Premed 101 Forums

Chances Of Getting In

What are my chances of getting in? I have a perfect GPA from a chemistry degree. I have a few extra ciriculars. The problem is I'm from southern Ontario but I am living with my wife in northern Ontario. My wife was born and raised in the north and we plan on staying in the north. Age 21

With a perfect GPA, it'll depend on your extracurriculars, volunteering, and essay. A "few" extra-curriculars won't cut it for NOSM. Also, the "context score" that gives you points for where you've lived is calculated based on where you've spent the majority of your life. So, if you've lived in Northern Ontario for under 4 years, it won't help you because you're from Southern Ontario and (presumably) have lived there most of your life. It's not impossible to get in from Southern Ontario but the rest of your application and interview better be a heck of a lot better than some of your Nothern Ontario/Francophone/Aboriginal peers. I'd suggest really mentioning the fact that you want to stay in the North with your essays and doing as many extracurriculars you can from now to application.

However, something like 98% of last year's NOSM class was from the North or other rural places. If you don't have any of NOSM's demographic check marks (rural, Francophone, Aboriginal, from N/O), it might better to focus your efforts on applying to other schools or finding one that favours people from your area.

I'm originally from an urban centre in the prairies but I moved to NW Ontario in my early 20s where I put down some roots for a few years, met my husband, etc. I applied this year and was accepted (but I'm also Aboriginal and Francophone, which also likely have a role in my acceptance).

So don't lose hope! Try this year and see where it goes, but if you're unsuccessful, try again in a few years, after you've put down some good roots in your community and have demonstrated some leadership roles.

Best of luck!

Archived