflective writing-heavy course and my experience/aptitude towards that helped, but the best part is that you don't have to go to class except for the lecture where the prof gives a bonus piece of info to those in attendance to bump up their exam mark. You can get that through networking though.

Archived